GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,494 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
76 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: S. Craig Taylor has passed away. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just learned from a post over on CSW that S. Craig Taylor has passed away. No details at present. Sad news and condolences to his family and friends.

I only know of him through the many games he designed that I really enjoyed playing. He s the first designer I recall buying games just because he designed them. I did get to shake his hand at a far off Origins in CA in the 90's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree. My memories of Yaquinto games, and epic games of Swashbuckler with friends hold a special place for me in my memory of gaming. He will be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sincere condolences to his family, fans and friends. He created some truly iconic games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad news.

Gettysburg (125th Anniversary edition) is still in my collection after all of these years.

Perhaps a GeekList of his work might be appropriate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hall
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sad news indeed, I always enjoyed playing his designs.

Condolences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sad news indeed--just earlier today I reminisced about my family playing Naval War around the dining room table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dampenon Fabien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
Rookies talk about strategy, Grognards about Logistics
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember some nights around a table, with my roommates in the 80's, playing Air Force and Dauntless...

And later, I have spent hours playing Tac Air which is, still now, my best game ever played about fights between NATO and WP...

Condoleances to a major contributer to our hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Agree. My memories of Yaquinto games, and epic games of Swashbuckler with friends hold a special place for me in my memory of gaming. He will be missed.

This is indeed sad news. Swashbuckler kicked ass and was a game which never failed to generate tension, drama and hilarity. The other S. Craig Taylor game of which I have particularly fond (albeit sometimes painful!) memories is Firepower. A small part of a worthy legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joeseph McCarthy
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A terrible loss. We're getting older and all the great ones are starting to pass away.

Mogadeet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, damn. My sympathies to his family. Not only was he one of my favorite wargame designers, I also really liked his writing style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad news. I've put on my Avalon Hill microbadge in his honour. I reckon Wooden Ships & Iron Men was my favourite by him. Thanks for the many hours of enjoyment, Craig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Walker
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
I remember getting Air Force in the mail when I was in HS -- it was my first non-SPI game -- and being very pleased with it ...I also recall that it had the effect of drawing in people not normally part of my small group of wargaming friends. Great game; I spent many an hour flying my Spits and envying the roll capability of my friend's FW190s. But at least my engines didn't explode the first time they got hit ...

I hope Mr Taylor knew -- and that his family and friends know -- how many hours of fun and relaxation he provided so many people. Not a bad legacy, that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Just started playing C.V. this year, and have Firepower and Wings in the ... uh, wings.

As one of the newer generation (I'm an Andropov baby), it's sad to see so much history passing away around me by the month and year. I'm glad I have these games to hold onto. They're touchstones to another age, one I don't want to see lost. It won't be for me, at least, or for my children, as long as these are on my shelf and on my table.

I can't say more in his praise than Blake did. High praise indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Perhaps a GeekList of his work might be appropriate...

Here's one.

There's also another. Mine lists all his games found in the BGG database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone with more skill than I, please create an S. Craig Taylor microbadge? I can't find one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grinch wrote:
Sad news. I've put on my Avalon Hill microbadge in his honour. I reckon Wooden Ships & Iron Men was my favourite by him. Thanks for the many hours of enjoyment, Craig.

WS&IM is a great one, but it's Mustangs [TAHGC], and Bomber [Yaq.] all the way for me. He had, for me anyway, a real touch for air combat games that were quite playable without being overburdened by minutiae (err, after Air Force/Dauntless, that is ). My condolences to those who knew the man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RIP Craig, some of my fondest hobby memories come from playing your games.
Condolences to family and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Crater
United States
Ftw
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad to hear. I began my miniatures gaming with his monthly games held at Yaquito games in Dallas. It was he and Mr Peek that gamemastered for upwards of 12 players ranging from 14 to 40 in playing naval "Ship of the Line". Always a patient teacher and gave out nuggets of trivia and knowledge that are the hallmarks of great gaming, in my opinion.

