GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,702 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What to teach next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My GF is hesitant to learn new games, so i would like to get the best chances that the next game is a hit again.

Games we played, before i started to bring new games:

Carcassonne she liked it a lot, but now with expansions and a high level of skill its more of a destructive game, which we both dislike right now.

Settlers of Catan we played a few times 3way, but we are both aware that there's not much strategy behind it and she never asked for it 2ways.

I taught these games in this order to my GF and all plays are 2p so far:

Puerto Rico was a big hit from the start, but it even gets hotter with more play.

Ora et Labor totally failed with her and partly with me, because it's hard to see how you will score VP at the end

Battle Line (Schotten-Totten to be exactly) was really played a lot, but it didn't stand the test of time.

Tigris and Euphrates was a decent hit, but some 2player games lack interaction.

Tikal was played three way and i think it was quite good, but didn't make too much of an impression on her.

So right now i consider showing these games to her:
1)Agricola
Might get a problem with all this resource stuff which she disliked in Ora. But i am sure it would fit her style once she played it, because its way more straightforward

2)Command and Colors: Ancients
Most will say war games and girls doesn't fit, i know...
On the other side, my GF has fun if she can flip out and get her emotions going while playing. The game being on english might offset her.

3)Brass
I feel that this might have the trickiest rules, but perhaps CC:A might seem trickier for her. Brass is probably the game which loses the most by being played by just two.

So where should i start and why?
Thx in advance

Edit: I really like the games i have so far. So i am not interested in getting new games right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:
War games and girls doesn't fit girls, i know...

Respectfully... Rubbish. This is not to mean your lover will like it. I'd go for Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. There's a wonderful walkthrough video on it so you can check it out.

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/18259/agricola-all-creatures-...

Many girls like war games, so you need to judge that on a case-by-case basis. Sounds like your GF might be one who does.

Trollhalla is a fun, simple and fast set collection game with a twist and nice artwork, and some player interaction.

Rapa Nui is loads of fun, lots of interesting decisions and intriguing mechanics wrapped up in this card game. You can try it out on Yucata.de.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:
Brass is probably the game which loses the most by being played by just two.

Is this your opinion after trying it, or a hunch without having tried it? I personally think Brass is every bit as good with 2 as it is with3 or 4. Maybe even better because of how quickly it plays. When both players know the game well, you can easily play two session in one sitting. My wife and I LOVE 2-p Brass, and she doesn't like long, overly-complex games. Nor does she like to learn anything too rules-heavy. I may have gotten lucky, but she's loved Brass since our first play.

Of all the games you mentioned up there, and in terms of 2-p games, I prefer Brass. Agricola is next in line and I haven't played CC:A.

Others to consider:

Navegador
Troyes
Innovation

EDIT: It's important to note that I use the following 2-player variant, and I have a full-color printed poster of the 2p map:

Brass 2 player variant suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If she didn´t like Ora et Labora, I don´t think Agricola is a good idea.

I´m not a fan of Command and Colors (or other war games), but if you think she might like a war game, give it a try.

Brass: Lancashire is a great game, but it is quite heavy, and you´ll need a 3rd player. Maybe the 2p variations are OK, but I never played it with two.

So I´d say with more than 2 players, take Brass, with only two try CC:A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:
Brass: Lancashire is a great game, but it is quite heavy, and you´ll need a 3rd player. Maybe the 2p variations are OK, but I never played it with two.

So I´d say with more than 2 players, take Brass, with only two try CC:A.

I'll reiterate what I said before based on this. The 2-player variant for Brass is absolutely perfect. I've played 3p, 4p, and 2p. I prefer 2p over 4p (because of downtime and game length), and it's a toss-up between the 2p and the 3p game.

Don't pass on Brass because you don't think it's good with two. Pass on it for other reasons if you will (weight, learning curve, theme turn-off, even because you don't want to use a variant), but not because you think it doesn't play well with two. I'm telling you, it's great with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
[q="Markus Hagenauer"]Brass: Lancashire

Don't pass on Brass because you don't think it's good with two. Pass on it for other reasons if you will (weight, learning curve, theme turn-off, even because you don't want to use a variant), but not because you think it doesn't play well with two. I'm telling you, it's great with two.

Well, you've convinced me, at least! Could you give me an estimate as to how long a 2p game takes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
thedacker wrote:
[q="Markus Hagenauer"]Brass: Lancashire

Well, you've convinced me, at least! Could you give me an estimate as to how long a 2p game takes?

If both players are experienced, 1-2 hours depending on AP (I'm including set-up and take-down).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.