GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,017 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Number of sets to buy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, folks,

This question is probably too early given we don't know the card distribution yet, but I'm wondering how many sets to buy if I want to achieve having at least 2-3 runner and 2-3 corp decks on hand at any given time (both for quick-changeup variety and for multiple simultaneous games if we have 4 players). I realize the game will have 3 of each card, given FFG's newer trend in LCG's, but I also know I tend to favor certain cards in deck designs for other games, and would likely gravitate toward them if the rules allow their inclusion in multiple decks.

Do we know if every card is faction specific? Or are there "neutrals". Neutrals are going to be a big factor in how many decks you can have at once (at least until some expansions arrive) since in other card games they tend to be utility cards of worth.

I guess more than anything, I'm fishing for insider info here

Thanks,
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that you won't get insider info, but what's certain is that there's a lot of discussion and trolling surrounding your question in the forums already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I realize the game will have 3 of each card, given FFG's newer trend in LCG's

Hopefully you're right. But FFG did the exact opposite of this with The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. There are numerous "how many copies of the base game do i need?" threads on that topic over there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
My guess is that you won't get insider info, but what's certain is that there's a lot of discussion and trolling surrounding your question in the forums already

I must have missed the thread focused on this, sorry. I flipped through the titles at least...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rykaar wrote:
haslo wrote:

I must have missed the thread focused on this, sorry. I flipped through the titles at least...

Well, nobody asked your exact question indeed The thread LCGs and card distribution is all about card counts and distribution models and number of sets to buy though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with one. You need it to play the game.

Play it. You need to have played the game to determine if the core set doesn't meet your needs.

Make additional purchases. Based on need defined in step 2.

-=-=-

If you really want to hedge your bet, buy two but leave one in shrink and return it if you find the base core set meets your needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Given that they are introducing factions in the core game, my guess is you'll be able to make a deck of each faction, or at least close. I'm not sure what the deckbuilding requirements were for the original Netrunner, but I don't believe it's a 60 card minimum deck. I think somewhere I saw 45, but I'm not sure. Either way, the core set is being set at 252 cards from what I've heard, assuming half and half Runner and corp, even with a 60 card min that's 2 decks of each type. They may not be insanely competitive, but they'd be enough to play. If the minimum deck limit is less than 60 it should bump the power of each of those based on how you build them.

All this is speculation on my part of course, but it seems as good as any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
10. Buy 10 sets. This will help show that the game is popular and needs continued support. You should be able to build at least 2 working decks from that.

Ok, I'm joking. Too early to tell now, so BT has the right of it - buy one and evaluate from there whether you need more. Only go with more than one if there's some crazy $100 shipping to where you live, but additional sets ship free or some such noise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll start with just one set, too. Can always expand from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Play it. You need to have played the game to determine if the core set doesn't meet your needs.

This is far too measured and reasonable. It's an actual plan AND it answers the OP's question!

I do not think one can sustain this kind of thinking on BGG. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

This is far too measured and reasonable. It's an actual plan AND it answers the OP's question!

I do not think one can sustain this kind of thinking on BGG. laugh

Thanks for all the responses, folks. I should have realized the answers would have been a mix (often in the same response) of helpfulness and a bit of ridicule for asking such a silly question at this point. I think part of posting was just throwing a Hail Mary that another vital piece of info would magically emerge in this thread--another glimpse of what's in store for a game that I'm otherwise simply stuck waiting impatiently to own and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we did learn of Anonymous Tip recently...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edwin20er wrote:
Given that they are introducing factions in the core game, my guess is you'll be able to make a deck of each faction, or at least close. I'm not sure what the deckbuilding requirements were for the original Netrunner, but I don't believe it's a 60 card minimum deck. I think somewhere I saw 45, but I'm not sure. Either way, the core set is being set at 252 cards from what I've heard, assuming half and half Runner and corp, even with a 60 card min that's 2 decks of each type. They may not be insanely competitive, but they'd be enough to play. If the minimum deck limit is less than 60 it should bump the power of each of those based on how you build them.

