Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
FROE is for Fastest Review on Earth.
That means that I won't go into any detail but just give my humble opinion and talk about my general experience.

What is it?

A very thematic worker's placement game. And the theme ifs fun since you raise monsters to sell them to dark lords of dark darkness

Pros and cons

Pros:

Extremely thematic. It's really incredible the way a game with a mechanic so complex can be so thematic. You'll end up crying when you sell your baby monster, you'll be hysterical when it gets sad. That point is a real marvel! Honest, just today: watching my poor cyclopean penguin deep in tons of poo with sadness tokens on him nearly made me want to take th token in my arms and cuddle it (well... I had been an extremely BAD imp while caring for my penguin...)

Extremely beautiful. Last stop. Excellent artwork.

Plays very well for two: I've only ever played it with my wife and we've had massive fun just the two of us. Just be aware that you'll have a couple more rules to learn (and see the cons if you've just thought "pff I don't care")

Multiple path to victory: yeah... really! There are many ways to play this game and that leads to next point

Excellent learning curve.

The rules are a must-read: full of real good fun!

Cons:

Only one:
Beware the "kawai" monsters: this is definitely NOT a game for everyone. Your casual gamer friends will HATE you with this one. They'll hate your guts and wish you'd die in heaps of monster's dung! True
It's pure hardcore. Especsially with the "expert" variant where you have less luck involved.

Honest, it's really hardcore. I had to read the rules three times before we eventually made no mistakes while playing!

My rating and conclusion:

If someone steals this game from me I'll buy it again. If it mutates and goes in another dimension, I'll buy it again. If it gets ferocious and breaks its cage and goes I way I'll buy it again and if it poops on my head while I'm at work I'll keep it nonetheless.

A solid 9 for me.
SOLID 9 and a half say !

End of review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i couldnt agree more, dungeon petz is solid & a blast to play.
we got two kids of 9 & 11 playing it very well...practice is all it takes for even younger players as its all very intuitive and feels right.
gets a 9.2 from me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EJ Holleman
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're playing with your kids???? I have to try that!!!
(sets up Dungeon Petz, rushes upstairs to kick kids out of bed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
do it pal, those kids just love drowning petz in poop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
we got two kids of 9 & 11 playing it very well...practice is all it takes for even younger players as its all very intuitive and feels right.
gets a 9.2 from me ;)

Man you're either a really GREAT dad or your kids are GENIUSES (or BOTH!)

I'm 100% sure that ALL of my non-gaming (say very very casual to be lenient...)thirty-something friends would HATE to have to learn and deal with all the rules and subleties of this marvellous game!

But I always say: the younger they start, the brighter they get.
And a kid's never bright enough in this cruel world, is he?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:
biffta wrote:
gets a 9.2 from me

I'm 100% sure that ALL of my non-gaming (say very very casual to be lenient...)thirty-something friends would HATE to have to learn and deal with all the rules and subleties of this marvellous game!

9 & 11? Dude, they're practically old farts by now.

5 seemed about right for my son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
brunogaia wrote:
biffta wrote:
gets a 9.2 from me

9 & 11? Dude, they're practically old farts by now.

5 seemed about right for my son.

Now YOU're bragging

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:
FROE is for Fastest Review on Earth.
That means that I won't go into any detail but just give my humble opinion and talk about my general experience.

What is it?

A very thematic worker's placement game. And the theme ifs fun since you raise monsters to sell them to dark lords of dark darkness :)

Pros and cons

Pros:

Extremely thematic. It's really incredible the way a game with a mechanic so complex can be so thematic. You'll end up crying when you sell your baby monster, you'll be hysterical when it gets sad. That point is a real marvel! Honest, just today: watching my poor cyclopean penguin deep in tons of poo with sadness tokens on him nearly made me want to take th token in my arms and cuddle it (well... I had been an extremely BAD imp while caring for my penguin...)

Extremely beautiful. Last stop. Excellent artwork.

Plays very well for two: I've only ever played it with my wife and we've had massive fun just the two of us. Just be aware that you'll have a couple more rules to learn (and see the cons if you've just thought "pff I don't care")

Multiple path to victory: yeah... really! There are many ways to play this game and that leads to next point

Excellent learning curve.

The rules are a must-read: full of real good fun!

Cons:

Only one:
Beware the "kawai" monsters: this is definitely NOT a game for everyone. Your casual gamer friends will HATE you with this one. They'll hate your guts and wish you'd die in heaps of monster's dung! True
It's pure hardcore. Especially with the "expert" variant where you have less luck involved.

Honest, it's really hardcore. I had to read the rules three times before we eventually made no mistakes while playing!

My rating and conclusion:

If someone steals this game from me I'll buy it again. If it mutates and goes in another dimension, I'll buy it again. If it gets ferocious and breaks its cage and goes I way I'll buy it again and if it poops on my head while I'm at work I'll keep it nonetheless.

A solid 9 for me.
SOLID 9 and a half say :star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::star::halfstar: !

End of review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Commerce
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My 13 and 15 year old daughters love the game as well...I would give it a solid 9.

biffta wrote:
gets a 9.2 from me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, I don't think Dungeon Petz is all that hard to learn for people who are already playing lighter games. If your group can play 7 Wonders, say, then Dungeon Petz is a jump up in complexity but it's manageable. The really tough part is not just making sure your pets survive, but aligning them to Dungeon Lord's preferences; by turn 3, most everyone will be comfortable enough to start thinking about that then. They won't be masters, but they'll do well enough.

It's not a gateway game, but neither is it a hardcore experience. I'd call it a medium-weight game, and it should be fine to introduce it to anyone who is playing games already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls