GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,127 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does moving into Santa's Sleigh break diplomatic relations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Morton
msg tools
We played with the Elders of the Solstice for the first time yesterday, and it was brought up that while the official santa rules say:

Quote:
The Dreadnought may not attack ships or Population and it cannot be attacked. [...] Unlike other ships, moving the Dreadnought to another player’s territory is never considered a hostile act and it does not break the Diplomatic relations.

that specifically talks about Santa moving the Dreadnought into another player's space, not another player moving their ships into the Dreadnought's space. I moved my ships to attack a third player in a hex where the sleigh happened to be, and there was some argument that this should have broken my diplomatic relations with the Elders because I'd moved ships into a hex where he had a ship (and the printed Elders rules only specifically say it doesn't break diplomatic relations when the Elders move it).

I successfully argued that the intent was that the sleigh isn't supposed to break diplomacy from either side, but I'd like to confirm that interpretation. (I guess maybe Santa treats you as a bad person if he sees you attacking somebody else under his watch, but if that's intended it seems like a really subtle interpretation....)

If I was wrong and I should have gotten the traitor token, would I have gotten a Naughty token also, or would the (afaik otherwise-undefined) term "conflict" in the Naughty-token rules not apply because combat doesn't happen with the sleigh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not so much that you receive a Naughty token, but you get put on the Naughty list as well. This isn't entirely a bad thing as come Christmas you'll get coal in your stocking which, as a resource, can then be converted at a 3:1 ratio into money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Does moving into Santa's Sleigh break diplomatic relations?

For some reason, I came into this thinking this was some weird RSP thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here's the spoiler: My reply is nothing more than total dripping sarcasm. Once again proving it's difficult to read the emotional intent of a posting. After looking at what I wrote and laughing again (ninja laugh, on the inside), I realized that my reply could be misconstrued as actual clarification of rules regarding the Santa Claus options. I will be on the naughty list this year. devil

My apologies to Philip. I really have no idea what scenario you're referencing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Fixed the link in the original post to the thread with the Elders of the Solstice race. I'm using the term "Santa's Sleigh" to refer to the special dreadnaught that moves around delivering presents...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sherrill
United States
somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Chrondeath wrote:
We played with the Elders of the Solstice for the first time yesterday, and it was brought up that while the official santa rules say:

Quote:
The Dreadnought may not attack ships or Population and it cannot be attacked. [...] Unlike other ships, moving the Dreadnought to another player’s territory is never considered a hostile act and it does not break the Diplomatic relations.

that specifically talks about Santa moving the Dreadnought into another player's space, not another player moving their ships into the Dreadnought's space.

To me it looks like it talks about both. The official rules say that diplomatic relations are broken when one player attacks a player that they have diplomatic relations with. The rules you quoted say specifically that the Solstice Dreadnought cannot be attacked.

Rules exerpt:
Quote:
breaking diplomatic relations Your Diplomatic relations
stay in effect until the end of the game, unless you attack
one of the players you have Diplomatic relations with, or
they attack you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Hmm....and the next line is

Quote:
Moving your ships to a hex where the other player has a disc or a ship is also considered an attack.

I correctly remembered that those are the actions that break diplomacy, but didn't realize that the rules defined them as "an attack", which makes Santa's text apply. Thanks!

That does kind of make me wonder why the word "also" is in that definition....what else is "an attack" that would break diplomacy, beyond moving ships into the other player's disc or ships? Neither combat nor bombing can happen without someone having moved ships in that way previously...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.