GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How interesting do you think is Magic 2013 (Duels of the Planeswalkers) for a 100+ games Magic player? I have the free iPad version (with 3 decks), and I'm trying to decide whether I should buy the full version or not.

What prevents me from buying the full game right away is that the rules of Duels of the Planeswalkers are not exactly the same as paper Magic (priority does not work the same, for instance), so I'm afraid it won't offer the same challenges. Another reason is that I'm afraid that the decks will not be that interesting, as the game seems to be geared toward less experienced players.

I don't mind the limited deck customization, as I like to jump right into a game; also, the number of match-ups between the 10 or so decks is large enough for my taste.

What's your take on Magic 2013, from the perspective of a paper Magic player with some experience (100+ games)?

PS: For those who have played with the great Magarena Magic program, I would be interested in learning about how you compare Duels of the Planeswalkers with Magarena, in terms of how interesting the gameplay is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing since Ice Age, and I really enjoyed Duels 2012. I instabought Magic 2013 for my iPad, and I've already played it for many hours. They choose a lot of really fun cards, so you get to play with crazy things you wouldn't get to in "serious" play. As long as you can enjoy Magic casually, you'll like it even if you're a pro. There certainly are a lot of interesting decisions, and I know a lot of intermediate players whose play has improved a lot as a result of playing duels. I'd say go for it, it is only $10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play magic, I'd see no reason to play something pretty much designed to get non magic players into the game.

Some people like it. You have the demo, how can you not decide if you like it? It's just more of the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeGusta wrote:
It's boring the heck out of me. Mono-colour decks?!?

There are some multicolor decks. I think there will be more as they expand it, but monocolored decks are a good starting point for new players both for simplicity (you don't have to think about what land to play) and to help players learn the color identities.

I'm not sure any of the monocolored decks would be improved by adding another color, they are pretty standard archetypes: goblins, white weenie, green fatties,... these date back to Magic's earliest ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
How interesting do you think is Magic 2013 (Duels of the Planeswalkers) for a 100+ games Magic player? I have the free iPad version (with 3 decks), and I'm trying to decide whether I should buy the full version or not.

I only just started M13 today, but have played the earlier DotP. The challenges did get harder. Not tremendously so, but enough to be entertaining IMO. I think I played every deck through every opponent in the last version, and fiddled some with the Archenemy games. It's not like playing serious Standard/Legacy/EDH with veteran players, but that's not to be expected. I mean... it's $10. That's less than a draft, and I certainly got more hours out of it.

Quote:
What prevents me from buying the full game right away is that the rules of Duels of the Planeswalkers are not exactly the same as paper Magic (priority does not work the same, for instance)

What specifically were you trying to do? The newbie-friendly interface makes it easy to miss response opportunities, but I've never found it impossible to do something I wanted if I paid attention. Just keep your finger poised over the Stop Timer button. There are a few points, like upkeep, that get skipped. But I haven't found any cards where that's mattered. There are some settings you can fiddle with to allow more freedom as well.

Quote:
...so I'm afraid it won't offer the same challenges.

Again, the decks are clean, modern ones, so I don't see any significant loss. You're not playing a Legacy Storm deck, so you don't need complicated stack maneuvers here.

Overall, I think the game is a fine value for $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
Monocolored decks are a good starting point for new players both for simplicity (you don't have to think about what land to play) and to help players learn the color identities.

Totally agree, more for the color identity part than the land-counting issues. Understanding what the colors do best is fundamental to understanding the game, and monocolor decks help a lot there. If I understand the packaging I've seen correctly, it looks like the paper M13 Intro Decks are monocolor as well. That's a huge improvement, IMO. I've seen plenty of new players get so wrapped up in cool, clever things that they don't learn the fundamentals - tempo, when to trade, how to evaluate a race, what to remove, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 1000's of games played and have played since the mid nineties. DOTP 2012 was really cool and from what I understand 2013 is even better. I have some life things going on right now, but I plan on downloading it in a couple weeks when things slow down.

It has a deck builder and the online play is pretty good. Wherever you heard the issue with priority is wrong. So far as I can tell the game is the same in all respects with one minor issue on not being able to choose the mana you tap. Though the game typically taps the right stuff occasionally it taps out a color that you could use.

It is a must buy in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Wherever you heard the issue with priority is wrong.

The "active player has priority" rule is replaced by the "timer" interrupt, for instance, so priority is indeed handled differently in Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013.

Syvanis wrote:
So far as I can tell the game is the same in all respects with one minor issue on not being able to choose the mana you tap.

There is an option in the 2013 that allows you to choose which lands to tap, which was welcomed by many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
You have the demo, how can you not decide if you like it? It's just more of the same.
The full (iPad) version actually gives you a few important, qualitatively different additional things, including online one-on-one play and two-headed giant, and different (more interesting?) decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
tppytel wrote:
Overall, I think the game is a fine value for $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
Syvanis wrote:
Wherever you heard the issue with priority is wrong.

The "active player has priority" rule is replaced by the "timer" interrupt, for instance, so priority is indeed handled differently in Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013.

