GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,975 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

History of the World» Forums » General

Subject: Does this game see alliances? If not why not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I think I understand how this game works but I don't see much talk of alliances or diplomacy in it. I'm wondering if this this is due to factors like (for example) players being too distant from each other, or not having enough time playing as a given civilization to coordinate anything?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen alliances in this game other than gang up on the leader. When it's your turn your focus is on maximizing points and denying your opponents points. So you attack where you gain/deny the most points. Sometimes there are equal paths on the map and you will usually attack the player with the most points or best board position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason why I think you don't see alliances in this game is that you never know which empire you will control next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattails 'n Crabgrass
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The closest thing that could represent an "alliance" in the game would be the same player still holding onto territory on the board from an earlier epoch. Also, playing a minor empire card under your control would contribute to your point total from your major empires.

An alliance from other games where the goal is to take over the world does not really work in this one as its just a points compiler. Also, the combat system is fairly basic and heavily weighted in the attacker's favor; two dice versus one die, reroll on ties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't reroll on ties (unless that rule is from a different version than mine). In my version, both sides lose on ties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thanks, that all makes sense and is pretty interesting. It actually makes me think I should be asking instead why other games aren't simply "if given a choice, bash the leader."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Your play goes in spurts, with no ability to set up a coherent base. Each turn is a quick area control point grab. This kind of environment does not lend to alliances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.