GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,019 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero : The Disciple (beta) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sid M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Presenting
The Indefatigable Disciple

Get him!

The PDF of all the cards (61 MB) : http://www.mediafire.com/view/?80qkxdv6f1g9622

What's missing?

Play-testing and artwork.

Introduction

This hero started out as a gameplay mechanic idea (wouldn't it be cool if...). As the hero got fleshed out more and more, I took inspiration from old Kung Fu flicks, Fist of the North Star and eventually, History's Strongest Disciple (which got the Disciple his name and some of his moves).

Backstory

The Disciple is a martial arts prodigy. He practices Karate, Muay-Thai and Kalaripayattu. He has never lost a martial arts tournament. His passion for the arts is insatiable - and this has brought him to people who he considers his betters: giants like Haka and Mister Fixer - to be their disciple and learn their arts.

Superheroes are busy people, so the Disciple started accompanying them on their quests. Not afraid of getting into a scrap, he would often jump into their combats - and found that he could hold his own ground. Though looked upon by the established heroes as someone who's out of his element, the Disciple has shown unwavering devotion and dedication to his training and is a force to be reckoned with.

Playstyle

- He fires off rapid-fire combos of fists, knees and kicks, dealing "tons of damage"; before finishing the combo off with signature moves that staggers even the strongest villain.
- Mostly single target damage.
- He rapidly burns through the deck.
- He keeps moving cards around between his hand, trash, deck, environment targets and villain targets.

New Concept

Unboostable: Certain cards' (combos) damage cannot be boosted by any means. So, 1 damage is 1 damage, regardless of Ra's Imbued Fire, Legacy's Galvanise, etc.

The Cards

The Indefatigable Disciple, 27 HP.
Youthful Vigour: Power: Move 1 card from your trash to your hand.
Incapacitated side
- Select a hero. That hero deals 2 melee damage to a target.
- Select a player. That player may take a card from their trash into their hand.
- One player may play a card now.

Equipment (2 total)

2x Victorious Gi (Equipment, Limited)
Increase damage of Finishers By 1.
Whenever you draw a combo card from your deck, you may take a combo card from the trash into your hand.
When you play this card, till the start of your next turn, you are immune to damage and to equipment and ongoing destruction.

Ongoing (12 total)

(2x 3 mutually exclusive breaths)

2x Sukha Pranayam (Breath, Ongoing) (The Breath of Flame)
When you finish a combo, deal an additional 2 irreducible, unboostable melee damage.
When this card enters play, first, destroy all other Breath Cards in play. Second, deal 2 irreducible unboostable melee damage to a target. Third, draw a card. Fourth, play a card.

2x Kapalbhati (Breath, Ongoing) (The Shining Breath)
When you draw a combo card from your deck, you may look at the top card of your deck. If it is a combo card, add it to your hand. Otherwise, discard it.
When this card enters play, first, destroy all other Breath Cards in play. Second, draw a card. Third, play a card.

2x Sheetali (Breath, Ongoing) (The Calming Breath)
Reduce damage dealt to the Disciple by 1.
At the end of your turn, Heal 1 HP.
Power: Discard 3 cards. You may now destroy an ongoing card.
When this card enters play, first, destroy all other Breath Cards in play. Second, draw a card. Third, play a card.

(2x 3 mutually exclusive stances)

2x Tenchi Jouge (Stance, Ongoing) (The Stance of Overpowering Aggression)
Increase damage done by finishers by 1.
Power: Play a Combo Card.
When this card enters play, destroy all other Stance Cards in play. If this is the first card of your turn, play a card.

2x Kokutsu-Dachi (Stance, Ongoing) (The Back Stance)
Once per round, redirect the next 2 damage done to the Disciple to any target.
When a hero target is attacked, you may choose to counter the damage dealt by playing combo cards against the source of the damage.
When this card enters play, destroy all other Stance Cards in play. If this is the first card of your turn, play a card.

2x Sikap-Pasang (Stance, Ongoing) ("Standing Position")
The first time you take damage during a round, you may draw a card.

Oneshots (26 total)

2x Second Wind (One-Shot)
You may move any number of combo cards from your trash and your hand into your deck. Shuffle your deck.
Heal yourself for 1 plus X/3, where X = number of cards moved.

