GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,281 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
37 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What Did You Play This Weekend? 06.22.12 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings fellow geeks! It's Monday! The weekend is now over, and as we toil at our assorted labors, we should recount our past weekend gaming exploits.

So, all you weekend gamers, bring your mini-session reports and stories of weekend gaming greatness, as you pop in here to answer the question:
What did you play this weekend?

The forum version can be found here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/143847/what-did-you-pl...

Check out the subscription thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4115320 Subscribe so you don't miss a single moment of the fun!

Saturday was our monthly game day, that my wife and I host. We had a decent turn out with about 30 people showing up at the peak. I had a great day with friends and family and got to play some great games. Thanks to everyone who made it to our house. Sunday unfortunately I worked 15 hours at programming a robot (not as fun as Roborally, I assure you). So I didn't get to play Omen like I hoped.

2012-06-23
Wings of War: Deluxe Set
Galaxy Trucker
Halli Galli x 3
The Resistance
Can't Stop
Formula Motor Racing
Mansions of Madness
Skull & Roses x 2
Plato 3000

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror: Every Single God Dang Expansion Used Evar OMG

3 investigators, we lasted about 10 turns. We were up against Nyogtha with The Black Goat of the Woods as it's administrative assitstant so we had lots of monsters but also that guy who's the best monster killer, forget his name. He doesn't have to make horror checks on the first round of combat PLUS he got a Fight skill during set up.

Sadly, we had lots of gates open in Innsmouth and were unable to get there quickly because of Rumour cards so the monsters ran pell mell into the vortexes and the Deep Ones rose. Nyogtha woke up and ate us, one a turn. We got him down to 3 tokens tho which is the closest I've ever come to winning AH:ESGDEUEOMG so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played
6 awesome games of Puerto Rico
3 games of Carcassonne
and Blokus once.

Seems like my Gf might be ready for some new stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars
Carcassonne
Get Bit
Mondo
The Resistance
Cosmic Encounter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
And 28 is coming soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Amun-Re x1
Time's Up! x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb

2012-06-23
Wings of War (this was actually played with 5 planes out of blister packs (Top Fighters, Dogfight, and the Q deck from Hit & Run and the Hanriot HD1 out of Watch Your Back!)
The Resistance (x3)
Formula Motor Racing
Skull & Roses x 2
Plato 3000
Bisikle (x4)

I went to Jon's game day so my list is pretty similar... followed him around like a little puppy for the first part of the game day - as soon as you split off you have to hope for someone new to show up to play with or that something ends soon, and nothing ever seems to end soon. I started out with Formula Motor Racing, then Wings of War, then somehow got sucked into Plato 3000 which was a fun little game, then Skull & Roses which was pretty neat...

The Resistance came up after that and the spies fooled the people they needed to, unfortunately, and it all came down to Jon picking the wrong 4... that's okay though, I certainly was not being unsuspicious enough!

Then I argued with Jon about Mansion of Madness, both of us trying to get the other to play. I eventually convinced him that I wouldn't have nearly as much fun playing it as he would, so he sat down and I watched Glory to Rome for about a minute, until the game was unfortunately ended due to one of the players not really being ready for that level of complexity... so we played The Resistance instead!

I then proceeded to play the best Spy game of my life until the second to last proposal where I sent the mission that won the Resistance the game trying to bluff that there was a spy on it. Bummer. Sorry Jason - we had it, I ruined it!

We played again and I was Resistance, but immediately noticed the woman across from me was definitely trying to 'play it cool' and pegged her for a spy. I announced this and got a defense from one of the other players that 'she is a different person every game' and it was just buddy-buddy enough that I figured I had both the spies - so after the group (including both spies) voted to send Obvious Spy and me, and it passed, I cut her out of the action and went with the other 3, which also passed, and then Jason decided not to trust me, but luckily trusted the third Resistance member and we won in three missions. My comment afterwards: "That was less fun, but so much more satisfying."

I've never pegged any spy that quickly before. It was probably more that she was directly across the table from me than anything else.

I chatted with a friend and by the time I went back, they had decided to play Ingenious, which unfortunately only takes 4 players - they were nice and said they'd play Ticket to Ride instead, but really Ingenious looked interesting to me and Ticket looks like 'Let's draw cards for an hour or two' and with 5 people it's a lot closer to 2 hours... so I declined and went to find my kids.

I ended up playing Bisikle with my son, then with Jon's daughter, then with my other son and Jon's son. AFter that, I played again with another adult who was looking to see if he wanted to purchase it to play with his kids.

After that, he showed me Glory to Rome (so I can (sort of) play that now!) and then there was a mass exodus of people who have kids, including me.

