GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,087 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Hamburgum» Forums » Rules

Subject: Flying Dutchmen as neutral Ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim fulner
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state :
HamburgumRules wrote:
A “Flying Dutchman“
is a neutral ship which occupies a place in the
harbour.

For the six months or so I have owned this game I have been playing this as a ship that any player can use to sell his goods on in the harbor. This has worked just fine.

However this past weekend I was running Hamburgum at MichCon. One of my players had plaid it previously and he said that they had played that the orange Dutchmen was just a space waster to use up one of the allocated spaces in the berth. Upon consulting the rules there isn't much beyond the above quote, so with no definition of what "neutral" actually means, I could see either of us being right. As I was the GM I stated that we do it my way, but I did want to check to see what the actual intent of the game designer was and/or the general conciseness of the BGG community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Olcese
Argentina
Córdoba
Córdoba
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always played it as "space waster", used to move other player ships to lesser value harbours, and then put an own ship.
As I understand, neutral belongs to no one, so no one can use it to sell goods. It will provide no benefit to the player who buys the building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only read the (original) German rules. The orange ship is only a place holder, no further use orthe players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, read it literally. It says it just occupies a space in the harbour, not that it can be used to ship. Further, the rules clearly state (emphasis mine):

a) Sell goods
The player may sell his goods (beer, sugar, cloth) abroad by using his own ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim fulner
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

a) Sell goods
The player may sell his goods (beer, sugar, cloth) abroad by using his own ships.

Of course if you read it literally only that means you cannot sell good at all if you happen to be a lady.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's used solely as a way of forcing the movement of other player's ships out of the good harbour, before you add your own new ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.