(2x 3 Finishers)

2x Exploding Palm (One-Shot, Finisher)
Deal X energy damage to a target, where X = number of combo cards under the target.
Discard the combo cards. You may play a Stance card.

2x Dragon Kick (One-Shot, Finisher)
Deal X melee damage to a target, where X = number of combo cards under the target divided by 2. You may deal that damage to 2 other targets.
Discard the combo cards. You may play a Stance card.

2x Kao La (One-Shot, Finisher) (The Farewell Knee)
Deal 1 melee damage to a target.
Take half of the combo cards under the target back into your hand, discard the rest. You may play a Stance card.

(18 Combo Cards)

2x Kao Tone (One-Shot, Combo) (The Flying Knee)
Deal 1 target 1 unboostable melee damage.
After playing this card, you may place this card in your trash or under the target. Once you do that, you may play another combo card or finisher card.
While this card is under a target, damage done by finishers to the target is irreducible.

2x Ki Strike (One-Shot, Combo)
After playing this card, you may place this card in your trash or under the target. Once you do that, you may play another combo card or finisher card.
While this card is under a target, increase damage done to the target by 1. Ki Strikes do not stack. Discard this card at the start of your turn.

2x Stunning Blow (One-Shot, Combo)
While this card is under a target, reduce damage dealt by the target by 1. Stunning Blows do not stack. Discard this card at the start of your turn.

4x Shotei Uke (One-Shot, Combo) (Scooping Block and Counter)
If this card enters your trash during your play phase, you may take a combo card from your trash into your hand, If it is a Shotei Uke card, it cannot be played this turn.

4x Sonic Boom (One-Shot, Combo)
Deal 1 target 1 irreducible, unboostable sonic damage.

4x Marmam Strike (One-Shot, Combo) (The Pressure Point Strike)
Deal 1 target 1 irreducible, unboostable energy damage.

Total : 40 cards.

Flavour text

Victorious Gi
"Dressed for success!" - The Disciple

Sukha Pranayam
"The breath of fire provides rather explosive results!" - The Disciple

Kapalbhati
"Hfff... Pfff... Hfff... Pfff... Hfff... Pfff..." - The Disciple

Sheetali
"Hffff... Calm... Hfff... Down... Hffff...." - The Disciple

Tenchi Jouge
"The stance just looks reckless. It isn't." - Mister Fixer

Kokutsu-dachi
"Sometimes my defense becomes my best offense." - The Disciple

Sikap-pasang
"That's a great stance you have there, kid!" - Haka
"Thanks! I try!" - The Disciple

Exploding Palm
"Fractures? Internal Injuries? Compounded! Hyaaaah!" - The Disciple

Dragon Kick
"Did he just ricochet off that mook onto that one?!!! And now that one!!" - Wraith

Kao La
"Rwaaaaaarrrrrrgh!" - Enraged T-Rex

Second Wind
"No, I think I can still fight." - The Disciple

Kao Tone
"A knee to the face? This kid has style!" - Haka

Ki Strike
"Osu!" - The Disciple

Stunning Blow
"Let me show you the sound of one hand clapping!" - The Disciple

Shotei Uke
"Good Block! Excellent Counter!" - Mister Fixer

Sonic Boom
"Go home and be a family man." - The Disciple

Sonic Boom
"Did he just punch faster than me?" - Tachyon

Marmam Strike
"You are strong, Master Haka, but your pressure points are still vulnerable!" - The Disciple

Suggested Artwork

Victorious Gi
A shiny Gi with lots of lens flare. Also, sunglasses.

Sukha Pranayam
?

Kapalbhati
?

Sheetali
?

Tenchi Jouge
?

Kokutsu-dachi
?

Sikap-pasang
?

Exploding Palm
A palm is striking a torso, creating a shockwave. You see the X-ray of the torso, with bones getting pulverised by the shockwave.

Dragon Kick
You see the Disciple's afterimage on a thief (flat on the ground), then an afterimage on an informant (falling, but currently at 45 degrees to the ground), about to kick an enforcer.

Kao La
An angry T-rex is screaming in pain. Afterimages of the disciple are all around the T-rex, hitting him in different places (starting from the bottom) and culminating with The disciple kicking the nape of the T-rex's neck.

