GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Small World: Realms» Forums » Rules

Subject: Relics and Special Places rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A J
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

Today I got my copy of the game. What I'm wondering is this. What do relics and special places do. Can't find any explanation in rule booklet.
And also what use are jeti and knight tokens for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobR132 wrote:
Hi,

Today I got my copy of the game. What I'm wondering is this. What do relics and special places do. Can't find any explanation in rule booklet.

If you're playing a scenario that needs Relics and Special Places, you will be playing with the Small World Underground version and those are explained in that Rule Book!

I believe the Yeti and Knight tokens are either explained in the rule book or they count as additional Monsters. I would have to look at my version, which isn't in front of me. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to the Underground rules, where you can learn all about "Popular Places" and "Righteous Relics".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for a quick reply.

However I cant't find Relic and Places explanation in my Small World Underground booklet. I included the photo of new relics (top left corner) and the rules of Relics and Places. I can't seem to find any explanations for those that came with Realms expansion.

Click on the photo to zoom it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have assumed that any new Relics and Places that come with Realms would be described in the Realms rule book.

How did you acquire Small World Realms? Do you have a play-test prototype copy? According to the DoW website, it's release date is July 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
15 july is release date for USA zone, however I've preordered it on Euro Store that has them in stock from 15.6.2012. So it is the original copy and does not have relics and places explained.

Best regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Mertens
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that the new relic in Smallworld Realms are just put in the box for your imagination. If you want to create your own scenarios you can use this new relics and create your rules for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It might be the reason. But what boggles me is that they are also used in premade scenarios, but no explanation whatsoever. I mailed the DoW for more info in this matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is the answer I've got. You were right.

Quote:
Thank you for your request.

The 7 miscellaneous tokens are to be used in scenarios of your own creation, with rules of your own creation.

Best Regards,

Natalie Ritzdorf
Customer Service
Days of Wonder
Play different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobR132 wrote:
This is the answer I've got. You were right.

Quote:
Thank you for your request.

The 7 miscellaneous tokens are to be used in scenarios of your own creation, with rules of your own creation.

Best Regards,

Natalie Ritzdorf
Customer Service
Days of Wonder
Play different.

I bought my copy today (Europe ftw) and was wondering about this too. Even though I like leaving things to my imagination, I think providing us with some options would have been a less easy way out. Maybe we can come up with some new relics and special places? Or are there any out there, already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I thought I'd take a long, hard look at the miscellaneous tokens and try and come up with a way to use them. Hoping for your feedback, this is what I came up with:

Mad Mill of Eunostus: [place]
Player who controls the Mill gets to roll the dice at the end of his turn. The Mill will yield Bonus VC equal to the number of pips rolled. The Mill will also receive extra defence equal to the number of pips rolled.
(inspiration: EUNOSTUS (Eunostos). A goddess of mills, whose image was set up in mills, and who was believed to keep watch over the just weight of flour. (Hesych. s. v.; Eustath. ad Hom. pp. 214, 1383.)

Ruined Realm: [place]
Upon discovering the Ruined Realm you receive the (immune) Defender of the Ruined Realm and move it to an adjacent region your active race occupies. You move it again in every turn in which you control the Ruined Realm. Player receives 1 bonus VC for every region the Defender is removed from the RR. When another player conquers the RR, the Defender is immediately returned to the RR and the process is repeated.

Ice Cold Pendant: [relic]
The player who discovers the Pendant controls the (immune) Yeti. The Yeti and Pendant cannot be in the same region (the Yeti would break it!). If the Yeti is placed in/adjacent to a mountainous region (the player controls), it yields 1 bonus VC. It yields 3 if the Yeti is on a peak.
(alternatively: Controlling the Yeti means the player can consider all mountain regions as adjacent and/or conquer them at a cost of -1 token.)
(inspiration: I thought it'd be fun to try and combine an immune token with a relic rather than a place, race or power)

Spirit of Olympia: [relic]
If the player who controls the Spirit has an active race occupying exactly five regions, each of a different terrain type, he receives 5 bonus VC per turn.
(inspiration: 5 regions, 5 Olympic rings)

Skull of Gold & Plenty: [relic]
Player receives VC equal to the number of tokens kept on the region the skull is placed in at the end of player's turn. (so after redeployment)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobR132 wrote:

If you put two of them together, one member of your race becomes a Jeti Knight and can wield a lightsaber.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bobR132 wrote:
But what boggles me is that they are also used in premade scenarios, but no explanation whatsoever.

