GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,261 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1803 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [73] | 

The Resistance» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: PBF26: Seeker Variant, 7p, SPIES WIN (1-3) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: resistance_clydeiii_asmod [+] [View All]
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
PBF26: 7p DonE's Seeker Variant

This PBF will be a standard 7p Resistance PBF with all of the usual rules:

1 Don't communicate with players outside of this game's thread about the game
2 All in-game actions must be in bold
3 There is no rule three
4 All votes and mission actions will be GeekMailed to the moderator in private
5 4 Resistance, 3 spies, 5 missions, 5 proposals per mission, 2 3 3 4 4 players on each mission with the fourth mission requiring two fails for spies to get a point
6 Best 3 of 5 points wins

However, there is one slight twist to this particular game. One player, selected at random and known to all, will be called The Seeker. The Seeker is just like any other player, except that they don't know what role they've been dealt. If they are a spy, they do not realize this, nor do they know who their fellow spies are. If they are Resistance, they do not realize that they're on the side of good. They must seek out their role over the course of the game and ultimately bring victory to the side they are on.

After Mission 1 goes and comes back with results, the Seeker will be allowed to discover the identity of one of the players at the table. They will give an order in public (bolded) that they wish to do this and to which player, and the moderator will reveal to them the chosen player's identity (spy or rebel) via a GeekMail. After Mission 2 comes back with results, the Seeker will get another opportunity to examine the role of another player. After Mission 3 comes back, the Seeker will get one final chance to look at another player's role. These are the only three opportunities for the Seeker to look at other players' role cards. After that, the Seeker must use deduction and logic to determine their role. They win with their given role, regardless of what it is, regardless of what role they believe they have. The Seeker, when assigned onto approved missions, may pass or fail them, as if they were a Spy.

Tips:
For the Seeker, you must use every tool in your power to determine your role and win with your side. That means hoarding as much information as possible and, potentially, causing as much confusion as possible. You may lie about the what what information was revealed to you at the end of Missions 1-3, or you may tell the truth, or you may simply not say anything about what you know until you see a better time to do so (typically around M4 or 5). You may pass OR fail missions, your choice, but both have consequences. If you're a spy but passing missions, you might inadvertently lose the game for your side. If you're a Resistance player failing missions, you buy yourself some more time to help deduce your role, but you're giving the other side valuable points and allowing them to hide. Ultimately, you must decide what is in your and your team's best interests, given what little information you have to work with.

For the Resistance, it's your job to convince the Seeker they're on your team, regardless of whether or not they are. Even if you believe them to be a spy, you must argue the opposite, perhaps by even a bit shady yourself (but still passing missions).

For the Spies, it's your job to convince the Seeker they're on your team, regardless of whether or not they are. During the "spy reveal" phase, you will be told whether or not the Seeker is in fact a spy. Of course, a loyal Resistance member would not be privy to such information, so you cannot come out directly and state this. You may, however, attempt to convince the Seeker that, based on the voting, proposals, and results, that they must be a spy by process of elimination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF26: Seeker Variant, 7p, SIGN UP NOW
Player Roster (signup order):

1. djgutierrez77
2. emilynp
3. Acope27
4. BlueTorch
5. PseudoPserious
6. improvius
7. Azgard12

Seating order (randomly determined):

1. BlueTorch
2. PseudoPserious
3. improvius
4. Acope27
5. Azgard12
6. djgutierrez77
7. emilynp (Seeker)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
M1.1 - BlueTorch proposes Blue and PP, with Blue and Emily voting yes, all others no

M1.2 - PP proposes PP and Brady, with Brady and Emily voting yes, all others no

M1.3 - Imp proposes Imp and Brady, with only Brady and Emily voting yes

M1.4 - Adam proposes Adam and DJ, with Adam, DJ, Imp and PP voting yes, all others no

M1 mission cards are PASS, PASS

Emily selected to view PP

M2.1 - Brady proposes Brady, Blue, PP, with Brady and Blue voting yes, all others no

M2.2 - DJ is proposes DJ, Adam, Imp, with DJ, Adam and Imp voting yes, all others no

M2.3 - Emily proposes PP, Brady and Blue, with Emily voting yes, all others no

M2.4 - Blue is proposes DJ, Adam, Imp, with DJ, Imp and Blue voting yes, all others voting no

M2.5 - PP proposes DJ, Imp, PP

M2 mission cards are PASS, PASS, FAIL

Emily selected to view DJ

M3.1 - Imp proposes Imp, Blue and Brady, with Emily, Imp and Blue voting yes, all others no

M3.2 - Adam proposes Adam, DJ, Imp, with Adam and DJ voting yes, all others no

M3.3 - Brady proposes Brady, PP, Blue, with PP and Brady voting yes, all others no.

