GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,109 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Conclusion: Why are there so many Lord of the Rings games that make no sense? I know, I know: profit. But geez. This game has nothing to do with Lord of the Rings other than the fact they call it such. I guess, on second thought, that is the only requirement.

This is one boring game. You lay some tiles and move your hobbit hoping you are lucky to be by a tile that will give you points. (Like Zomibies!!!), once the last tile is place Mount Doom is placed and then you race to be there (not to win, but to end the game and get more points). Yes, getting to Mount Doom is not the victory condition (told you this has nothing to do with the books/movies).

I can't say much more than the mechanic in this game is not fun, there is no long term strategy (other than to grab points if possible), and it does not invoke the source material. In my mind, this is a purge.

Components: This is one ugly game. The tiles are drab, mount doom is a cut out, and the minis are horribly bad (tiny minis with one color only on them, with one being a bright yellow!). The chits are really small with decent art on them, but they are not much more than just colors that you have to know the difference between. In my mind, even for a light filler the components are bad. The only saving grace are they are not cheap looking or feeling. They seem to be of top quality (just ugly and small).

Rules: My copy did not have a rule book, so I downloaded the copy off the geek. The rules were poorly organized and hard to understand. I had to pull the game out and play a little to understand what was going on. Then, I was just too bored to care.

Flow of the Game: From what I can make from the rules, you lay the tiles out in a 6 x 8 cross. Then, you play a tile, move your hobbit, and draw a tile. Exciting! The hard part is you only start a short term strategy, then change it based on new tiles. You don't know where Mount Doom will be (it is the last tile placed) so you don't really progress towards it (which wouldn't win the game for you anyway). Instead, you just wander around "adventuring" from place to place. You know just like the books! Those hobbits had no purpose. For some reason, Sam and Frodo are competing for VP and not working together to save the world from the bad guys. Odd for sure!

The real flow of the game is boredom.

Should I buy this game?: The short answer is no. Unless, you are a big fan of Lord of the Rings, just so you have to have everything with its name on it. Or, you like games with a lot of luck and only short term planning. I could see a couple play this over a coffee with no regards to winning.

*Edit: Below this to add another play review.

I played this again hoping for a different perspective. The game was dull as we got "stuck" on one side of the board. The game has an odd theme has we are competing and not really progressing towards Mount Doom. The game is so boring to look at and while people and things from Lord of the Rings pop up, there is no rhyme or reason for it to occur.

The game is an odd occurrence to me. I'm a fan of Lord of the Rings (I wouldn't say a huge fan) and yet this game is so boring. It seems to be Lord of the Rings (we have Frodo, Sam, Mount Doom, and all the characters), yet the heart of the story is missing.

To be honest, we laid some tiles, moved some hobbits, collected some stuff and we counted some points. The movement of the hobbits was way to slow to get around the board.

I'm done with this game and glad I decided to purge it. My only complaint is my Kosmos 2 player line of games will be incomplete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty Skwib
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
Games like this make me want to punch a bunny!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
*Edit: Below this to add another play review.

I played this again hoping for a different perspective. The game was dull as we got "stuck" on one side of the board. The game has an odd theme has we are competing and not really progressing towards Mount Doom. The game is so boring to look at and while people and things from Lord of the Rings pop up, there is no rhyme or reason for it to occur.

The game is an odd occurrence to me. I'm a fan of Lord of the Rings (I wouldn't say a huge fan) and yet this game is so boring. It seems to be Lord of the Rings (we have Frodo, Sam, Mount Doom, and all the characters), yet the heart of the story is missing.

To be honest, we laid some tiles, moved some hobbits, collected some stuff and we counted some points. The movement of the hobbits was way to slow to get around the board.

I'm done with this game and glad I decided to purge it. My only complaint is my Kosmos 2 player line of games will be incomplete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skwib wrote:
Games like this make me want to punch a bunny!!!

Perfect response to this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That picture scares me so much and this review just saved me $5. What a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Owen
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid twenty dollars for this game when I was fifteen. Even then I thought it sucked. The theme is not just pasted-on but actively at odds with the mechanics. The English rules are much more ambiguous than they should be for such a simple game. I agree with the reviewer that the primary failing of this game is that it is so dull that it is nearly impossible to care about anything that happens. I should probably sell it for a dollar to an obsessive LoTR fan just so I don't have to look at it on my shelf anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hygraed wrote:
I paid twenty dollars for this game when I was fifteen. Even then I thought it sucked. The theme is not just pasted-on but actively at odds with the mechanics. The English rules are much more ambiguous than they should be for such a simple game. I agree with the reviewer that the primary failing of this game is that it is so dull that it is nearly impossible to care about anything that happens. I should probably sell it for a dollar to an obsessive LoTR fan just so I don't have to look at it on my shelf anymore.

Except you might be trying to collect all the Kosmos 2 player games which is the only reason to keep the game. Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this really is a miserable game. I own just because it's LotR themed, otherwise it has absolutely nothing to offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have my copy and rewrote the rules for a nice little 2-player romp. I actually quite like it as a filler game now. I should get around to posting them one day but I always forget with so many other projects I have fixing bad and/or broken games. Stay tuned, you just might see my house-rules write up one day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keesvanloomacklin wrote:
I still have my copy and rewrote the rules for a nice little 2-player romp. I actually quite like it as a filler game now. I should get around to posting them one day but I always forget with so many other projects I have fixing bad and/or broken games. Stay tuned, you just might see my house-rules write up one day

Load them up. I'd like to see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Keesvanloomacklin wrote:

Have you posted the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.