GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,067 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I've been diving back into the gaming world heavily in the past year and it's become very obvious recently, that I need to find a good gaming group.

If it matters:

I'm in my early 30's, am a "professional", and have a well developed sense of humor. I'm well traveled, young at heart, well socialized (like a good puppy dog) and get along with everyone, so ethnicity, age, sexuality, etc, don't matter to me.

(this is starting to sound like a personal ad)

I'm looking for a group that is competitive, but one which mostly wants to have fun. The type of people that really like to work their brains while they socialize and who desperately try to win... but when they lose, they laugh and say, "let's play again. I'll get you next time."

I'll play anything. I'd love to be playing more Dominion, but I'll play anything from 7 Wonders to Dominant Species (though I must admit I've never played Dominant Species. Kinda seemed like a good example of a longish-deep euro-game.)

I know this sounds incredibly arrogant, but I can guarantee that I will make for a mighty addition to any group, and you'll be very happy to have me around. So if you've got a good group going, or are trying to start something up, please let me know.

I have the ability to host game nights in very comfortable environs.

Thanks for your attention, and have fun out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played at End Game in Oakland. I've mostly played at their Sunday war-games day, but I think they have other events as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely intend to check out their open game night. I want to say it's on Wednesday. I just thought I'd see if I could get a more targeted response here.

Thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Endgame's board game night is on Wednesday. There's also a group who meets in Alameda on Tuesday nights. I'm pretty sure there's a group or two in the Berkeley area, but I don't know the details there. Maybe they'll chime in here.

How east is "East Bay" to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to endgame on Wednesday night there is also Games of Berkeley on Tuesday night and Thursday night at Eudemonia (also in Berkeley). Wide range of games played, dominant species was there this past Tuesday as was red dragon inn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daw65 wrote:
Yup. Endgame's board game night is on Wednesday. There's also a group who meets in Alameda on Tuesday nights. I'm pretty sure there's a group or two in the Berkeley area, but I don't know the details there. Maybe they'll chime in here.

That's a tricky question. If there was a really good group of people, I might be willing to drive a bit. I'm just north of San Leandro in Oakland.

Rather than trying to describe boundaries, I'm inclined to ask if you have a group that is in a particular location? If so, maybe you can give me a bigger hint and I can let you know if it seems feasible.

Brentwood might be a bit further than I'd like to go on an regular basis, if that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
In addition to endgame on Wednesday night there is also Games of Berkeley on Tuesday night and Thursday night at Eudemonia (also in Berkeley). Wide range of games played, dominant species was there this past Tuesday as was red dragon inn.

That's the Berkeley group I sort-of remembered.

Misterboy wrote:
daw65 wrote:

That's a tricky question. If there was a really good group of people, I might be willing to drive a bit. I'm just north of San Leandro in Oakland.

Rather than trying to describe boundaries, I'm inclined to ask if you have a group that is in a particular location? If so, maybe you can give me a bigger hint and I can let you know if it seems feasible.

Brentwood might be a bit further than I'd like to go on an regular basis, if that helps.

There are a group of us who get together on Wednesday nights in San Ramon. It's not as far as Brentwood, but not as close as Endgame, or Berkeley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
daw65 wrote:
There's also a group who meets in Alameda on Tuesday nights.

The Alameda Board Game Group meets on Tuesday nights from 6:30 - 10:00 pm at the Blue Danube Coffee House at 1333 Park Street. Turnout is usually between eight to twelve eager folks, and we are primarily a 30+ age group. We also have regular get-togethers at various folks houses for all day gaming. Stop on by sometime!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daw65 wrote:
There are a group of us who get together on Wednesday nights in San Ramon. It's not as far as Brentwood, but not as close as Endgame, or Berkeley.

Public group or mostly private? San Ramon isn't terribly far as I'm practically in San Leandro already, and I'm right off of 580.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WereSloth wrote:
[q="daw65"]
The Alameda Board Game Group meets on Tuesday nights from 6:30 - 10:00 pm at the Blue Danube Coffee House at 1333 Park Street. Turnout is usually between eight to twelve eager folks, and we are primarily a 30+ age group. We also have regular get-togethers at various folks houses for all day gaming. Stop on by sometime!

Are you the same group that I saw on an old list of Bay Area groups? Did you use to meet at a different coffee shop?

In any case, thank you for the invite. I think I'll have to take you up on the offer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
daw65 wrote:

Public group or mostly private? San Ramon isn't terribly far as I'm practically in San Leandro already, and I'm right off of 580.

It's kind of semi-public. We meet at the house of one of our members (who's also a regular here at BGG), and we do have a Yahoo Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trivalleygamers/

We've been on a bit of a hiatus due to a combination of vacation and business travel, but expect to resume this coming Wednesday. We have three "regulars" (which includes myself and our host), and 2-4 semi-regulars. New folks are welcome, but we like to talk with folks first just to make sure that their expectations and our expectations line up.

So yeah, if you're curious, we can continue this in GeekMail, or go ahead and join the group and we can continue the conversation there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
San Ramon isn't terribly far as I'm practically in San Leandro already, and I'm right off of 580.

Remember to hit DunDraCon in February. Do the usual networking through the games you sign up for, and ask which city others are from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanthi Gonzales
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Boogie, the world's cutest dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in Oakland, too, and my home group is the Berkeley Board Gamers. I am one of the folks that played Dominant Species last week, and we will be playing again soon. I usually go on Tuesdays, but we actually meet on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays!

I highly recommend our group because it's big, so the time you show up doesn't matter that much; there are usually a few people milling around looking for a game. We're a friendly bunch, with a wide variety of gaming interests.

Another good groups in the area: Diablo Valley Board Gamers, if you don't mind driving a little. Bay Area Games Day is about once a month, but more of a trek. They meet at the Los Altos Public Library.

I don't care for Endgame; folks there tend to be a little older and (IMHO) less welcoming of new people. It's also less diverse than the Berkeley group.

Feel free to send a Geekmail if you have questions. I know of some other area game events, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Muscat
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
I like geese
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sent you a private message

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Snyder
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
Is the Alameda group still meeting at Blue Danube?

I ask because the link to the yahoo group says Javarama.

I've recently moved back to the island and would like to play some games but I'd feel foolish showing up at the wrong coffee shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we meet every Tuesday evening at 6:30-7. I guess the name of the coffee house changed a while back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this still a thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infernarl wrote:
Is this still a thing?

What exactly? Several groups are mentioned in this thread.

If you're asking about the Alameda game group, it is still a thing, though I have stopped going myself.

They still meet every Tuesday. Here's a link to the Facebook group:

Linky link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anything happening in Oakland that is not Endgame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.