Sad to read that one of the great ones passed. In many ways he was to boardgames as, Dave Arneson was to RPG's. A visionary and pioneer of the hobby. He will be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A salute to a great man and huge influence on my hobby. RIP Mr Taylor and Godspeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a shame. He provided a great deal of joy for all of us in the wargaming community during his lifetime. My best wishes to his family and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
Very, very sad news. I remember him and Stephen Peek running a game group in Douglasville, Georgia when I was about 12. I lived in a nearby town and my dad had business in Douglasville, so he would drop me off and pick me up when he was done working. They showed me how to play Shenandoah and let me participate in playtests of that game. I remember seeing playtests of Objective: Atlanta, but I didn't participate in it. Many years later, I met Mr. Taylor at the last LA Origins Convention in 1989 and he was so surprised to see me again. We even walked to the nearby Carl's Jr. to have lunch and to catch up.

I remembered him as a very kind and patient man who would even let a 12 year old kid take back his move because he was playing foolishly. I remember his infectious laugh that would get everyone else in the room laughing, even if they didn't know what the joke was. Mr. Peek was more business-like (although he was always very nice to me) and would always remind me to focus on the game and to write down stuff during the playtests. Mr. Taylor was more like a kindly uncle to me who would tell me stories about Stonewall Jackson during a playtest and he'd point to a hex on the Shenandoah map and tell me with great excitement "and it all happened right here".

I moved away to Memphis the following year but I'll always remember Mr. Taylor's kindness and his laugh. He was a truly remarkable man.

Any photos?

I have nothing to add to the thread, other than I own several of his games, and even played one or two of them. The name alone always seemed formidable, almost as formidable as the rules to his games. Not a complaint by any stretch, as I rather enjoy formidable. Having said that though, it was quite pleasant to read about your experiences with him which cast him in a different light than my only impressions based on seeing his name on box tops.

I think I recall seeing him in a t-shirt ad in The General, also, years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved playing Wooden Ships and Iron Men.

My condolences to his family.

R.I.P., Mr. Taylor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Major
United States
Stillwater
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He came to Stillwater,Ok in the early 80s for Yaquinto. As hardly anyone showed up at the game shop I got to play him one on one in Fall of South Vietnam. I won with his help. Super nice guy. Sorry to hear of his passing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another chapter of wargaming's history is now closed. We can all thank him for his innovative designs which remain favorites among many of us to this day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Craig Taylor memories: I first met Craig in Dallas around 1977, when he and Steve Peek were with Battleline/Heritage. A local game store advertised that they were looking for playtesters, so I showed up one Saturday. Most of the games I saw being tested were later published for Yaquinto. I was drawn to a game being played on an old WSIM board, with handdrawn counters. It was Ironclads. I jumped in to play--it was to be my first credit for what would later be more than a dozen games playtested at Yaquinto.

I was playing Machiavelli with Craig and friends at his apartment when he announced to us the creation of the brand new Yaquinto Games. For as long as Yaquinto lasted I spent at least two Saturdays a month as a playtester there. I walked in one day and Craig was about to play a new game he had designed but had played only solitaire. It was a Civil War game so I really wanted to try it. The game was Pickett's Charge. In the scenario we played my Yankess never had a chance--Craig blew me out of Devil's Den.

One of my favorite games was Swashbuckler. In fact I wore out my copy playing it with friends, so he gave me the very last copy they had of the old album game print run--before they switched to the thin box version. There was a sci-fi version of the game and the names on the counters were all anagrams of playtesters. My name is Smith, so my character was a human named Thims.

Dave Crater mentioned earlier about the huge Ship O' The Line miniature games that were played there. Playtesting would begin in the morning, then around 5:00 we stop and grab some fast food, then back for a massive miniatures game, usually SOL (which became Wooden Ships and Iron Men for Avalon Hill). We played on a massive table, 5-7 guys per side. What great fun! Frequently we would hear a great clattering noise at one end of the room: It would be a fistful of dice that Craig would hurl across the room when luck was going against him.

Craig was always in good humor, helpful and kind, and he loved playing those games---his partner, Steve Peek would be there every now and then, but Craig was there every Saturday.

I last visited with Craig at Origins in Fort Worth in 1992. Just listening to he, Richard Berg, and Tom Dagliesh talk about the good old days was a treat for me. I never saw him again but corresponded with him fairly regularly when he went to Avalon Hill and afterwards.

He was a great board and miniatures game designer, and friend, and I will always miss him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.