GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,972 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: naming conventions: 'ranged unit/class' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KC Drez
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have a unit type that is currently called 'Ranged' (along with infantry, cavalry, artillery, etc). each unit also has their individual 'range', i.e. how far they can attack. i foresee some potential confusion in the naming conventions.

my question is do you have any synonyms or other unit/class names that may include a 'Ranged' type? the game's lore has some elements of fantasy and future, so 'archer' or 'gunner' wouldn't make sense, as some units may be archers and others gunners.

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben harvey
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try 'missle units' instead of calling them 'ranged'

anything from rocks and arrows to bullets and rockets being a type of
'missle' in the essentially physical sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooters
Line of sight units
Non mele units
Distance units

I don't see a problem with good old Ranged units though. People know what that means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to say that "ranged" is just kind of bland. I notice that you have artillery as a type. What would be the difference between a ranged unit and an artillery unit? What kind of weapon platform does a "ranged" unit represent? Infantry with a specific type of gun, armor, one distinct kind of unit or is it just generalized? It just seems bland and uninspired. Maybe a little background on your setting and the types of units would help us a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question that may help. When you say "ranged", how are you determining range and what are the ranges of the other units? Compared to say... infantry and artillery.

If infantry have a range of 1 and artillery has a range of 3... and "ranged" units have a range of 2... then maybe call them support weapons.

If "ranged" has a range of 4, I would suggest maybe Rocket Artillery.

Again... knowing a general idea of the setting would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Drez
United States
California
flag msg tools
Komodo wrote:
Another question that may help. When you say "ranged", how are you determining range and what are the ranges of the other units? Compared to say... infantry and artillery.

If infantry have a range of 1 and artillery has a range of 3... and "ranged" units have a range of 2... then maybe call them support weapons.

If "ranged" has a range of 4, I would suggest maybe Rocket Artillery.

Again... knowing a general idea of the setting would help.

artillery actually hasnt been implemented yet but we plan on it soon. currently theres an infantry (range 1), cavalry (range 1), ranged (range 3), heavy (range 2), and caster (range varies). they all have a movement speed, range, damage, health and/or special abilities. the difference in the future between artillery and ranged would be a difference in all four stats, as well as potentially giving them abilities; the ranged units currently don't have any abilities

the setting is steam punk technology, with 4 races fighting over a specific city. each race has a different specialty, whether it be magic, technology, or other, but all have at least a few of each unit type, some more than others. i thought of each race could call them something different (archer, gunner, etc) but i would like to have a general name for them for explanation in the rulebook and change-logs.

does that help? thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DuckOfDeath V
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sniper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe go with "shooter" then. Or maybe "Ranger"? Or "Reacher"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
currently called 'Ranged' (along with infantry, cavalry, artillery, etc).

These "classes" don't currently seem like they go together.

If you're going to have "infantry, cavalry, etc" then your "ranged" units should be called artillery, archers, etc. They should have some sort of military function like the others.

If you want to stick with "ranged" units, going by abstract functionality, then the names for the other classes should be melee units, support units, etc.

But infantry, cavalry, and then ranged...? That naming scheme doesn't seem quite right to begin with.

I recommend using "archers" as your "Ranged" unit. I realize that some may be crossbowmen, or spear throwers, or even fireball tossers, but I think the "archery" convention still works well, goes with the other names, and conveys its function.

Or else lump it all together under the currently existing "artillery" title. That will work, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Drez
United States
California
flag msg tools
lordrahvin wrote:
If you want to stick with "ranged" units, going by abstract functionality, then the names for the other classes should be melee units, support units, etc.

But infantry, cavalry, and then ranged...? That naming scheme doesn't seem quite right to begin with.

thats why im posting this, because i dont want to use ranged, nor am i a fan of the current naming scheme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you call them "ballistic units?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about "Skirmisher"? The term is used to represent a frontline light infantry unit with ranged weapons. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.