All in all, a day of playing games that I normally wouldn't with good results. I would say I 'liked' all of the games I played, but I didn't get in any epic economic games that are my normal fare.

There's always next month.

Thanks to Jon for hosting and being open to play any games, from Mansions of Madness to Master of Economy. And thanks to Jamie for hosting, totally pegging the right Resistance team the first game, and totally giving herself away the second game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brown Fox
msg tools
We played Chupacabraand Rummikub.

I received my pre-order of Chupacabra a week ago. What a pleasant surprise. I'll be honest and say there's not much of a game, but it was a fun little time waster to play with the kids. The dice were very nice and the rules could be explained in 5min or less. Surprisingly, it took me less time explaining how to play to my 5yr daughter than my adult friends. The age rating of 8+ is too high. I highly recommend this game for 5 year olds too. Very simple game.

Unfortunately, there's little to no strategy in Chupacabra. You essentially roll the dice and calculate the maximum number of dice you can capture from your opponents. There were several rounds where we all rolled our dice only to discover that no one could actually mount a successful attack. The Loco rule is nice, but the game play follows that once someone has the advantage of more dice, then the game quickly falls to conclusion. It was also awkward to be chucking 20+ dice at the end of the game. Nice game, good bits, good time waster. On par with games like Zombie Dice.

Rummikub is just a good alternative to Rummy. As a family, we love the game, but it too has stale moments. Several times where the only move someone can make is drawing tiles from the bag. Several times we'll all go around the table taking turns pulling tiles only to sit and wait to see if someone else could do something. I personally think the game should have 4 wild tiles because the wild tiles are what give the game life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
Arkham Horror: Every Single God Dang Expansion Used Evar OMG

3 investigators, we lasted about 10 turns. We were up against Nyogtha with The Black Goat of the Woods as it's administrative assitstant so we had lots of monsters but also that guy who's the best monster killer, forget his name. He doesn't have to make horror checks on the first round of combat PLUS he got a Fight skill during set up.

Sadly, we had lots of gates open in Innsmouth and were unable to get there quickly because of Rumour cards so the monsters ran pell mell into the vortexes and the Deep Ones rose. Nyogtha woke up and ate us, one a turn. We got him down to 3 tokens tho which is the closest I've ever come to winning AH:ESGDEUEOMG so far.

That sounds like great (and very, very time-consuming- fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much:

Saturday
Magnate x1

Sunday
Magnate x2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Vanvyve
Belgium
Wijnegem
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday
Watched the football game on TV.
then had a game of The Pillars of the Earth and ended the night with 5 hours of Poker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at AnCon http://www.anothergamecon.com/ on the weekend and I ran a number of Eminent Domain Play to Win events. Was a lot of fun and I had a great time.

For the Weekend I played
Eminent Domain x 8 - I did more teaching than playing.
Flash Point: Fire Rescue x 2
Finca x 2
The Resistance x 2
Walnut Grove

I also met a guy who had entered his game into a game development contest. His game is Transylvania: the card game it is a really enjoyable card game for 3 players. It is very well done and his game ended up winning the contest.

Transylvania: the card game x 2

I had the pleasure of Judging the Iron Geek with Larry Roznai from Mayfair Games and Super Dave. The Iron Geek was a game design competition where teams were created and they were given a theme and they had to design a game from scratch based on that theme. Was a lot of fun and the games that were developed were very creative.

All in all it was a great time,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
Citadels, King of Tokyo and then the longest game of Battlestar Galactica I've ever played. I think it took six hours. It was me and four new players, everyone had a lot of fun but we definitely took our time (smoke breaks, food breaks, etc). Also we read the flavor text on every crisis card doing our best impressions of the characters. It was a lot of fun and even after the super long game that didn't end until 4AM everyone was already talking about the next time we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game of Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) We played a six player game. I held my own with the veterans of this game. I should do better next time I play now that I understand the VP conditions better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Owens
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game with the girlfriend. We finally won for the first time! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh M

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taught my gf Innovation, which she enjoyed playing(although it caused her to frequently use the phrase "Wait, hold on, clearly I can't read") and actually beat me the first game (and would have the second game if I didn't pick up Pirate's Code at just the right time and decimate her score pile).

