GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,374 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Sunrise City» Forums » General

Subject: Questions about some roles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Lewandowski
United States
St. Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my 5th game tonight (4th one too)
The people I taught had some questions.... I could not answer confidently.

Crime Boss "You score all of the bonus points for any 1st floor building you build." Does this mean no other player scores any points? I think this would be implied but I would like to have it stated.

Lawyer "At the start of the Construction Phase, swap the locations of one of your bidding chips and a bidding chip belonging to another player".
Can this be a chip that is on top of a 'double' stack that closes that space from that space

Lobbyist "At the start of the Construction Phase, you may move any unclaimed and undeveloped zone tiles to new locations in the city. All normal placement and district rules apply"
Do they have to follow the N-S-E-W restriction as well? (We thought yes)

BTW, We like the game a lot, great bits!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewk1700 wrote:
Crime Boss "You score all of the bonus points for any 1st floor building you build." Does this mean no other player scores any points? I think this would be implied but I would like to have it stated.

Yes, the Crime Boss gets all the points. The Mafia does not share.

Lewk1700 wrote:
Lawyer "At the start of the Construction Phase, swap the locations of one of your bidding chips and a bidding chip belonging to another player".
Can this be a chip that is on top of a 'double' stack that closes that space from that space

At the end of the bidding phase, you remove all bidding tokens except the top ones, so there are no bidding stacks when the Lawyer power is activated. The lawyer swaps the locations one of his winning chips and a winning chip of another player.

Lewk1700 wrote:
Lobbyist "At the start of the Construction Phase, you may move any unclaimed and undeveloped zone tiles to new locations in the city. All normal placement and district rules apply" Do they have to follow the N-S-E-W restriction as well? (We thought yes)

Yes, all placement rules must be applied, including the NSEW selection for the current round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lobbyist as ruled seems mighty powerful. If there are say 15 empty tiles, a player could work a lot of points. And as the tiles get placed one at a time, he also has a great way to make sure he hits 10 exactly.

Am I the only one thinking this may be a tad overpowered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
The Lobbyist as ruled seems mighty powerful. If there are say 15 empty tiles, a player could work a lot of points. And as the tiles get placed one at a time, he also has a great way to make sure he hits 10 exactly.

The Lobbyists power occurs during the construction phase, so she is not able to milk the board for district points as those only happen during the zoning phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:

We have also seen the lobbyist played to great effect. More than once a player has scored 4 stars (stars, not points) using the lobbyist. Compare this to other roles that give you a maximum 4 points (extra point for building even numbered building) and it does seem very powerful.

... We played it incorrectly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:

It is also risky though, as I have played games where there are few to no empty tiles after each bidding phase, making the Lobbyist role worthless. And when your opponents see that you are the lobbyist that round they will be more likely to attempt to fill the tiles with bidding chips to prevent you from being able to move them.

If your opponents allow you 15 open tiles to move around then you deserve the points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
The Lobbyists power occurs during the construction phase, so she is not able to milk the board for district points as those only happen during the zoning phase.

Then why does the card say "All district rules apply"? That seems very misleading as districts only deal with scoring points and have no other purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sochan

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

I thought the Lobbyist can earn district points when moving tiles.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/799872/lobbyist-does-she-sco...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
The Lobbyist as ruled seems mighty powerful.

Lobbyist can be really good! However, there are ways to keep her in check.

The most common way is for the other players to spread out with the bidding chips and keep zone quarrels to a minimum. A similar thing happens when the Mayor is in the round.

Try to bid around the city perimeter and Lobbyist might even move zones in your favor.

Also, Protestor and Banker Nerf Lobbyist if they happen to be in the same round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MerryHo wrote:
CleverMojo wrote:

Then why does the card say "All district rules apply"? That seems very misleading as districts only deal with scoring points and have no other purpose.

SockHandPuppet wrote:
CleverMojo wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

I thought the Lobbyist can earn district points when moving tiles.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/799872/lobbyist-does-she-sco...

So, it seems I should not reply to rules questions without actually having the rules in front of me.

On page 10 of the rules it says...All normal placement and district rules apply.

However, the actual card says...All normal placement rules apply. Districts are not mentioned.

Obviously this presents a conflict and I rule for the card text. The Lobbyist does not earn district points when using her special ability. District points are a Zoning phase mechanic and the Lobbyist works in the Construction phase.

Now, as to the directional placement, on page 7 of the rules it says...

Directional Zoning in Round 2 and Round 3
This directional limitation applies only to the Zoning Phase. The Bidding and Construction Phases may involve the entire city in every round.

Again, since the Lobbyist works in the Construction phase, I rule in favor of the card text, so the Lobbyist may move appropriate zones to any area of the city as long as there is a sidewalk-to-sidewalk connection for the new location.

I'll also post this in that other thread and I'll offer my apologies for this piece of confusion. I'll see that the rule book is updated in the next print run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.