GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,485 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Ideas? Looking for a simple Boardgame Dungeon crawler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Turner
United States
Bexley
Ohio
flag msg tools
BGG has paid for itself by saving me from buying crappy games!
badge
Come on people! Donate! nothing in life is free!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I was thinking about trying to find a simple dungeon crawler that my son and his friends could play. I was hoping for something where they can be a team, and I could act as a DM. I played D&D when I was young, but it has been a long time. I am looking for something simpler, that could be set up quickly with out a lot of explaining. He is 10.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Sean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

And you don't even need a DM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan S.
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do not mind buying used games I would suggest you get yourself a copy of HeroQuest on whatever is your favorite auction/local ads website. The level of complexity is just perfect for 10 years old and you can run the game as the DM against the heroes team. This game is solely responsible for igniting my dungeoncrawling-geek-addiction back when I was 9 and to this day it is my introductory dungeoncrawling game before moving up to more complex games. Though with the amount of official and fanmade expansion material available on the web, plus the fact that you can make your own quests, you could spend quite a lot of time with this one. It is also one of the easiest game to explain I have ever played. 2mn tops and new players are ready to go kill and loot monsters in their first dungeon.

Dragon Strike is also a (slightly more complex) decent second choice if you can find it, as it is equally OOP. If you get it just DO NOT ever show the children the VHS that comes with the game or they'll run away screaming But watch it yourself for a good laugh especially if you used to play D&D.

If you are ready to step off the beaten path then Catacombs is also a pretty simple dexterity game with a dungeon crawl theme which is a lot of fun and might appeal to young people.

I was not impressed with Castle Ravenloft and the recent D&D coop boardgames myself but it is indeed one of the few modern dungeon crawling boardgames in stores available right now that might fit the bill for you considering the complexity requirements. No DM for those games though as previously mentioned.

Otherwise next month the 2nd edition of Descent is supposed to be released. While the 1st edition is too complex for 10 years old kids and its game length a bit prohibitive, the 2nd edition is supposed to have been streamlined so if you take the burden of learning and explaining rules and then run the game as DM it 'might' fit your needs.

Super Dungeon Explore is also a pretty good non-scenario-driven-DM-based game but to me it lacks the exploration part of other boardgames I mentioned and would better be classified as a dungeon-located-miniatures-skirmish game. The game system is quite a bit more complex but still explainable to interested non-ADD children and the miniatures are pretty good but the game is expensive, you have to assemble the miniatures and if you do not plan on purchasing the future expansions you might find the gameplay somewhat limited and repetitive.

Hope it helps !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lefebvre
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dungeon Run would probably fit the bill, however, there's no DM, and there's some back stabbing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Turner
United States
Bexley
Ohio
flag msg tools
BGG has paid for itself by saving me from buying crappy games!
badge
Come on people! Donate! nothing in life is free!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for all the help, I will start my pursuit. Hero quest is the one I heard about, so I guess I need to start thrifting. I will look at the D&D ones also.

I guess the DM part is not a necessity, but I just thought it would keep me involved without being on their team.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saltone wrote:
I guess the DM part is not a necessity, but I just thought it would keep me involved without being on their team.

If that's important to you, then Descent is a great way to go, although the D&D Adventure games are an excellent suggestion for accessible team-based play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.