GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,385 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Try this: Random scenarios and heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, guys.

Just thought I'd share how I've been playing.

I have three cores and all the expansions as they come out. I just play solo, one deck only. Now, if you've been playing awhile, it should be fairly easy to pick a scenario, and choose your favorite heroes and build a deck to beat it. Been there, done that. Of course there are exceptions (Dol Guldur), but generally its doable to beat the scenario.

So, my idea was this.

Randomly choose 4 different scenarios, and then randomly choose four teams of 3 heroes. The object is to build a deck for each team, (so 4 decks in total, 50 card decks) from the pool of all available cards. I make sure to choose scenarios that can be built concurrently, so as each deck is being built, it can be tried against any of the available scenarios to see which one it is best suited for.

I guess the goal would be to assign each completed deck to a scenario and defeat it, but I think getting 3 out of 4 would be a win, hehe.

For example purposes, I will show my first random setup. (Some exceptions to the random team generation, Aragorn cannot be on a team with himself and if one twin is chosen, the other automatically is too)

Scenarios:

The Massing at Osgiliath
Escape from Dol Guldur
The Redhorn Gate
The Long Dark

Teams:

Aragorn
Dain Ironfoot
Gloin

Eleanor
Frodo
Hama

Beravor
Bilbo
Thalin

Brand
Elladan
Elrohir

I started out building a great deck with Aragorn, Dain and Gloin and they made it through the Redhorn Gate and The Long Dark, but I figured they would have much tougher roads later. Beravor, Bilbo and Thalin seemed suited for the Long Dark with their great card draw (they never got Lost, hehe). Frodo, Eleanor and Hama, braved the Redhorn Gate, but I had to make sure they had Favor of the Lady attached before they got to Caradhras, and Eleanor kept an eye on the Weather Channel, ha.

So, I'm currently trying to get Aragorn, Dain and Gloin thru Osgiliath, I think I might be able to do it. The fun comes from cobbling a deck from the limited pool now that the others are built. No sharing allowed! If you have to pull cards from an existing winning deck, that deck has to prove itself all over again.

Lastly, I did try getting Brand, Elladan and Elrohir thru Osgiliath, but gave up. Maybe I will try again.

Anyway, thx for reading if you made it this far. Maybe somebody out there can succeed where I have failed, sauron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds fun. It seems as though you're playing these solo, not two-handed. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds really interesting -- thanks for sharing.

I'm way earlier in my LoTR journey: I've only got one core set and the first two APs. But even so I can see the game progressively getting easier with new cards, so -- and I can't believe I'm saying this -- I have been starting to secretly worry that it would get too easy as I keep adding APs and expansions.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences with this playing scheme!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, playing solo.

The idea of making three disparate heroes work together appealed to me. Even a team of three strong heroes with a high threat offers its own challenges.

Also, all the good cards can't be in the same deck. It forced me to look at cards I may not have before. Granted some hero combos may be nigh untenable, but oh well. I think getting 3 out of 4 would be acceptable. And, banging the decks against Dol Guldur for laughs could be fun too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
should be in variants =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let the ringbearer moderator decide.

Seriously, variants is probably the better spot, I agree. Though, I do not know the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
mdeuber wrote:
Let the ringbearer moderator decide.

Seriously, variants is probably the better spot, I agree. Though, I do not know the way.
Nothing that you can do, other than hit the red cross at the top, and select 'wrong forum'. I did that several hours ago, and I expect others have too. Eventually (and it is probably quicker if more folks do the red cross thing) an admin will notice, and do the move for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat idea. I've been considering something similar - building a 17 card mini deck for each hero (also from the total card pool). Then picking 3 heroes and bringing their decks with them to make a 51 card deck. Once chosen for a scenario, a hero could not be picked for the next scenario. That way, there would be an incentive to assign the stronger player cards to the weaker heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea. I've only been playing for a month, but I'm already overwhelmed at the vast number of ways there are to play this game. You can play one scenario until you beat it or play a different scenario every night. You can stick to the same heroes and decks or really change things around frequently. It's difficult to decide a manner in which to play that is fun and that also exposes you to everything the game has to offer.

Random scenario and random heroes sounds great and turning it into a type of 4 scenario is even more appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for commenting.

I'm still sticking with it, and I am still only on the 3rd iteration of random heroes/quests. Having four decks ready to go along with four scenarios set up, really lets you just play and switch off alot when the current quest gets a little old.

Generally two of the teams manage to beat two of the scenarios rather quickly, then you are left to struggle with getting the two remaining teams through the last two scenarios (with some borrowing maybe from the two completed decks, which requires them to prove themselves once again). So, sometimes I find myself in the mood to really tackle a difficult scenario. Other times, I just relax with one of the more cakewalk-y quests.

Just really enjoying this game and format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying it a tiny bit differently. Easier than your way, which I don't think I can handle just yet.

1) Draw two heroes at random; you may pick the third
2) Choose 4-5 scenarios, mix all those cards together; pick a scenario at random
3) Build your deck and play
4) If you win; randomly select one of the remaining scenarios; same heroes; you may rebuild your deck

Goal is to win as many scenarios in a row that you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great. Glad you are having fun with it.

It's definitely in the same vein. Let randomness pose a challenge to you and you have to overcome it.

I just needed a way to justify not choosing Eowyn every dang time. Removes that from the equation, hehe. I need structure, yet chaos. Weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely, it's too easy to play with the same heroes all the time, and it's too easy to not ever use some of the heroes who at face-value don't seem particularly useful. Also easy to get obsessed with trying to play the same scenario over and over again until frustration sets in and you get bored of the whole game.

I had a very nice experience using Bilbo for my first party using these rules and he didn't really turn me on at all the first time I saw him. I now think he's one of the best guys to have around.

If I choose my own heroes, they tend to always be the high cost superheroes. Doing it this way tends to lead to lower starting threat which leads to sometimes noticing new strategies that weren't available before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.