GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,352 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Glory to Rome» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Color of cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's reasonable to expect that stronger buildings will be the more expensive cards. However since there are two of each cost, what separates the two types of equal coins from each other?

For example, how would one choose whether a building requiring 3 cards should be stone or marble? I'd imagine one could look at interactions with other cards, or what action you'd have to give up by playing it, but it seems the building types are comparable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
It's reasonable to expect that stronger buildings will be the more expensive cards. However since there are two of each cost, what separates the two types of equal coins from each other?

For example, how would one choose whether a building requiring 3 cards should be stone or marble? I'd imagine one could look at interactions with other cards, or what action you'd have to give up by playing it, but it seems the building types are comparable.
Have you played the game yet? The question itself suggests you are new to the game.

Proper combos will become emergent, but I have found that the strongest buildings are generally in Stone, and that makes Road a killer card. There is some minor dependence on access to a material - Stone and Merchants tend not to stay in the pool very long in our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ease of access to materials are determined by:

-Frequency in the deck
-Other players' willingness to let those materials in the pool (so you can Laborer/Legionary for them)
-Likelihood that you need to use that same card for some other reason

Wood buildings are harder to build than Rubble because that wood card might also be your only Craftsman card, and even if it makes its way into the pool someone is more likely to want to Patron for it. Concrete is harder than Brick for the same reason. Stone is harder than Marble because people are a lot more willing to Patron early than they are to Merchant early, especially since Merchanting means someone can Patron for the Merchant client.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
"Combos will emerge" is not what I was after -- I am aware of cards like Road and Gate, which affect the specific color of card but these two sets of abilities don't seem directly comparable.

SlebRittie wrote:
Wood buildings are harder to build than Rubble because that wood card might also be your only Craftsman card, and even if it makes its way into the pool someone is more likely to want to Patron for it. Concrete is harder than Brick for the same reason. Stone is harder than Marble because people are a lot more willing to Patron early than they are to Merchant early, especially since Merchanting means someone can Patron for the Merchant client.

I suspected something like this, but it seems more logical written out like that. I initally thought if you want to lead Patron and not Merchant, a blue card in your hand is more available for Craftsman actions than the purple card (which you may be saving for patron actions). However I realize you could just play a jack or petition instead, where no such substitute exists for trying to (eventually) Architect the materials once out of your hand.

However then I wonder about if/what buildings don't fit into this hierarchy (ie a stone building on the power level of a marble building). I haven't looked at the cards again with this in mind, but if anyone remembers seeing other threads discussing this, I'd be interesting in reading them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I initally thought if you want to lead Patron and not Merchant, a blue card in your hand is more available for Craftsman actions than the purple card (which you may be saving for patron actions). However I realize you could just play a jack or petition instead, where no such substitute exists for trying to (eventually) Architect the materials once out of your hand.

There's also the fact that while the foundation always has to be a card you personally drew, the materials don't. The key with Marble is that there will basically always be an influx of Marble in the pool in the earliest turns, assuming you're playing with people who realize how important clientele are and playing with more than one opponent. With Stone you're on your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.