GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Monsterpocalypse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lightning Attack question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was with Voltron map, but either way. It was a coordinated attack using the black bad guy as leader (he has lightning). He rolled some white and boost dice from him and from the guy who was helping. The attack hit. Now he attacks again, but as a brawl (even though the unit he's attacking is 3 away) and using same dice. The guy helping the leader had a boost dice with blast attacks, but not with brawl. In fact, he couldn't brawl at all.

Does this mean he's the boost dice from all units as if it was another blast attack or just his own boost dice because it's a brawl?

I ruled that he uses all of the dice he can as if both units attempted to brawl (meaning he lost the boost dice from the helper unit). My friend said that makes lightning almost pointless since it would almost never hit twice. I thought it wouldn't be pointless if you had good units together, just his combination didn't work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lightning Attack makes another attack of the same type as the first. In this case, you are making another blast attack.

Any attack that uses the 'dice in play' keeps all the dice even if a situation, like a trigger, moves you away from a figure granting boost dice to adjacent figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin duda
United States
fremont
California
flag msg tools
themaster408 wrote:
This was with Voltron map, but either way.

No problem; all the abilities work the same on every map.

themaster408 wrote:
It was a coordinated attack using the black bad guy as leader (he has lightning). He rolled some white and boost dice from him and from the guy who was helping. The attack hit. Now he attacks again, but as a brawl

nope. Lightning attack says: Once each turn, this monster can roll a second attack of the same type with dice in play against the same target monster.
This means that you use all the dice you rolled the first time, to attack the same target (monster, not unit) again with the same kind of attack. It only triggers if you hit the first time. it's used to deal more than one damage to a monster in a turn.

themaster408 wrote:
(even though the unit he's attacking is 3 away) and using same dice. The guy helping the leader had a boost dice with blast attacks, but not with brawl. In fact, he couldn't brawl at all.

Was the second figure Lo-tor's Command ship? I hope so, because you can't have the Rhino Robeast and a skull ship attacking in the same attack (one is a monster[morpher] and one is a unit).
But yeah, you would have used the blast twice, with the same dice you rolled, against the same target, but you can't split lightning attack up between 2 targets. There's an ability that lets you do that; it's called Blitz, but it's not on any of the figures in the voltron game. (if you want to destroy multiple units in the voltron game, you need to use explosion. If you hit a unit with explosion, everything around that unit that would have been hit by the blast takes one damage (that usually kills every unit around it, and sometimes damages adjacent monsters if you roll high enough)

themaster408 wrote:
Does this mean he's the boost dice from all units as if it was another blast attack or just his own boost dice because it's a brawl?

well, in this case you were (hopefully) attacking with monsters, not with units, but yes, if the ability says "dice in play", you use all the dice you rolled for the second attack, even though the other figures aren't actually helping in the second attack.
There's only one unit that has blitz (and none that have lightning attack); the razor beetle lets you combine a bunch of units into a brawl, and the razor beetle slingshots off the attack and brawls a new target.
There are other abilities that let a figure make a second attack against any target (follow-through, following fire, and chain attack), but they use fresh dice.

themaster408 wrote:
I ruled that he uses all of the dice he can as if both units attempted to brawl (meaning he lost the boost dice from the helper unit).

nope; he uses all the dice you rolled the first time.

themaster408 wrote:
My friend said that makes lightning almost pointless since it would almost never hit twice. I thought it wouldn't be pointless if you had good units together, just his combination didn't work well.

well, it's used to hit monsters twice, so you'll be throwing a lot of dice to make sure it happens, usually with 3 morphers contributing to the attack, and adding lots of power dice to make sure it happens.

I'm a little bit worried that you might be playing wrong (or, more accurately, not playing by the rules; there is no "playing wrong" if you're having fun).

Just to run down the rules of the voltron game, you each have 2 "monsters", voltron and lo-tron. They both start off as the 5 morphers (the lions and the robeasts, respectively).
you take a unit turn first, and all the units spawn, move, and attack if you can afford it. Then you take a monster turn and all your morphers power up, move, and attack (they don't spawn; they're always on the map). Damage to one morpher is counted for all the morphers. Once they're all dead (they've taken enough damage in total to kill them), or if you pay the hyper cost of your big figure right after you power up, you replace them all with your big figure (your "hyper" form).
The morphers can (should) make combined attacks just like units, but because they're monsters, they can add power dice (only 2 per morpher) to an attack. They also can't be crushed or swatted like units, because they're monsters. They CAN be thrown (not on top of each other), smashed, and body-slammed like monsters can, but they can't make any power attacks themselves.

It really is a pretty complicated set of rules for a standalone game; in some ways, the full monsterpocalypse game is often simpler. But I hope this helped.

Feel free to check out my printable reference sheets if you need a hand;
gameknave.com/monpoc/cards
(you want galaxy garrison and planet doom for the voltron game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was Rhino Robeast as leader, scorpion robeast as helper vs one of my lions.

Lightning Attack - Once each turn, if target monster is hit by this figure's blast attack, this monster can roll a second brawl attack against the same target monster with the same dice used for the first attack.

It's because it talks about brawl and not blast later that made the confusion. I am also confused about it having "this figure's" in bold. Is that just to make sure you don't use another monster's trigger accidentally?

Yeah, sorry I said unit, I couldn't remember the names of the monsters (just now busted out the map to check it), I should have said monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you getting that description from? The last page of the Voltron rulebook:

Lightning Attack: Once each turn, this monster can roll a second attack of the same type with dice in play against the same target monster.

The subject of the ability is bolded in ability description. So with lightning attack, this monster means that the monster with the trigger gets the ability and cannot get the same ability again that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin duda
United States
fremont
California
flag msg tools
Donald wrote:
Where are you getting that description from?

oh... wow. The map has shorthand descriptions of all the abilities, and it's worded that way. That is a big ol typo. I suggest printing these out and using them as your in-game reference; they're 100% correct (but flight works a little differently on the space maps, so you can ignore it for now).

http://gameknave.com/monpoc/cards/english/planet_doom.jpg
http://gameknave.com/monpoc/cards/english/galaxy_garrison.jp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.