GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

No Peace Without Spain!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Retreat question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Denis Cobrousev
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May defender retreat to or through the space attacker came from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules on the one occasion where I needed this rule, I *think* he is allowed to. However, he would take hits from troops there (I don't know if the attacker army counts for these troops), hits which count towards famous victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Cobrousev
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:
However, he would take hits from troops there (I don't know if the attacker army counts for these troops), hits which count towards famous victory.

In my case it is friendly controlled space (for defender).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don H
United States
Atlanta
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Based on your description, it sounds like the attacker had an enemy fortress under siege, and then moved to an adjacent attacker-friendly space which was occupied by the enemy. Otherwise if the battle space was friendly to the defender the attacker would not have been able to make the move (per rule 14.2.1).

If that is the case, then yes, the defender can retreat to the space the attacker came from, assuming it is no longer enemy-occupied or is the only option (16.4.3.C & D).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Cobrousev
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Don.

dherndon wrote:
Based on your description, it sounds like the attacker had an enemy fortress under siege, and then moved to an adjacent attacker-friendly space which was occupied by the enemy.

Yes, you are right, situation is exactly that.

Another question. May defender avoid battle into that space (where attacker has come from)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don H
United States
Atlanta
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Denis Cobrousev wrote:
Another question. May defender avoid battle into that space (where attacker has come from)?

Good question! Yes, per the rules, it is allowed. Requires a successful avoid battle die roll, and the attacker could prevent it by leaving a corps behind, but otherwise it's legal. May seem counter-intuitive to allow a defender to avoid battle into the space the attacker came from, but since by definition the destination space is controlled by the defender, a successful die roll means the leader was able to outmaneuver the attacker and sneak back to friendly territory. Make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.