Second Wind
?

Kao Tone
The Disciple is performing a jumping knee which has knocked Ambuscade's side arm (the CHC) out of his hands.

Ki Strike
The Disciple is punching a Thoratian smack dab in the middle of his face.

Stunning Blow
?

Shotei Uke
The Disciple has blocked and moved aside a Blade Battalion minion's polearm weapon with his left gauntlet, while simultaneously moving in and punching him in the gut with his right fist.

Sonic Boom
You see two semicircular yellow shockwaves flying through the air. (Do I really have to explain this? It's Guile's Sonic Boom!)

Marmam Strike
You see two fingers punch a point between the elbow and tricep of a Citizen, causing a rippling shockwave.

Postscript
First post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Geek! Here, have some geekgold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus II
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting, I'll probably try to playtest this one myself. See one typo though, Youthful Vigour should read "Move 1 card from your trash to your hand." instead of discard pile, to match up better with the rest of the deck and the general terminology the game uses.

Btw, how'd you get the circle around the icon? It looks just like the one on the real cards. I've been trying to figure out how to do it myself but haven't found out how yet.

EDIT: I think I see now, you took it from one of the extra large pictures and trimmed the excess so it still has decent resolution, though would still love to figure out how to make the actual circles they use sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
He looks really neat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
One potential problem I am seeing is that the combo cards (at least the ones that aren't irreducable) are going to be very vulnerable to villain and enviro effects that reduce damage. You could end up playing an 8 card combo, and do no damage if Baron Blade had a shield or if voss or dawns reduction minions were in play.

The finisher would still hit hard, though.

A possible option would be to make all the combos irreducable. That might make them TOO strong though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koga wrote:
Looks interesting, I'll probably try to playtest this one myself. See one typo though, Youthful Vigour should read "Move 1 card from your trash to your hand." instead of discard pile, to match up better with the rest of the deck and the general terminology the game uses.

Btw, how'd you get the circle around the icon? It looks just like the one on the real cards. I've been trying to figure out how to do it myself but haven't found out how yet.

EDIT: I think I see now, you took it from one of the extra large pictures and trimmed the excess so it still has decent resolution, though would still love to figure out how to make the actual circles they use sometime.
Yes, you guessed right (I clipped it off the Unity card). I have also changed the typo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's new in this version?

Flavour text and card art ideas. Also, mechanical changes.

I found that the Disciple spent a lot of time setting up his Stances and Ongoings, and not enough time doing fun stuff (i.e. Punching things). So, I added some things that'll let him get more things onto the board quickly. In addition, I looked at other powerhouses (like Ra), who dealt between 2 - 9 single target damage per round (averaging around 5.5) and I felt the Disciple needed to come up to snuff. The Disciple's utility is rather low, so he ought to be able to deal with his stances and breath quickly and keep up his damage.

Victorious Gi: (addition) "When you play this card, till the start of your next turn, you are immune to damage and to equipment and ongoing destruction."

Why? Why not? More to the point, if you know there's going to be a big chunk of damage coming your way, playing the Victorious Gi just so will help you avoid it. The sight of The Disciple standing there in a sparkly new Gi feeling absolutely cocky and ... invulnerable ... ought to be a sight to behold!

Breaths: When you play a breath, you now draw a card and get to play a card. That way, you can change your strategy/playstyle without giving up your play phase completely.

In addition, when you deploy the Sukha Pranayam you deal a target 2 irreducible, unboostable melee damage... To give the villains a taste of what's to come.

Stances: If the first card you play in your turn is a Stance, you get to play another card. Once again, this was done to ease in the "setup" phase of the game, and get The Disciple out and punching as soon as possible.

Second Wind: "You may move any number of combo cards from your trash and your hand into your deck. Shuffle your deck. Heal yourself for 1 plus X/3, where X = number of cards moved."

I found that sometimes the trash had combo cards that wasn't divisible by 3. Adding combo cards from your hand lets you round out the number and heal for more, if you want to do so.

Finishers: You may play a Stance card.

So, you do your awesome Tenchi Jouge and deal a solid finisher. Now you reposition after your barrage and fluidly change your stance into something that benefits your strategy! (Countering damage, or maybe drawing more cards!) I think this will help the hero flow better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wouldn't call him complete yet. He needs more playtesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy frowns on people who are such poor team players.