Except for the Rusted Throne, the relics and popular places in the scenarios are supposed to come from SW: Underground. Of course, you can also use the new ones if you create rules for them. As for their function not being clear in the rulebook, check the list of components. It reads: "1 Rusted Throne and 7 Miscellaneous Tokens to use in Scenarios of your own creation."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FX Deio
msg tools
AernoutMJC wrote:
So I thought I'd take a long, hard look at the miscellaneous tokens and try and come up with a way to use them. Hoping for your feedback, this is what I came up with:

Mad Mill of Eunostus: [place]
Player who controls the Mill gets to roll the dice at the end of his turn. The Mill will yield Bonus VC equal to the number of pips rolled. The Mill will also receive extra defence equal to the number of pips rolled.
(inspiration: EUNOSTUS (Eunostos). A goddess of mills, whose image was set up in mills, and who was believed to keep watch over the just weight of flour. (Hesych. s. v.; Eustath. ad Hom. pp. 214, 1383.)

Ruined Realm: [place]
Upon discovering the Ruined Realm you receive the (immune) Defender of the Ruined Realm and move it to an adjacent region your active race occupies. You move it again in every turn in which you control the Ruined Realm. Player receives 1 bonus VC for every region the Defender is removed from the RR. When another player conquers the RR, the Defender is immediately returned to the RR and the process is repeated.

Ice Cold Pendant: [relic]
The player who discovers the Pendant controls the (immune) Yeti. The Yeti and Pendant cannot be in the same region (the Yeti would break it!). If the Yeti is placed in/adjacent to a mountainous region (the player controls), it yields 1 bonus VC. It yields 3 if the Yeti is on a peak.
(alternatively: Controlling the Yeti means the player can consider all mountain regions as adjacent and/or conquer them at a cost of -1 token.)
(inspiration: I thought it'd be fun to try and combine an immune token with a relic rather than a place, race or power)

Spirit of Olympia: [relic]
If the player who controls the Spirit has an active race occupying exactly five regions, each of a different terrain type, he receives 5 bonus VC per turn.
(inspiration: 5 regions, 5 Olympic rings)

Skull of Gold & Plenty: [relic]
Player receives VC equal to the number of tokens kept on the region the skull is placed in at the end of player's turn. (so after redeployment)

I like your idea for the Mad Mill, which is simple and nice (it is sort of a random version of the Keep of Motherland).

I love your idea for the Ruined Realm, which I think is really original.

For the Ice Pendant, the idea of combining an immune token to a relic seems very good to me, but I have a concern about the power you are suggesting: usually, a relic must be placed in a precise region to yield its special effect. Here, there is no particular constraint on the placing of the relic, which I think is a bit of a pity. For example, the Yeti could allow to conquer a region with one token less (and/or yield an additional VC) if he is placed in the same type of region where the Pendant was placed this turn; and this bonus could be doubled for peaks?

The Spirit of Olympia seems too difficult to use. Though the bonus is interesting, I fear that it would be considered as a "useless" relic with this kind of power... To keep its spirit of bringing people and things together, my suggestion is that it could give a bonus of 1 VC for each relic your races (both active and in-decline) possess. (But I am missing a placing constraint here...)

And finally, the Skull of Gold and Plenty is too powerful in my opinion: when you get it, it becomes useless to conquer new regions, as you just have to stack all of your tokens in the same region as the Skull to maximize your score.
I would change it to a "Skull of Apocalypsme" ("this word is far too difficult to pronounce!"): once per turn, you can place the Skull in a region that is adjacent to a region controlled by your active Race. An Apocalypse is triggered in this region; if there are tokens in it, they must be removed the exact same way as if the region was being conquered (i.e. for active races, lose one token and redeploy the others - except for elves; for in-decline races, lose all of the tokens - except for ghouls; etc.). The region attacked with the Skull must not be considered yours; and as it was devastated, it cannot be conquered again until the beginning of your next turn. I am not sure this is perfectly balanced though, so feel free to comment.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your ideas, some of them are very inspiring!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look in the component descriptions of the Realms rulebook, on the top of page 3 there is a note by the Relics description saying:
"7 miscellaneous tokens to use in scenarios of your own creations"

only one the "rusted throne" is actually used by one of the scenarios of the realms rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Aernout,
You would probably get more input on your ideas for the relics/places if you posted them in the Variants forum.

To the OP:
FWIW, my U.S. version has an explanation for what the relics/places are in the front of the rulebook, in 8 languages. It's found on page 3, at the top. Both pages 2 and 3 are a list of all the components in the box, with explanations next to them. The English reads just as the previous 2 BGGers have typed it out.

I'm surprised that the European release of the game didn't have this information, since there are more people in Europe than the USA that speak languages other than English.

Perhaps your rulebook was printed or assembled improperly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.