Sunday night featured the winner and still champion of "want to play a game?": three games of Dominion (Main, Seaside, Intrigue, Cornucopia and yes, even Alchemy mixed in).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2P Small World (with Cursed, Grand Dames, and about half the races and powers from Small World Underground) with the wife in a coffee shop while waiting for our son. She had a great midgame where her flocking orcs (and fortified gnomes in decline) scored huge (around 13-16 pts a turn!!), and she beat me 102-85....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dahl
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Navegador x1
Dominion x2
Hawaii x1
Eminent Domain (not played by me, but played by friends at the same table while I played Dominion)
Shadows over Camelot x1
7 Wonders x2
Monty Python Fluxx x1

Full report here: Meandering the Dune Sea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Van Landegem
Belgium
Louvain
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Dominion, Dixit: Odyssee, Take 5, 7 wonders and The Resistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good weekend with the following games played:

Stronghold X2
Memoir'44 X3
Lords of Waterdeep X3

Great playing this weekend, I just wish we could have finished the Memoir'44 Campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rifenburg

Norman
Oklahoma
msg tools
My wife and I finally were able to make our way through a whole game of Defenders of the Realm. Great game, but with a hyper 2 year-old, it is hard for us to have 2+ hours of intense minion-slaying concentration. Alas, we lost.

Also played Race for the Galaxy for the first time.

Played Carcassonne: The Discovery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This past weekend was a very big gaming weekend for me as it was an annual trek to an invitational gaming event (with overnight stays) at a friend's house in NJ. About 25 people in attendance, 4 - 5 games going on, hard to remember everything, but here's what I can recall having played along with some highlights of the games themselves.

Village

3 plays. Most played game of the weekend, as it was played by others on two other occasions for a total of five plays, and it was the only game with two games going on at once. (To my pleasant surprise, two others in attendance had recently purchased the game so we had multiple copies on hand.) This is my favorite new game of the past year, also the most played game in 2012, with around 25 - 30 plays thus far. I managed a high score of 71 in game one, but got crushed when another player had the highest score of 87 (highest I have seen yet), doing well at everything in a longer game where people obviously had longer than expected life expectancies. The second game I was dead last, but pleased to see the two new players I taught the game catch on, each contending for the win in their first play -- the winning move was when one player did a "pull back" from the Craft to his farmyard, taking a black cube to get to the final spot in the chronicles. I redeemed myself with a win in the third game, doing well in most categories except the customers, where two players dominated the action. However, I managed to score the church 5 - 6 times to make up the deficit. This, IMHO, is a great game, much ignored by the cognescenti on BGG until recently, and I hope it wins the Kennerspiel award for which it is a deserving finalist.

Quarriors!

3 plays also. Mostly a quick filler waiting to get on sequence with other groups. Won one, lost two. Good fun -- got to study the creature cards a bit more. Like it better than Dominion right now.

Martian Dice

Another quick-playing filler. I believe I managed a win in a close three-way battle. Prefer this to Zombie Dice and even Can't Stop.

Vegas Showdown

An all-time favorite, always willing to play. My game is really beat up and dog-earred as it's been one of the most played games in my collection. IMHO, this game deserves to be right up there with the top Euros but it hasn't gotten the love that it should on BGG because it was a US company and little-known US designer without a big rep that didn't debut at a major convention like Essen. Too bad, people who haven't tried the game are missing out. In the most recent game, I got the Theatre near the end, but it was only good enough to salvage a middle of the pack finish in a highly competitive 5-player game this time.

Automobile

Another all-time favorite, Martin Wallace's best game, IMHO. Played a four-player with one newbie, while there was one very experienced player who was my main competition -- and I managed to win with a score of slightly over 4000. It was an unusual game in that we finished one spot short of Hupmobile -- barely halfway around the board. I finished the game with ZERO loss cubes -- Woo - hoo !!

Founding Fathers

Was pleased to be able to work a play of this game in. Has one common designer (Jason Matthews) with other historical/election games like Twilight Struggle, Campaign Manager, 1960 and 1989 and frankly, I like this one better than the rest of the lot -- despite the fact that most of the others have higher Geek ratings. This game was a three-player tug-of-war in which I came in second or third, can't recall which. Enjoyed the game immensely, looking forward to another play soon, probably at the upcoming WBC in early August if not sooner.

Jet Set

This is a game I did not request but happily joined in. Believe I came in second as another player who concentrated on setting up his "10" route early in the game was the winner. I got mine done maybe 2 turns too late, having done a fairly good job of setting up an early income string. Don't like this one as much as others as I feel the way the cards come out kind of dictate or "straight jacket" your strategic options in the game.

Can't Stop

Played right after JetSet. I think this was one of those late night games played when people wanted to stay up a bit later or couldn't wait to leave. Believe I was in contention but didn't win, maybe 2nd or 3rd with two numbers at the top. Always a good filler.