Active player still has priority, they just didn't give you a button that says "Pass Priority" every time there's a stack. Not that it matters much, (in M12 at least) the AI refuses to use instants any time other than a main phase.

Anyhow, based on M12 I'd recommend the game. It's a good chance to play the archetypes that would get laughed at in standard play or the ones you're simply not used to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a player since Ice Age, and someone who still plays competitively today, I still enjoy the 2012. I'm not going to buy 2013, but it's very much worth the $10 to play around with. In 2012 at least, you expand beyond mono color decks as you go along and the "puzzles" are quite fun and challanging.

It's worth it, but also a bit awkward to "play bad cards" if you're used to busting out top tier decks every week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:

PS: For those who have played with the great Magarena Magic program, I would be interested in learning about how you compare Duels of the Planeswalkers with Magarena, in terms of how interesting the gameplay is.

I'd warn you, similar Google projects have appeared and quickly disappeared. Enjoy it while you can, before WOTC wises up to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
stagger lee wrote:
It's worth it, but also a bit awkward to "play bad cards" if you're used to busting out top tier decks every week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jack of spades wrote:
Not that it matters much, (in M12 at least) the AI refuses to use instants any time other than a main phase.
They appear to have fixed this in M13: you can play Instants during the Declare Blockers Step, for instance (after tapping the hourglass icon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
jack of spades wrote:
Not that it matters much, (in M12 at least) the AI refuses to use instants any time other than a main phase.
They appear to have fixed this in M13: you can play Instants during the Declare Blockers Step, for instance (after tapping the hourglass icon).

Heh, I was talking about the AI opponents. They didn't use instants at all in M12. But after playing M13 all morning on my Xbox, I can confirm that the AI is competent enough to utilize all of the phases. Also, I can confirm that the app was well worth the $10, especially for someone who doesn't get to play with a lot of meatfolk very often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jack of spades wrote:
lebigot wrote:
jack of spades wrote:

Heh, I was talking about the AI opponents. They didn't use instants at all in M12. But after playing M13 all morning on my Xbox, I can confirm that the AI is competent enough to utilize all of the phases. Also, I can confirm that the app was well worth the $10, especially for someone who doesn't get to play with a lot of meatfolk very often.
Good point, thanks.
blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeGusta wrote:
It's boring the heck out of me. Mono-colour decks?!?
The full version allows you to unlock a few multicolor decks.

Mono-color decks can arguably offer some interesting strategies and force some difficult choices. I never felt any difference in my enjoyment between playing mono-color and multi-color decks—but perhaps it's because I only played Magic 100+ times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wiegand
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It finally got my wife to start playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kowalczyk
United States
Somonauk
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:

Syvanis wrote:
So far as I can tell the game is the same in all respects with one minor issue on not being able to choose the mana you tap.

There is an option in the 2013 that allows you to choose which lands to tap, which was welcomed by many.

How do you choose the mana you want to tap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ted_k27 wrote:

If you tap the card you're planning to play, the lands to tapped will be highlighted. Tap the card again and the game will cycle through different land combinations, highlighting them each time.

I just figured this out last night when I needed a specific tap to pass a challenge. As far as I can see, it's not documented anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
Another reason is that I'm afraid that the decks will not be that interesting, as the game seems to be geared toward less experienced players.

Well, if you have only played about 100 games, then you should be fine. It won't overwhelm you with lots of weird situations and cards. You should do pretty well against the computer, as the decks they provide are pretty basic. Hope this helps.

-Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: I eventually bought Magic 2013, and I do not regret it a bit. In fact, I am very pleased, because of the following points:

- 17 decks to choose from (this includes the first expansion and Deck pack 1). I like being able to choose which deck should perform better against which opponent, and I appreciate the variety.

- About $1 for each deck and its 30 additional cards (un-lockable through direct purchase or victories), with synergies with the original deck. I like the fact that I can spend some time customizing decks, while being guided through a limited choice of cards.

- Very decent AI (for my level: I played maybe about 200 games of Magic). Many different AI decks (10+). Unlocking cards through beating the AI is a nice challenge.

- Online multiplayer. Some players have stronger decks (built with the help of the 30 additional cards), which gives a motivation for unlocking more cards by beating the same AI opponents again.

- Multiple game formats (2-headed giant, Planechase, free-for-all,…).

- Interesting, dedicated "Magic problems" to solve.

- It's much more convenient to play on the (small) iPad than to play on a (larger) laptop, so I use Magic 2013 instead of the excellent Magarena.

In summary, my appreciation for Magic 2013 (iPad) mostly comes from the fact that it gives a lot of bang for your buck (along with the first expansion and the first Deck Pack, it costs less than the price of a single paper Duel Decks pack!). So, I'm very happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Low
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
ted_k27 wrote:

If you tap the card you're planning to play, the lands to tapped will be highlighted. Tap the card again and the game will cycle through different land combinations, highlighting them each time.

I just figured this out last night when I needed a specific tap to pass a challenge. As far as I can see, it's not documented anywhere.

If you have hints (or tips, not sure which one) turned on, the black box that pops up will tell you this. I made the mistake of not reading and closing them off the first couple of times and grumbled at my ipad until I realized. Whoops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.