GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,890 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: More help with a game that may or may not exist! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

i had been in the same situation. I played the Card/Dice Game Dungeon of D with my then 6 year old son, when he started to ask for a board game "where you can slay monsters".

I did not like to expose him to too much gore or too complex rules. I ended up buying him Heroica: Fortaan and Heroica: Draida. He liked it very, very much. BUT the game is too boring for adults. For me it was like "oh, do i really have to play that game again with you?".

Of cause his answer was "YES dad!". So i started to make up advanced rules (using the old Hero Quest dice, making combat more intriguing, started writing campaigns and acting as the Game Master / Dungeon Keeper, etc.)

We also started to loot his Lego boxes (tons of single pieces, many of them from my childhood) and started to construct new adventures. But because the game pices / meeples from Heroica do not fit well with regular Lego, we had to use his regular Lego people (Cowboys, Police Officers, Darth Vader, ...).

You see, we ended up playing a complete different game. If you are interested to invest some time together with your daughter, than the Heroica series is a good starting point. Not more, not less.

Edit: the game works for up to four players. With modified rules and me as a game master, we played adventures with up to three children. Each game was a blast for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggling with the age... but you know your own daughter and what sort of support you can give.

The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac or The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus

Those Pesky Humans!

There is also a dungeon crawl that has a dexterity element that kids love... but I can't remember what it's called.:
Catacombs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Super Dungeon Explore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
muzmoz wrote:
The game that she requests the most is Dungeon Raiders. I think she likes choosing a character (never random)and the idea of going through a dungeon (well the cards that make up the dungeon) getting treasure and beating monsters.

Well, this doesn't work for a game you can get next week, but the forthcoming Mice and Mystics seems like a no brainer. Since Dungeon Raiders is for ages 8+ then I think you should be able to pull off a game that's 7+. Make it a Christmas idea then. I wonder if something like Saboteur would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game you're looking for is Drakskatten. Sadly though, it's only available in Swedish and OOP since 20 years. But it's exactly what you described: choose a character, go through a dungeon, defeat monsters, get their loot. Half boring for a grown-up but it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Candamir: The First Settlers might be good - it's overland rather than dungeon, but you have characters with abilities, there are little story events, you explore and get stuff and make your character better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

It should be noted that some assembly is required with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.