GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Off hand weapon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did i miss out any rule on OFF-hand weapon for melee?

How does off hand weapon work here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they don't work in 2e. Maybe there are some skills or hero abilities that let characters wield two weapons...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't think there is a rule for off-hand weapons.

Did anyone ever actually use that? In our games people always preferred the more powerful two-handed weapons or one weapon and a shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's not one in the rulebook, but there might be one on the cards?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming roup used it sometimes. We were not power gamers though. Did not care if it was not the optimum load out, we chose characters and weapons based upon an image we had in our minds. Ours is a much more of a social gaming group as its generally one of the few outings my wife and I get without our kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Celtic Joker wrote:
Did anyone ever actually use that? In our games people always preferred the more powerful two-handed weapons or one weapon and a shield.

http://www.descentinthedark.com/_l_/laughin_buldar.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules specifically say that you need to pick A equipped weapon for your attack. I expect that the berserker and maybe the thief will have skills that will allow them to use two weapons, but we haven't seen such a skill yet. Although the Beserkers Weapon Mastery skill suggest that it is likely that such a skill exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Visit my website: www.fillharttech.com where I blog about fixing retro game systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, there is a small hint about off-hand weapons and I found it here on BBGs images they've pulled in:

The berserker skill Weapon Mastery hints at having 2-1 handed weapons. How this all plays out will be discovered at the preview events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's clear from the rules that there's no restriction on any character equipping two different weapons, provided they each have 0-1 hand icons. The main reason to do it would presumably be to have a ranged weapon and a melee weapon, since I understand melee weapons typically do more damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
There is a one handed weapon that allows +1 damage IIRC if you have an empty off hand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amaranth wrote:
It's clear from the rules that there's no restriction on any character equipping two different weapons, provided they each have 0-1 hand icons.

Equipping two weapons is presumably not the same as attacking with two weapons. The normal attack rules require you to pick one weapon to attack with. The Weapon Mastery skill refers to attacking with two weapons.

This suggests that there are some rules somewhere (perhaps on a specific item or skill card) that support dual-wielding...

...though it's always possible they just screwed up the wording on the skill and it's supposed to apply to attacks made when you have those weapons equipped, regardless of whether you're attacking with them or not (which will be great fun when some expansion adds a four-armed hero and you can use this skill to enhance a bow attack when you happen to be carrying two daggers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing in the Berserker deck to let you attack with two weapons, so I'm guessing the card just means you need to have them equipped (as opposed to one weapon and a shield).

I asked about this at Realms as well, and I got the usual "no comment" line, but they didn't outright dismiss it, and I wouldn't be surprised if a later class in an expansion adds dual-wielding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Tibbles
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
whipko wrote:
Did i miss out any rule on OFF-hand weapon for melee?

How does off hand weapon work here?

No such animal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cruickshanks
Norway
flag msg tools
Zzzz
badge
Chaos Incarnate
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the weapon mastery cards intent seems to be to add one extra surge as long as you don't use a shield.
It's also in line with the berserker being all berserk-like. Equip two 1h weapons, or a 2h, and stay away from a shield and you get 1 extra surge one attack each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering, If a hero equip two 1-handed weapon. He choose main hand weapon as his attacking weapon. Can he trigger the surge effect for his off hand weapon? I don't think so.

But this sound better for a off hand weapon bonuses since surge can only be trigger once. Likewise you are able to use the shield as a off hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
araziel wrote:
To me the weapon mastery cards intent seems to be to add one extra surge as long as you don't use a shield.
It's also in line with the berserker being all berserk-like. Equip two 1h weapons, or a 2h, and stay away from a shield and you get 1 extra surge one attack each round.

but on the card it's written: "each time you perform an attack(...) with 2 melee weapons"...

that means each time you attack with two weapons,but you can't do that if you are following the rules.
Something is wrong here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
araziel wrote:

but on the card it's written: "each time you perform an attack(...) with 2 melee weapons"...

that means each time you attack with two weapons,but you can't do that if you are following the rules.
Something is wrong here.

It just means that you are holding those weapons, not that you are using both to attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grease meat
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah! LOL. Don't you hate finding out obvioius mistakes the next day after the quest is wrapped up? Oh well... our group's Laughin Buldar (Beastmaster)is not going to be amused. But I KNEW something was off with him swinging his Grinding Axe at me, then attacking again with the Rage Blade, and calling it one attack. Tossing blue die twice, I was like nooooo... but after debate with people swinging back & forth on it, I was overruled.

Why didn't I grab the rulebook you ask... b/c after consulting it multiple times you a) start to feel like a jerk ruining a good time, reaching for the book every time they make a move and b) just get tired of stopping the game. Not to mention c) polishing off a growler full of a nice local IPA in record time can have some affect on judgement.

I still smoked that quest anyway. OVERLORD DOMINATION CAN I GET A WITNESS

And I didn't even bring out the Lieutenant in this mini-campaign (chose Alric for Trollfens). I think if I did squish them even harder than I had, someone would have flipped the table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The same thing almost happened to us the other night. The knight purchased a spear. The next adventure he equipped both his sword and spear putting away the shield for now. Immediately the question arose how does this work. The rulebook doesn't address it directly. But if you don't try and read more into it than what is actually there, then I believe you can come to the correct conclusion. We decided that when two single handed weapons are equipped the hero simply chooses which of the two he wishes to attack with. Sometimes the knight choose the spear because he wanted to use reach other times just used the sword. What we gathered was that equipping two weapons didn't double your firepower but rather gave you more combat options. It's either take the greater combat flexibility or you equip the shield for added protection. Once I explained it in those terms the players accepted the interpretation. At first they of coarse sided with the idea that the knight got to double his firepower since it was to their advantage to see it that way. Funny how the mind always bias itself when it's to your advantage. I bet had the player how most vehemently opposed me at first was actually plying the Over Lord he would have been 180 on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You played it correctly. The rulebook does actually address it – you choose an equipped weapon to attack with; you don't attack with all equipped weapons. The rule's on page 12: "Heroes may either attack with one equipped weapon or their bare hands."

If you have enough actions you can make one attack with one weapon, and then another with the other, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Y'all are right. Presently, equipping two one-handed weapons just gives you a choice about which weapon you want to attack with. However, in the upcoming [geekurl=http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm_sec.asp?eidm=220&esem=1]Shadow of Nerekhall[/geekurl] expansion, they're introducing the Skirmisher class, about whom they have this to say:

"While some Warriors fight best with a single, massively powerful weapon, the Skirmisher favors a different form of combat. By fighting with two one-hand weapons, Skirmishers can receive bonuses from skill and abilities."

So all you dual-wielders out there just gotta sit tight for a couple more months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the Berserker skill Weapon Mastery work with this? Reading that card seems to imply that 2 one handed weapons can be used together in an attack. When you remove the reference to one 2-handed weapon the card could read like this. "Each time you perform an attack with two 1-handed weapons, you may exhaust this card to add 1 surge to the results."

Now I understand that one handed weapons were each rolled separately, but this card makes it seem like they are used together in one attack. What the heck is it really saying?

Is it just simply a way to add a surge to your roll. And they just used to much convoluted language to say something simple?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.