M3.4 - DJ is proposes DJ, Adam, PP, with PP and DJ voting yes, all others no.

M3.5 - Emily is proposed Brady, Blue and Adam

M3 results are PASS, PASS, FAIL.

Emily viewed Blue.

M4.1 - Blue proposes Blue, Brady, Adam and Imp (two fails required), with Blue voting yes, all others no

M4.2 - PP proposes PP, Blue, Adam, DJ, with PP, Blue, DJ and Brady voting yes, all others no

M4 - PASS, PASS, FAIL, FAIL

SPIES WIN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Explanation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam C
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam C
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
improvius wrote:
Explanation?

IMP -

Here are the basics. One player is randomly assigned the role of "seeker." They are not informed of whether or not they are a spy or a member of the Resistance - they must play blindly. Because they do not know if they are a spy or rebel, on missions they are on they are permitted to throw a pass OR a fail.

After m1 is completed and before the first m2 proposal, the seeker is allowed to select one player and finds out that player's role. The purpose of this role reveal is to assist the seeker in determining what team they are on. The seeker may choose to tell the truth about the other person's role, lie about their role or say nothing.

After m2 is completed and before the first m3 proposal, the seeker gets to select a different player and find out that player's role. After this second role reveal, the seeker receives no more information. Again, the seeker may tell the truth about the 2nd person's role, lie or say nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I would play this if plot cards were used. Otherwise I think I'll pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
And I assume the spies will know the role of the seeker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam C
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
improvius wrote:

They will know because if the seeker is a spy, only one other person would be explicitly revealed to them as a spy. But then they need to figure out a way to use the seeker effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
improvius wrote:
Imp, you should play this variant...it's awesome. Trust me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I have to say, the idea of someone in the game not knowing what their goal is troubles me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
improvius wrote:
I have to say, the idea of someone in the game not knowing what their goal is troubles me.
Their goal is to deduce their role and win for their side. It's literally the most fun role to play, I think, because it's social deduction times 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Pserious
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!
badge
I dislike the Canadiens. (The hockey team, that is, not people from Canada in general.)
mbmbmbmbmb
improvius wrote:

It troubles me too.

It troubles me so much that I want in and that I feverently hope that I'm the Seeker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
PseudoPserious wrote:
improvius wrote:

It troubles me too.

It troubles me so much that I want in and that I feverently hope that I'm the Seeker.
Heh. I've already had one player GeekMail me a request that they become the seeker. We all wanna be the Seeker of course, but sadly, only one of you can. It'll be determined randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam C
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clyde - I thought the seeker only got two role reveals?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt C
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still room?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueTorch wrote:
Still room?
Yep!

Adam, according to DonE, who GMed me, at 7+, seeker gets 3 looks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to sit this one out. I have enough trouble managing one Resistance game at a time. No way I could deal with two at once.

I am curious to see how the Seeker thing plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Ok I'm in. Damnit.

EDIT: Oh, and Emily is in, too! Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This looks fascinating and I've always kind of thought it would be a neat strategy to not look at your role card (except that the rules don't allow for it) so this should be interesting.

I think one PBF is enough for me though and PBF25 will be going for a while so I'll pass but I'm definitely going to be watching this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to play.

I've read PBF 15-20 and really would like to participate, but I don't have an avatar yet. I'm a teacher so I am very free over the Summer and can follow the rules in a timely fashion. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt C
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azgard12 wrote:
I'd like to play.

I've read PBF 15-20 and really would like to participate, but I don't have an avatar yet. I'm a teacher so I am very free over the Summer and can follow the rules in a timely fashion. modest

What do you teach?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam C
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azgard12 wrote:
I'd like to play.

Let's get this started!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueTorch wrote:
What do you teach?

8th Grade Reading/Language. It's a blast.

I've been going nuts of boredom lately and started reading all of these games. Love it and think it'd be fun to participate. It's just really hard poking your head in with so many posters who are already "greats."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam C
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azgard12 wrote:
BlueTorch wrote:
What do you teach?

8th Grade Reading/Language. It's a blast.

I've been going nuts of boredom lately and started reading all of these games. Love it and think it'd be fun to participate. It's just really hard poking your head in with so many posters who are already "greats."

I'm sure you'll do great. You know everyone's tricks anyways!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [73] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.