GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,525 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Once Upon A Time (the Forum Game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane H
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious if there is enough interest in a public Play by Forum game of Once Upon A Time? If so sound out and I'll happily moderate it.

Shane H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy and have played through it once once without the
interruption aspect. I'm curious what rule changes would be made
unless all players were playing at the same time.
PBF - I'd consider playing.

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this would be a fun thing to try. We'd need to make up some rules for a variant of course. Like the above poster said, no Interrupts possibly. And the current storyteller would have to post a certain number of sentences at a time. Maybe 4? And then stop for a certain time. Maybe 5 hours? A full day? That, in order to give everyone a fair chance to take over the story.

Either that or all players agree to a time to play and all be on the forum live at the same time to play a complete game. We'd still need rules. Again, a 4 sentence at a time limit or something. then maybe 5 minutes wait before moving to the next 4 to see if anyone takes over. And maybe only a 1 card limit for the current storyteller to be able to play in those 4 sentences.

Anyway, anyone up to trying this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like this idea might have died, but I have a few thoughts.

1. Play is cooperative. You tell some of the story playing one card and pass the story (by finishing the post). Everyone works towards the same ending, which is known from the beginning.

2. Only the moderator knows what cards everyone has and sends them a message with a list of cards. That way you have no idea where the story will go and have to hope things work out.

3. The story rotates through all players in order until all cards are played, and hopefully the ending makes sense.

4. I would be happy to moderate a game like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had an idea for a new type of online play for Once Upon a Time. It was basically this: The host selects 1 starting card and an ending, publishes the ending and begins the story with the starting card. Then anyone who wishes to play can draw a card from their own set and add to the story, being sure to bold the name of the card in the post so everyone knows why the story went the way it did. And so it continues until someone decides they’ve adequately reached the ending.

Other thoughts:

Anyone who wishes to play but doesn’t have a set can geekmail the host for a card, who will then reply with the name and type of a card randomly drawn (ex. Character-Bandit or Thing-Crown).

The host can set a minimum number of turns before the story can end, though it may take more turns.

Individual players must wait a period of time between posts if others are posting (1 day?) and a slightly longer time between posts if no one else posts (1 week?). The host can set time increments.

The host could choose a theme by stating what expansions to include. For example, a magical theme could be chosen by including the base set, Enchanted Tales, and Fairy Tales. The base should always be included for ease of inclusion.

I think this also captures the spirit of the game in its "tell a story together" aspects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.