Royal Palace

I had only played this once or twice before, maybe 2-3 years back after the game first came out. I played it because all the other players were people I enjoyed playing with. Dan, the guy who won the game, is a really excellent player (he's won major Euro-game tournaments before at WBC and EuroQuest) and it was impressive to see how quickly he could calculate all the possibilities. I had left during the scoring to set up a teaching game of Village, but was pleased to learn I had done well enough to come in second to Dan after I thought I was headed for last or next to last position. Liked the game well enough to give it another shot.

Tribune: Primus Inter Pares
Tribune Expansion

Played with the expansion but without the Brutti. Everyone had played the regular game before but the expansion was new to two of the four players. Doug, another strong gamer, ran away with the game (he's also the one who won the Vegas Showdown game). Nothing seemed to work for me as I focused on the low-hanging fruit, an early Favor of the Emperor and an early Patron (the slave token) but whiffed badly when trying to get the Tribune by controlling two factions at once. Enjoy the game alot, want to try it again soon as I was rusty on the rules and also want to try it with the Brutti expansion as well.

Harry's Grand Slam Baseball Game

This is game someone else had brought that I had played once before, and we used it as a bit of a filler while waiting for other games to finish. I was the visitor and he, living near Philadelphia, was the home Phillies. I got crushed by something like 11 - 2 but it was lots of fun anyway.

The Manhattan Project

Played three-player, and I managed to eke out a win with just two Uranium bombs while another player (who had focused on Plutonium) was just a turn away. Not much conflict in this one, I believe I was the only one to select espionage (once) and, while there was the usual military buildup, no one attacked. Got to 56 points with the two large bombs, then had enough change lying around to load both of them, although I only needed one for the 60-pt victory requirement.

Thurn and Taxis: Power and Glory

This game had a similar to result to the Manhattan Project -- except this time I was the one who was one turn short of victory, losing out 21 to 20 as I was one house short of going out (and I had the needed card in hard) when another player ended it to claim the win. I prefer the "Power and Glory" version to the regular game and the other expansions as it's a bit more strategic, removing the artificial device of the carriage points and carriage ending, as you need to put together routes and get your houses down, and the fact you can play a city card for horses means that rarely (if ever) will you have to pick up a route.

Outpost

This is one I had played once or twice before, but my first play with the new edition. I like the rules change that has the hand limit apply right after production. I won the game with a Water strategy after the other two players took both the Data Labs and the Titanium entry technology. After dropping out of the bidding for the final Titanium, one of the players told me I had the lost the game at that point. I eventually proved them wrong, snatching up a Warehouse and a Nodule to increase Colonist and Hand Size, then the Robot and Ecoplants and the key was barely winning the bid for the first Outpost. I got the 160 and 200 cards in the endgame and won with 74 points as the top titanium player was still a few bucks short when the 200 card came out. My first win at Outpost.

Bauernschlau

One of two games played I had never seen before, and I managed to win.
Thanks to
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

for bringing it.

Hey Waiter!

Another game that was totally new to me. I was partners with Rod and we pulled out a close one after I figured out the value of taking actions to flip your waiters to set up the "double action" play of removing a cover then serving a dish in one turn.

Finally, a note on one game I did play but not face-to-face:

Tour: Cycle Free

I recently set up a 2012 Tour de France PBEM with players from all over the world, four countries and three continents. This weekend people began making their moves for the first stage. Results will be tracked on this thread at BGG:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/811028/2012-tour-de-france-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg C
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Saturday Nite

Pandemic x2 - 1 Win, 1 Loss at the easiest difficulty for the win we only had 1 card left in the draw pile so normal difficulty should be interesting

7 Wonders x1
Settlers of Catan x1
Zombie Dice x3
Carcassonne x1

Sunday Nite

Monopoly Deal x3
Lost Cities x1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday-I had to take my oldest daughter to a local library for some volunteer work, so to kill some time my other daughter and I played a game of Checkers.

Saturday-1 game of Union Pacific with my wife, my best friend, and his wife. After they left my wife asked to play Bananagrams. We played twice.

Sunday- One game of Stone Age and one game of Crokinole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday
Husker du x2
Clue
Coloretto x2
Blink x2
Fluxx
First train to Nuremberg
Ticket to ride
Ticket to ride legendary Asia

Saturday
Zooloretto
Clue x3
Mousetrap x3

Sunday
Race for the galaxy
Mr Jack
Husker du
Taiga
Blink x2
Defenders of the realm
Ticket to ride
Lost cities
Tsuro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stumbled into Barnes and Noble on Friday in time to see them moving a selection of board games to a table marked clearance - 50% off.

I scored Fresco and Prolix for about $40.

Shortly afterwards, I arrived at my FLGS to discover a copy of Airlines Europe - which excited me greatly.

Fresco x 3

Airlines Europe x 3

Dominion x 4-5

Race for the Galaxy x 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.