All this is speculation on my part of course, but it seems as good as any.

Original Netrunner had deck minimums of 45 on both sides.
Corp was further limited by the amount of Agenda points in the deck, to the formula of:
Decksize = (AgendaPoints/2)*5 {and the AgendaPoints calculation is rounded down, so 19/2 = 9}.

They've announced 252 cards, 7 of which are those 'unique faction' ID cards, leaving 245 pieces of card stock. 245/7 = 35.

We may be looking at new deck minimums (meaning you could allow as little as 14-15 points of Agenda in the Corp Deck), or we are looking at the reuse of certain common cards across decks to bring us up to that 45 card minimum. Either they're going to annoy the die hard NR 1.0 fans with a changed minimum, or you're going to annoy the people who want to have a few decks 'ready to go' who don't want to have to swap in some core deck cards every time they play.

Regardless, we'll know by GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Netrunner is only two player game vs. Lord of the Rings lcg that can be played allso with 1-4 players. So if you wanted (like I did) to put together 4 competative decks, you needed a lot of cards...
Now you only need to have 2, so one set should be great and if you really want to push it maybe two?
In anyway one should be just fine if you are not going to make multible decks from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal_pjv wrote:
Also Netrunner is only two player game vs. Lord of the Rings lcg that can be played allso with 1-4 players. So if you wanted (like I did) to put together 4 competative decks, you needed a lot of cards...
Now you only need to have 2, so one set should be great and if you really want to push it maybe two?
In anyway one should be just fine if you are not going to make multible decks from the beginning.

2 player and absolutely no crossover between the two main roles of Corp and Runner, which helps your argument further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McCabe
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm planning to pick up two sets at GenCon. That should give me more than enough cards in a base set draft with for both Corp and Runner decks for four people. That is my hope at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

2 player and absolutely no crossover between the two main roles of Corp and Runner, which helps your argument further.

Great point, and one that I think a lot of those championing multiple base sets, based solely on past LCG familiarity, are forgetting: Netrunner was both less card dependent and inherently asymmetric, so the pressures for multiple sets were inherently lessened as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
One core set is the correct answer in my mind. if you can, read the rules online first and/or watch the introduction videos that FFG often releases to accompany their games. Then come here if you need more information. Then buy one core set.

After playing with the core set, you may come to find (as I often do) that you want/NEED more copies of some of the cards. If "some" is a big enough number, it is time for a second copy. Repeat as needed until the expansions start. Those are easy: one and done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:
They've announced 252 cards, 7 of which are those 'unique faction' ID cards, leaving 245 pieces of card stock. 245/7 = 35.

I'm sort of expecting two factions to be left without preconstructed decks (but maybe some cards included cross-faction in the other decks), leaving five 50-card decks (with the identity card counting against the deck size) and two unused identity cards. My understanding is that they've done this (base set not having decks for all factions) with other LCGs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They did this with Game of Thrones (4 out of 6 factions in core box) and Warhammer (4 out of 6 in core box) but included all the factions in Call of Cthulhu (7 out of 7) and Lord of the Rings (4 out of 4).

I think alot will depend on if you create mix faction decks or not. Game of Thrones and Warhammer are mostly mono faction decks, whereas Cthulhu is mixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Lovelace
United States
Amsterdam
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is based on netrunner which had only 2 factions.. corp and runner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner has 7 factions. 3 runner, 4 corp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on getting three sets - enough for me to play any corp/runner deck I want x2.

That way my friend and I can play what we want to play at Gencon - also, I was planning on getting a double playset of the game anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be getting 2 sets, giving me playsets and some extras of everything except the singletons, where I'll have 2 of those. I have a hunch any singletons in the core set distribution will be things I can live with having only 2 copies of.

Having enough extras of critical cards and neutrals will be a good reason to have multiple sets too, so you can assemble multiple decks on each side at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 sets for myself, with probably 3 additional sets to bring home for others if I can manage it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.