GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,743 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Arkham in Japan Game 18: City in the Mist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a link to the previous session reports for anyone interested in following my group's progress:

Season One - Base Game Ancient Ones

Game 3: The Ladies of Arkham VS Nyarlathotep!
Game 5: The First Casualties...
Game 7: Vengeance
Game 8: Over Before We Knew It
Game 9: Answering the Call
Game 10: The Curtain Rises...
Game 11: ...The Next Act Begins...
Game 12: ...The Finale

Season Two - Dunwich Horror and Kingsport Horror Ancient Ones

Game 13: Return to Dunwich
Game 15: If Man is Five
Game 16: WRONG!
Game 17: The Violinist in the Woods

This time, our set-up was AH + KH + KiY cards w/o Acts.

Rules:
-Players controlling 2 Investigators draw three randomly and choose two to play; Players controlling 1 Investigator draw two and choose one.
-Ancient One is drawn randomly.
-Devoured Investigators are removed from the game PERMANENTLY. (Exception: An Investigator Devoured during final combat with the AO will be "rescued" if the AO is defeated.)
-Defeated Ancient Ones are banished PERMANENTLY.
-Encounters are read by a different player than who is having the Encounter. Reading stops at the point of any decision or skill check so outcomes are not known until the player either makes a decision or passes/fails the check.
-If a named Ally to be gained from an encounter is not in the Ally deck, that Ally card can be taken from the box while a random Ally from the deck is discarded to maintain the number in the deck.

-All other game rules must be followed exactly as described via rulebook/FAQ/determined via consensus or discussion on BGG.

Investigators:

Rita Young {3} (me)
Mandy Thompson {3} (me)
Charlie Kane {1} (friend)
Daisy Walker {1} (friend)

Ancient One:

Atlach-Nacha
History: None. He's our first KH Great Old One.

Looking at the AO, it didn't fill us with confidence. We never fought a Leng Spider before (this being our first KH game) but anything that bumps a monster's toughness up by 2 can't be good. Then reading his effect... Seriously?! All Mythos cards are Gate Bursts now? Well that's a problem. We assumed that also meant that all flying monsters are activated every single Mythos phase. Then, even worse, if we go into battle with him we have to kill an Ally or an Investigator each time he attacks! Wow... this was looking to be a disaster.

As far as the Investigators went, I was running the veterans and my friend was trying out the newcomers from Kingsport. Mandy was a sure choice for me but I did a little debating over taking Rita over the KH kid who starts with an Elder Sign. Thinking that the Elder Sign wouldn't mean much in a world of Gate Bursts, it was better to have the super quick Rita on our side. Not to mention her lovely Retainer.

The initial draw of items was bad for all of the characters. Only one weapon between the 4 and it's one that exhausts AND is only righted by spending all of your Focus. Not good.

Discussing our strategy, we felt our best chance to beat a boss of this sort was to control our own destiny in the Mythos deck. To do that, we needed to get the spell Arcane Insight and give it to the spell-icious Daisy. So for the first turn of the game, Daisy, Rita and Mandy ran to the Ye Olde Magick Shoppe. Spending a combined total of $15, we ended up with three decent spells but not the one we wanted... it was a long shot anyhow. On the second turn, Daisy said she would stay and buy more along with using her Livre d'Ivon to get a spell.

"Oh, what's the Livre d'Ivon do?" I asked.

"It lets me..." friend reads the card, "...search the Spell deck and take any spell I want."

I could have slapped him. We spent all that money trying to find one particular spell when he could have taken it instantly on his first turn! But we did end up with a good selection of Spells for Daisy so, in the end, it wasn't that bad.

The next few turns featured Charlie and Mandy trying to get Clues for sealing while Daisy got sucked into a Gate while in the Woods. Meanwhile, Rita had to run up to Kingsport to start keeping the Rifts in check up there instead of shopping for some weapons for the team.

Daisy emerged from her Gate but couldn't Seal it. At this point the Doom Tokens were starting to pile up and we were making no progress towards a win. Mandy, finally having enough Clues, went in and Sealed our first Gate. Unfortunately Daisy was having a hard time casting Arcane Insight due to holding no Tomes and, thus, we couldn't see the upcoming Mythos cards. Luckily none came to break Mandy's Seal on the Graveyard.

Rita returned from Kingsport after a few turns and started her own quest to close a Gate. She succeeded and we got another Seal. Charlie also got a Seal after one failed attempt that sent him Lost in Time and Space. Still, we had very few weapons so Rita and Daisy went shopping at the Curiositie Shoppe. The primary goal was Tomes to get Daisy an easy chance at using the AI spell. Second goal was Elder Signs to try to get a win faster as the Clues were evaporating quite rapidly. The final goal was to obtain some useful weapons to clear the streets.