Why give him several cards that do the same thing, but different names? (unless I'm misreading his combos, he really just has 10 regular combos and 8 irreducible ones)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Why give him several cards that do the same thing, but different names? (unless I'm misreading his combos, he really just has 10 regular combos and 8 irreducible ones)

His gimmick is to put a bunch of cards under a target, and then "explode" all the pent up damage / internal injuries with his finishing moves. That requires him to have a whole lot of combo cards.

While you could have just two cards covering both the combos "IRREDUCIBLE" "NOT IRREDUCIBLE", you miss out on a lot of flavour, the chance to mix in different damage types (I am already mulling a change to Marman Strike (Energy damage), and Ki Strike to (Projectile damage)) and perhaps do something different with the combo cards. (Ideas would be welcome )

Imagine how boring it would be if it read, "The Disciple attacked the T-Rex, attacked the T-Rex, attacked the T-Rex, attacked the T-Rex, attacked the T-Rex, attacked the T-Rex, and then finished the T-Rex off with a finisher."

versus

"The Disciple rushed the T-Rex, stunning it with a Sonic Boom. As the T-Rex reeled, he kneed the T-Rex in it's right shin, and then punched the T-Rex in the same spot. He then struck a pressure point that immobilised the T-Rex's right leg. The T-Rex thrashed, but he blocked the tail by scooping it up and punched his left foot. He then hit another pressure point on the T-Rex's left foot, immobilising it. The disciple then wound up, and unleashed an exploding palm on the T-Rex, which compounded all the injuries it suffered, shattering bones, rupturing ligaments, and bringing the T-Rex to its demise!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had missed that one of them did a different damage type. That's certainly enough to justify it having a different name.
Having one do Energy damage would be likewise and I like it.
I just feel like there should be a bit more variety in what they do. Maybe throw in one that doesn't actually do any damage by itself, but lets you draw a card?
Some extra nifty setup moves could be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Shultz
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second this. Here are some new directions you could take things.

Contemplative Strike

Deal 1 target 1 unboostable Melee damage. Draw a card.
You may play a combo card or finisher card.

Art: the Disciple striking an enemy with an open palm.
Text: "Let me show you the sound of one hand clapping."

Stunning Blow

Deal 1 target 1 unboostable Melee damage. Until the start of your next turn, reduce by 1 all damage that target deals. You may play a combo card or finisher card.

Echoing Palm

Deal 1 target 1 unboostable Melee damage. You may play a combo card or finisher card.
When this card is removed by a finisher card, the Disciple deals the target 1 Melee damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, all combo cards have two components.

The first component is that they all do 1 unboostable damage.

The second component is as follows:

Marmam Strike
Irreducible, Energy

Sonic Boom
Irreducible, Sonic

Kao Tone
While this card is under a target, damage done by finishers to the target is irreducible

Ki Strike
While this card is under a target, increase damage done to the target by 1. Ki Strikes do not stack. Discard this card at the start of your turn.

Stunning Blow
While this card is under a target, reduce damage dealt by the target by 1. Stunning Blows do not stack. Discard this card at the start of your turn.

Shotei Uke
If this card enters your trash during your play phase, you may take a combo card from your trash into your hand, If it is a Shotei Uke card, it cannot be played this turn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ki Strike and Stunning Blow now add team utility to the Disciple.

You can combo and then Ki Strike the villain, and not use a finisher on him. Sure, the Ki Strike gets trashed when your turn next arrives, but you just helped boost damage of all your teammates by 1 (a galvanise!). So, was it worth the trade off to delay your finisher by 1 turn? You decide!

Similarly, Stunning Blow will help control the damage dealt by the villain (e.g. The Operative, or The Matriarch).

Shotei Uke's trash combo retrieval means that it can retrieve itself for consistent damage. (Or you could take an irreducible combo card to beat damage resistance, for instance).

Kao Tone makes finishers irreducible. Always a good thing to have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With all these tools at his disposal, he seems to be in a good place now. I took him out on a test ride earlier today, and he seemed to flow well.

