GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

City of Guilds: The Dice Game» Forums » General

Subject: Player Reference Design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my new design for the player reference cards. These will be 4" x 5". The colour reproduction across the two is a little off, I'll fix this when I make the final files. Each reference card will be the relevant colour to match the player pieces, and will also have it's own Coat of Arms in the background (I've changed these from the original player aids to better match the style).

I should also point out the player references are now double sided, so the top image is the front and the bottom image the back. This has allowed me to include a guild reference in addition to the dice reference.

Please let me know what you think, and if you spot and spelling or grammatical issues.

Thanks
Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed I can't spell relevant lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
awakener76 wrote:
Just noticed I can't spell relevant lol

Or "opposite".

Here are my thoughts and recommendations:
1) The size of this player aid seems large in comparison to the area cards.

2) Why not center the name of each House since the remainder of the card is centered.

3) This player aid omits any reference to Raise Funds (Gain x gold). Was that intentional?

4) Perhaps substitute the comma for "to" as in: Pay 2 gold to take a VP token from the supply

5) Did you intend to omit the term "Bribe a Guild" from the bribe description?

6) No comma is needed between "or" in the following sentence.
"The game ends immediately once a player places their last influence cube or purchases the last VP token."

7) Here's a recommendation for rewording the final sentence. This also keep it from ending with a preposition.
"Your score is equal to the total from VP tokens you purchased, plus 1 VP for each of your influence cubes in play, plus VP from control (complete or shared) of city areas when the game ends."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'm trying to get as much info on there as possible without making the fonts too small. I'll experiment with the size a bit once I'm happy with the content. The size shown is pretty much as big as I'd ever go I think. I might experiment with them being the same size as the area cards and see if that is still readable.

2. Maybe, layout isn't final yet. I might have the house name down the side, thus giving more vertical room to the reference text.

3. Yes, Raise Funds is only mentioned once in the rules and I can't think of a way to say Raise Funds and the amount in a more succinct way than "Gain X Gold".

4. Sounds good.

5. No, that's an oversight on my part I think.

6. Thanks.

7. Sounds good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marling
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I think the 3/4/5 die straight/of a kind explanations need to say you can choose to instead take 3/4/5 gold

2) I also think at the top you might want to put something like:

NOTE: You must be in an area matching one of your used dice to use the chosen action (either receiving gold, or using an influence cube).

I think this needs to be rammed home.

3) On Full House, you need to say you also have the option of removing a cube. On that subject, I'd suggest the removal option being weakened so that you only get to remove a single cube from one of the two areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So your suggesting something like:

Full House - Gain 1 influence in each of the two areas (space allowing) OR remove 1 cube from either area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marling
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
awakener76 wrote:
So your suggesting something like:

Full House - Gain 1 influence in each of the two areas (space allowing) OR remove 1 cube from either area.

Yup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.