And boy did the streets need clearing.

After about halfway through the game, all 7 Monsters were out and about on every turn and the Outskirts kept filling up. The reason being that we weren't going through Gates to close unless we could Seal. It helped keep the Doom Track low but the Terror Track started to race upwards. To make matters worse, the Gates we were closing usually didn't match the symbols of the monsters on the board.

Over a few turns with three characters alternating/teaming up shopping, we had a weapon, an Elder Sign, and a couple Tomes. Now Daisy was able to succeed in reading the Mythos future and was supported by Mandy's ability should her roll fail.

With the Mythos somewhat in our control, we were on our way to a 4th and 5th Seal. Rita headed back up to Kingsport but this time, we dared to throw caution to the wind. She now had enough points with monster and gate trophies to become Changed. I so desperately wanted to see what that did (as I've mentioned in previous reports, I refuse to read any of the cards ahead of time so I don't spoil the experience). So I made the run to The Causeway. Encounter there immediately sent me to The Wireless Station with another Encounter. I was just one turn away from becoming Changed! ...Whatever that meant.

Our 4th Seal hit the board thanks to Charlie using the Elder Sign, driving himself insane, and Daisy was nearly getting our 5th when the white mists over Kingsport turned into a black cloud that hung over all of Arkham. Arcane Insight showed that no matter how we arranged our future, a Gate Burst was coming to Independence Square. We would be down to 4 Seals and needed to find a way to get enough Clues for two more Seals AND keep anymore Gate Burst from happening.

Daisy used her Call Friend spell to pull Rita down from the Strange High House and give her a chance to get back into the action quickly. She was able to take out a few fliers keeping her pinned in the street while Daisy took over on Rift duty in Kingsport. Rita's next fight, however, sent her Insane but fortunately with her ability she was able to avoid Amnesia (4 Clue token maximum) and gain Xenophobia instead, as it seemed like the lesser of two evils.

Charlie made his way around the board and heroically evaded some bad monsters and reached Independence Square in time to grab a fifth Clue moments before the Gate Burst hit. He successfully made his way through the Plateau of Leng but hit a snag when he came out. Another Independence Square Gate Burst was on the horizon so we couldn't let him Seal the Gate just yet. He had to bide his time and wait for conditions to improve.

Once again, Daisy and Rita switched duties as the fleet-footed Rita kept the Rifts at bay while Daisy came to Arkham for one last shot at finding an Elder Sign. Mandy was crawling around the board, scraping by for Clues which were all but extinct. She managed to join the Silver Twilight lodge in one turn, sat there for a second turn to both receive the upcoming Clue token appearing there and get to use her new membership. Embarrassingly, her first Inner Sanctum Encounter had her membership revoked for not being able to pay the monthly dues.

With Daisy's foretelling of the future, Rita kept Rifts from opening though all three hung precariously in the balance. Daisy also managed to find another Elder Sign from the Curiositie Shoppe moments before it was closed for good when the Terror Track hit 6.

A couple turns later and the sixth seal (seventh, really) hit the board and Arkham was saved yet again.

Overall, this game was great! It took a long time because it needed a lot of thought and strategy into defeating one heck of an AO. There were a couple slow moments and even when things started to look on the up and up for us, once that Gate Burst hit things got tense yet again.

For its first appearance, the town of Kingsport proved to be a HUGE improvement over Dunwich. Not only did we have encounters at all but one or two locations in the town, the Rifts added a very real element of danger that made Kingsport always important in the game. Dunwich rarely felt important. Plus, game one with KH and I managed to become Changed! Sure, in the end it was too late for it to be useful but now I know what it is and I'm just happy that I accomplished it.

The MVP by far was Daisy. She's just a spell machine and she won't work for nobody but you. Without her, we likely would have had no chance of winning. There's no doubt that all the Rifts would have opened and the AO would likely have awakened as well.

Oh, and as little as Mandy did during the game she was still helpful with her godly ability when needed. Plus she killed two Cultists and one Maniac with her bare hands so I got much love for the girl.

One more comment: Rita's Retainer lasted the entire game. Combine that with the fact that Daisy got the spell to get $3 and you can imagine how rich we were.

Atlach-Nacha was a pain of an AO and I'm glad he's gone for good. The game was hard and it was never certain which way it would turn out. Because of that, I loved every minute of it. I'm definitely looking forward to more Kingsport!

