GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,937 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Pixel Tactics» Forums » General

Subject: Pixel Tactics vs BattleCON? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Any significant differences? Similarities?

Would you prefer one over the other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not really that similar at all. They share the same characters but that's about it. I enjoy BattleCON, but I'm kind on a Pixel Tactics high right now. I'm trying to see if we can house rule having more players with multiple decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Pixel Tactics, but they look really different. In BattleCON you are one character, and you simultaneously choose attack pairs that represent different special moves. Each character is really different, with a special ability, 5 unique styles, and a unique base. You can position yourself on the board, launch attacks at different ranges, and sometimes do other things like collect tokens depending on your character. Because of the way attack pairs recycle, you can't spam one move, but everything not in one of the two discard piles (on cool down) is available for you to play. There is no randomness in the game.

Pixel Tactics doesn't have simultaneous action selection, the way that position is represented is different, you get identical decks instead of different card sets, you don't have all of your cards available all the time, and cards are played differently. You can play a card in 5 different ways, and you don't play them in pairs with one card modifying the other like in BattleCON. The two games have the characters in common, but that is pretty much it. The relationship between Pixel Tactics and BattleCON reminds me of the relationship between Puzzle Strike and Yomi. They share characters, but are completely different mechanically.

I love BattleCON, and I'm really looking forward to Pixel Tactics. I don't think they will be redundant in my collection at all. I will probably prefer BattleCON, but it is currently my favorite 2 player game, so that isn't saying much. Still, I'll have to try Pixel Tactics and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.