GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,844 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » News

Subject: GenCon Tournament rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Palmer
United States
Fenton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG just announced an Android: Netrunner tournament at GenCon. Link to info is here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3369.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott keenan
Scotland
Glasgow
South Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Makes me wish I lived in America, bring on the UK tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's byob so you better plan on getting to their booth early on Thursday. I don't think they will have any product left by the time the tourny starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday afternoon? No, probably not! It'll be long gone by then I'm guessing.

Anyway, I've got my ticket. See you guys there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though it is the first thing I'll be gunning for at Gencon (and really the only thing as of right now) I'm really hoping that they have the product to cover the demand.

Also, I wish I had more than two days to prepare but I guess everyone else is in that boat as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm not going to Gencon, but I am excited about this part:

FFG wrote:
In the meantime, keep checking back for more previews of Android: Netrunner, the futuristic game of megacorps, runners, and cybercrime!

we might actually get some news now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we are just under 2 months out I'd expect in a couple of weeks for them to begin weekly preview articles and gameplay videos. That is what they normally do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an email stating that they'd have rules up beforehand and confirming release on Thursday at 10:00am.

The tournament will consist of multiple Swiss-paired rounds, cutting to single elimination final rounds (the number of rounds depending on attendance), with one player claiming the title of Android: Netrunner Icebreaker Tournament Champion. Registration begins promptly at 5:00pm on Saturday, August 18th. You must bring both a tournament legal Android: Netrunner Corp deck and a Runner deck to compete. You must have decklists for both of your decks ready to be inspected by our TOs for tournament legality. Android: Netrunner Core Sets will be available for sale onsite at Gen Con 2012 at 10:00am, Thursday, August 16th. Be sure to purchase your copy before the event from Fantasy Flight Games' retail booth #911. The times listed for this event include only the preliminary rounds. If you advance to the finals, be prepared to play additional rounds after the preliminaries conclude. Good luck in the tournament! To familiarize yourself with the Android: Netrunner before the tournament, you may download the rules from the Android: Netrunner website at http://tinyurl.com/an-support
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
getting 2 NR games in in just over an hour is potentially hard to accomplish! sometimes wins are fast, but for a new game with a limited card pool, I imagine games will sometimes last more than 30 minutes each...good luck rushing the AP, gencon attendees.

this game feels like you should be able to sideboard like in MtG (ie: put in extra meat damage protection if the corp is playing bagNTag vs you etc), but tourney structure doesnt allow for sideboarding, since you have to play both sides. a format allowing best 2 of 3 on each side with sidebaords would take too long to play out a toruney bracket...hmmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I got an email stating that they'd have rules up beforehand and confirming release on Thursday at 10:00am.

The tournament will consist of multiple Swiss-paired rounds, cutting to single elimination final rounds (the number of rounds depending on attendance), with one player claiming the title of Android: Netrunner Icebreaker Tournament Champion. Registration begins promptly at 5:00pm on Saturday, August 18th. You must bring both a tournament legal Android: Netrunner Corp deck and a Runner deck to compete. You must have decklists for both of your decks ready to be inspected by our TOs for tournament legality. Android: Netrunner Core Sets will be available for sale onsite at Gen Con 2012 at 10:00am, Thursday, August 16th. Be sure to purchase your copy before the event from Fantasy Flight Games' retail booth #911. The times listed for this event include only the preliminary rounds. If you advance to the finals, be prepared to play additional rounds after the preliminaries conclude. Good luck in the tournament! To familiarize yourself with the Android: Netrunner before the tournament, you may download the rules from the Android: Netrunner website at http://tinyurl.com/an-support

This is extremely similar to the tournaments that were run for the initial NetRunner release, only it was 1 sealed starter + some number of boosters and you had like 45 minutes to make a tourney legal deck for each side.

The Swiss style tournament structure lets everyone play for longer, but if there are fewer rounds than log2(players) then it's functionally equivalent to a single elimination tournament. With 32 participants, they'll need to run more than 5 rounds for Swiss Style Pairing to make any difference. At 65 minutes per 'round'... that's not going to happen.

Regardless, I wish GenCon were on my schedule, this sounds like fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isawa Chuckles
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Ugh, I hope those orbs in the bottom left side of the card aren't an Out-of-Faction cost increase. At 1 cost out-of-faction, that preview card is completely neutral (and thus there is zero reason to play it). And it's such a *basic* card that I shudder to think they'll waste slots by having a faction-specific version of it for each faction, instead of just sticking it at generic in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
wedgeex wrote:
Even though it is the first thing I'll be gunning for at Gencon (and really the only thing as of right now) I'm really hoping that they have the product to cover the demand.

Also, I wish I had more than two days to prepare but I guess everyone else is in that boat as well.

I won't be arriving until Thursday afternoon (but well before the exhibit hall closes). I signed up for the event, but I'm really concerned there won't be any core sets left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a habitual card sleever. Think they will mind if I sleeve my cards in purple/green or would clear sleeves be better?

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gallant
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should do signs ups for the tournament and set aside as many core sets as there are registered players. Give them a unique code or something to claim the set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be the smart thing to do, and I hope you're right. I plan on getting at least two sets (extras to be given to friends back home).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Avers
United States
Elmore
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
michaeldavidcox wrote:
I'm a habitual card sleever. Think they will mind if I sleeve my cards in purple/green or would clear sleeves be better?

Michael

Don't see why colored sleeves would be a problem. Probably what I'm going to do.

Cheeseburger wrote:
They should do signs ups for the tournament and set aside as many core sets as there are registered players. Give them a unique code or something to claim the set.

Or just show your ticket for the event at the booth, and stamp it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Avers
United States
Elmore
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FYI, they actually added more slots yesterday, so it's now a 64 player event instead of 32.

In case you missed tickets the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
PMAvers wrote:
FYI, they actually added more slots yesterday, so it's now a 64 player event instead of 32.

In case you missed tickets the first time.

As I said, my only concern with this is that they have enough sets to cover the players. I hope they bring a metric ton of sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we have any insight on whether they are flying in a small number of cases, or if everyone, all over the country, will be able to buy a core set within a reasonable time from GenCON (lets call it 'before Labor Day') ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.