His damage was consistent and decent (in one memorable round, he dealt 20 damage to 3 targets). Of course, he didn't deal as much max. damage as the Legacy boosted Tempest (Chain Lightning followed by 2+2 damage hail storm? INTENSE!); but he felt the he flowed a lot better.

What do you folk think? (Yes, the cards in link found in the original post have been updated)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ki Strike and Stunning Blow would be AMAZING things to do to the villain, with the intent of leaving them there for the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus II
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To prevent infinite combos of Shotei Uke you may want to change it a bit.

Most likely change to "If this card enters your trash during your play phase, you may take a combo card other than Shotei Uke from your trash into your hand."

This way it still gets combo cards back but prevents it from doing an infinite combo with another one in the trash. Without revealing too much I'd like to say that Argent Adept from the new Infernal Relics expansion has a card that specifically prevents it from retrieving another copy of itself from the trash to prevent it from being overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koga wrote:

Most likely change to "If this card enters your trash during your play phase, you may take a combo card other than Shotei Uke from your trash into your hand."

This way it still gets combo cards back but prevents it from doing an infinite combo with another one in the trash. Without revealing too much I'd like to say that Argent Adept from the new Infernal Relics expansion has a card that specifically prevents it from retrieving another copy of itself from the trash to prevent it from being overpowered.

Ah yes, the "VS" card.

That said, I am not entirely unopposed to infinite Shotei Uke combo *at the moment*. I will need to play test it further (and so do you! ). (Justification: Other damage dealers like Ra, Tempest or Wraith can easily output a consistent 6+ damage with just 2 cards down on the table.) (I've had a game vs Akash'Bhuta where Mister Fixer dealt nearly 60 damage to her in 1 turn.)

The SU doesn't beat damage resistance, so do you keep cycling them for larger finishers; or do you give up on a SU cycle to grab a card that's irreducible or maybe a +1 damage to the whole team? This behaviour gives the player a choice, which I think is a good thing.

(If it turns out to be overpowered, we can tone it down)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
How in the heck did Mr. Fixer get a 60+ damage turn?

I can see a 20 damage turn... overdrive, style, tool, bloody knuckles, maybe some buffs...

but 60? I'd love to hear how that happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus II
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bytegod wrote:
Koga wrote:

Ah yes, the "VS" card.

That said, I am not entirely unopposed to infinite Shotei Uke combo *at the moment*. I will need to play test it further (and so do you! ). (Justification: Other damage dealers like Ra, Tempest or Wraith can easily output a consistent 6+ damage with just 2 cards down on the table.) (I've had a game vs Akash'Bhuta where Mister Fixer dealt nearly 60 damage to her in 1 turn.)

The SU doesn't beat damage resistance, so do you keep cycling them for larger finishers; or do you give up on a SU cycle to grab a card that's irreducible or maybe a +1 damage to the whole team? This behaviour gives the player a choice, which I think is a good thing.

(If it turns out to be overpowered, we can tone it down)

The way it is now, if the villain has no damage reduction, you could defeat them on your first turn with Shotei Uke, you play it, send to trash, take from trash into hand, repeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braithwhite wrote:
How in the heck did Mr. Fixer get a 60+ damage turn?

I can see a 20 damage turn... overdrive, style, tool, bloody knuckles, maybe some buffs...

but 60? I'd love to hear how that happened.

The Atlantean Font of Power spat out Overdrive for Fixer, on my turn, I played Bloody Knuckles. Add in Grease Monkey Fist + Jack Handle + Harmony, with 7 villain targets on board. (AB has a mechanic that I won't spoil at the moment)

Koga wrote:
The way it is now, if the villain has no damage reduction, you could defeat them on your first turn with Shotei Uke, you play it, send to trash, take from trash into hand, repeat.
Ah yes, Right. You are meant to retrieve just one combo card per round per Shotei Uke card. The wording wasn't clear enough.

Shotei Uke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
ah, 60 total to multiple targets. I was thinking 60 to a single target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braithwhite wrote:
ah, 60 total to multiple targets. I was thinking 60 to a single target.
There is a AB mechanic where hitting multiple villain targets (there's a condition you need to fulfill first) backlashes onto the villain itself.

~~~

Just updated the PDF with the new Shotei Uke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.