GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,405 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Ambush!» Forums » General

Subject: Difference between LMG and MMG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Frandsen
United States
Kanab
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good day all,
I thought someone else would have asked this by now, but I can't find it anywhere in the forums. Does anyone know the difference between an LMG and an MMG, besides their names? They both require 3 port boxes to carry, and, according to the player aid screen, have exactly the same stats. If they truly are indistinguishable in terms of functionality, then what is the point of having both, other than to represent the real-life existence of both?

A big thanks to anyone who helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Siegel
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps asked when the game originally came out? Good point.

However, in later expansions there are Clip-Fed LMGs carried by Germans. It is much better than the MMG if you are lucky enough to salvage one, IMO, even with the WS penalty. If I recall it isn't as much of pain since it isn't a crew weapon but uses the same stats (or so I recall, I don't have Purple Heart/Silver Star/Move Out in front of me at the moment--buried in the closet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have the game at hand, but wasn't there in difference in range?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Frandsen
United States
Kanab
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7times7is49 wrote:
Perhaps asked when the game originally came out? Good point.

However, in later expansions there are Clip-Fed LMGs carried by Germans. It is much better than the MMG if you are lucky enough to salvage one, IMO, even with the WS penalty. If I recall it isn't as much of pain since it isn't a crew weapon but uses the same stats (or so I recall, I don't have Purple Heart/Silver Star/Move Out in front of me at the moment--buried in the closet).

Hmm ... interesting info! I'm just dying to play those expansions once I finish the base game. However, I still don't feel that the exact similarity between the two weapons is justified, even if there are different versions of them in the expansions. I feel like I'm missing something.

PunTheHun wrote:
I do not have the game at hand, but wasn't there in difference in range?

According to my stat screen, the range is exactly the same for both weapons. I even looked up errata for the game to see if this was a misprint, and it doesn't seem to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Siegel
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the 80's, as I recall, games were being driven by the god-like rules of ASL with a push towards simulation. Perhaps the fact the US had HMG and MMG (splitting hairs) like the Browning M1919 vs. the LMG of the MG34/42. Just classifications to make WWII purists happy, even if the stats are the same (which they weren't but the mechanics work for the game).

I've played the whole range off-and-on for twenty years and never caught that. Perhaps you should seek employment as a copy editor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Frandsen
United States
Kanab
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7times7is49 wrote:
I've played the whole range off-and-on for twenty years and never caught that. Perhaps you should seek employment as a copy editor?

That's a good suggestion, Matt. It's just crazy enough to work! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the only difference is that the LMG used a bipod and the MMG used a heavier tripod, which kept it steadier, so more accurate over longer ranges, which would give you the chance for more hits on target. Plus, I believe that a LMG crew would be 2 guys with less ammo, while the MMG had more guys, the extra carrying more ammo, so you could keep it firing a lot longer.

So, even though they'd be the same gun, they should have somewhat different stats...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vasquez
United States
APO
AE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, outside of the game, a Light Machine Gun would typically cover weapons in the 5.56mm NATO caliber range, such as the M249 SAW, whereas a Medium Machine Gun would cover 7.62mm caliber, such as the M60.

A Heavy Machine Gun would obviously be a larger caliber, like the .50 BMG. The M2 Browning is probably the most well-known HMG.

EDIT: My mistake. The M240 replaced the M60. Same caliber though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bfg9001 wrote:
Well, outside of the game, a Light Machine Gun would typically cover weapons in the 5.56mm NATO caliber range...

We are talking WW II here... your remarks on US weapons are probably correct, for the German WW II MGs Roger is nearer to the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.