Final Count:

Doom Track - 8
Terror Track - 6
Gates Sealed - 7
Investigators Incapacitated - 0
Investigators Insane - 2 (Charlie and Rita)
Investigators Devoured - 0

W(D)-L Record:

Atlach-Nacha 1-0
Eihort 0-0
Y'Golonac 0-0
Yibb-Tstll 0-0

Games: 14-4
Six Seals Wins 6
Closed Gates Wins 3
Final Combat Wins 5

Current Streak: 3 Wins

Obituaries:

Ashcan Pete (Devoured by Cthulhu / Game 5)
Dexter Drake (Devoured by Cthulhu / Game 5)
Gloria Goldberg (Devoured by Cthulhu / Game 5)
Jim Culver (Devoured by Cthulhu / Game 5)
Bob Jenkins (Devoured by Yog-Sothoth / Game 6)
Darrell Simmons (Devoured by Yog-Sothoth / Game 6)
Diana Stanley (Devoured by Yog-Sothoth / Game 6)
Leo Anderson (Devoured by Yog-Sothoth / Game 6)
Wilson Richards (Died from Injuries / Game 7)
Jenny Barnes (Devoured by Tsathoggua / Game 15)
Joe Diamond (Devoured by Tsathoggua / Game 15)
Michael McGlen (Devoured by Tsathoggua / Game 15)
Tommy Muldoon (Devoured by Tsathoggua / Game 15)
Akachi Onyele (Devoured by Tsathoggua / Game 15)

Banished Ancient Ones:

Abhoth 1(1)-0
Azathoth 1-0
Cthulhu 2(1)-1
Glaaki 1(1)-0
Hastur 1-0
Ithaqua 1-0
Nyarlathotep 1-0
Shub-Niggurath 1-1
Shudde M'ell 1(1)-0
Tsathoggua 1-1
Yig 1-0
Yog-Sothoth 1(1)-1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a minute. You only had one gate burst with Atlach Nacha? With only eleven unstable locations? In thirty-four games, I've only beaten him once legitimately, having had to come up with special rules to even be remotely competitive against him.

It's nothing for me to have four or five gate bursts. The only time I really beat him, there was one gate open on the board (at Hibb's, no less), with an investigator about to come out and seal. The Mythos was a monster surge, the only result that would allow a chance to win.

I've even tried leaving the big four alone, but had STL, SB and Hibb's all burst or had games in which the only gates that would open were at the big four.

"What does Livre d'Ivon do?" "Allows me to gain any spell I want."

Hahahahahahahahahah!

Get Innsmouth. She fails her ps if she doesn't have a Tome. I don't think the fail condition is that bad, but passing it is better.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Wait a minute. You only had one gate burst with Atlach Nacha? With only eleven unstable locations? In thirty-four games, I've only beaten him once legitimately, having had to come up with special rules to even be remotely competitive against him.

It's nothing for me to have four or five gate bursts. The only time I really beat him, there was one gate open on the board (at Hibb's, no less), with an investigator about to come out and seal. The Mythos was a monster surge, the only result that would allow a chance to win.

I've even tried leaving the big four alone, but had STL, SB and Hibb's all burst or had games in which the only gates that would open were at the big four.

"What does Livre d'Ivon do?" "Allows me to gain any spell I want."

Hahahahahahahahahah!

Get Innsmouth. She fails her ps if she doesn't have a Tome. I don't think the fail condition is that bad, but passing it is better.

Brian

Yeah, I was surprised that we were able to avoid all but one Gate Burst. It was mostly luck along with following our strategy through.

There was one moment when we used Arcane Insight on the Mythos and all three cards were opening a gate in the Woods. The Woods happened to be the first gate we closed but didn't seal so that was lucky for us.

I do have Innsmouth but haven't added anything in from it other than the characters. I want to add the Personal Stories (especially before more people die) but my friend wants to wait until we actually go to Innsmouth. I may add them sooner anyhow.

Speaking of my friend, yet again he wanted to just abandon hope of stopping the AO and just prepare for the final battle. After he closed the Woods and we were still at 0 progress towards a win, he said we should just do our most to collect Allies and weapons to fight the boss. I told him to drop that thought and get his butt back into the plan to stop Atlach-Nacha. In the end, isn't a 6 Seal victory over the gate-burst king a far more satisfying win than just playing the numbers game to try to get a win in battle?

Still, the Epic Battle cards are there and he has no idea what they do so maybe the next time we actually do go into battle it will crush his hopes so bad that I won't have to put up with that quitter mentality anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal O Suilleabhain
Australia
Bellingen
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report. I took on attach Nacha + KiY Hreald recently too. I never thought of using Arcane Insight for a 6 seal victory. I always use it for a gate closure victory, usually games are really quick that way, 10 or so rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donal O Suilleabhain
Australia
Bellingen
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to reread the Livre d'Ivon card after reading this. I always assumed it was a one chance card as it starts Discard and spend movement points..... But at the bottom it has the nothing happens phrase as well so I suppose you could interpret it either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.