GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,844 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Amateurs to Arms!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Indians and Rangers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the British player raises a Ranger or Voyageur in a frontier town, can he also raise 2 Indians (assuming Fort Mackinac is British held) in the same town that turn? Same card? While you are supposed to put a Troops Raised marker on the town, it seems strange that raising Rangers or Voyageurs would impede the arrival of Indians. I have assumed the troop raising limitations were generally related to the amount of the population that would be available for service. But the amount of people available in a frontier town wouldn't seem to affect the arrival of the Indians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you already know that if you Raise any troops in a Town, you can not Raise any more troops in that town until the following turn. That's made quite clear in 5.5 Raising Troops in the rules.

The reason for this is resources, not just population. Towns did not have the money, arms, ammunition, and food available in cities. And they did not have the transportation network to quickly bring in more. All of those resources are necessary for raising any kind of troops- rangers, militia, voyageurs, and Indian warriors. These different types of troops draw on different population bases- especially the Indians, as you point out- but all require the other resources. This is where the limitation comes from.

Hope this helps!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I had thought the Indians were simply trekking in from the west bringing their own weapons with them, just as any other unit might move to the location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, the British were expected to support the families of Indian warriors with food, shelter and clothing. After Perry's victory on Lake Erie made it impossible to ship food to Amhurstburg by boat, the British were unable to support the Indian families by overland transportation. This was the primary reason that they retreated towards their base of supply, leading to the Battle of the Thames, and Tecumseh's death.

Removing all Indian units at the start of every winter does not represent some horrible attrition afflicting the Indian warriors when it got cold. Rather, it forces the British player to continually invest resources in order to keep his Indian warriors- just as they had to historically.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. Now that I understand what the limit represents, it makes more sense. I have to admit that my knowledge of the War of 1812, other than the Battle of New Orleans (since I live in the New Orleans area) is very sketchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

Not only can we learn some history by playing a game, we can also learn some by asking the designer rules questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.