GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,912 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Summoner Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Best starter set? (Not Master set) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drift -
msg tools
Hi guys, I bought the Master Set a few months back, love the game. I'm just looking at what is in stock at my game store. I'm buying a second board for 4 player games, and also picking up Mercenary and Filth decks (only single decks in stock).

Aside from that I'm thinking of grabbing one of the original starts, I figure a paper board would be nice for transportation, plus a few extra dice would be convenient. Questions is which starter is best? Or are they even worth it... It's about $12 for a deck, or $35 for a starter...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the Cave Goblins vs Guild Dwarves. The GD are pretty vanilla but they can become very specialized for wall destruction if you want to pursue that.

The CG are one of the factions that integrate most with their events. Event combos can make for some epic turns.

I feel like PE vs TO is a bit basic. This is considered a good set to start people out on, but if you are playing with people already familiar with the Master Set, they may not be necessary (at least until you break down and buy everything).

I feel GD vs CG is the more versatile/flavorful pack while PE vs TO is more straight forward and beginner friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starter set MSRP is only $25, don't pay more than that. Single decks should only be $10. Is there another game store you can go to? That's a huge upcharge on starter sets.

Yes starter sets are worth it. I prefer Guild Dwarves vs. Cave Goblins because Cave Goblins are one of the most fun and unique decks in the game. Two of their commons are free, and then they have events that encourage you to swarm the enemy with a ton of units.

The other three armies in the starter sets are good too. They are the three most straightforward armies in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cirone
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also would recommend the Guild Dwarves vs. Cave Goblins starter set, as the Cave Goblins are very interesting to use. Also, if introduce anyone new to the game Guild Dwarves would be a good faction to start them with since they are straightforward and have two of the most powerful champions, Grog and Baldar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drift -
msg tools
Nice, concensus! Guild dwarves vs cave goblins it is Even though Pheonix Elves just sound awesome lol.

And thanks Joseph, I realise it's overpriced, but I live in Australia, everything is overpriced This is actually one of the cheaper stores!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh ok that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
I really like the Cave Goblins vs Guild Dwarves. The GD are pretty vanilla but they can become very specialized for wall destruction if you want to pursue that.

The CG are one of the factions that integrate most with their events. Event combos can make for some epic turns.

I feel like PE vs TO is a bit basic. This is considered a good set to start people out on, but if you are playing with people already familiar with the Master Set, they may not be necessary (at least until you break down and buy everything).

I feel GD vs CG is the more versatile/flavorful pack while PE vs TO is more straight forward and beginner friendly.

Yeah, agree on that.

Sucks about the cost to Australia, I'm guessing ordering through Plaid Hat directly still winds up being more after shipping. You should get some friends together and start a Down Under Games so that you can provide Aussie gamers with your own content on the cheap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Argo
United States
Durant
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think PE vs. TO is probably the best set for absolute beginners, though I personally think the GD vs. CG set is more entertaining to play. The Cave Goblins are actually pretty unusual and their strategies are ambiguous at first.

That said, since you already have the Master Set, then I concur with the other posters: you'll get a kick out of the GD and CG! I remember my first few games with Sand Goblins...I kept trying to play them like Cave Goblins and got stomped. A friendly tip: the Cave Goblins play NOTHING like the Sand Goblins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The army the Cave Goblins play similarly to, in my opinion, is the Mountain Vargath. They're both aggressive, wall-threatening factions, who have a few cool event combos and who can be aggressive with their summoner yet have some tricks to keep him from harm.

The difference is as a Cave Goblin player you have little or no regard for your units' lives, which is all part of the fun theme. :)

So if you find the Vargath fun, that you've gotta pick up GDvsCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tundra Orcs and Phoenix Elves. Still 2 of my favorite factions in the game (I own everything).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found Phoenix elves to be the easiest to give to first timers. Just need to warn them that the faction rewards aggression. The only player I taught who didn't like the game turtled her elves and was crushed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.