GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,606 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just recently got my 2nd edition board replacement and wanted to know if I should use some options from the 1st edition with the second.

1st - To those that have played 1st Ed, ACOK exp and 2nd edition, which edition do you believe has the more balanced set of house cards? I'm not including ASOS's as I keep those cards in the ASOS box as a base game all on it's own with 1st edition components.

2nd - Someone had said there was differences in the 1st edition map and the 2nd edition. Could anyone tell me what those charges are?

3rd - Do any 1st edition owners use Fortifications in their 2nd edition game? I just ask because (a) It's something else that a Consolidate Power order can do which I think makes it more interesting and (b) 2nd edition already includes Siege Engines which I thought would go hand-in-hand with fortifications. If yes, did you reduce the number of Fortifications as each house has less Siege Engines available to them? If not, any reason why?

Never thought about the one-time orders (OTO) because I thought I read consolidate can now be used for mustering a bit which seems better IMO. Also the House OTO didn't seem balanced so I'll probably never use them.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - If not counting ASOS cards, they are all pretty unbalanced shake.. ACOK got way out there with all the "magic the gathering spell and counterspell" effects ACOK expansion was more balanced Lannister vs Greyjoy card wise though, 2nd edition gives Greyjoy the better cards again (just like the 1st Ed, where Greyjoy had the best cards of any house).

2 - River border near three towers was modified, I think it used to extend up to Dornish marches. Not sure what the other changes were, if any.

3 - Not really, no one really builds them in my group (they favour getting the money or when possible mustering) and it is another rule I tire of teaching to new people. You could do it though. I think removing them was part of a general move toward greater offense in 2nd edition, but I don't think it is gamebreaking either way.

Yeah house OTO were unbalanced and don't need the recruit orders. Could use the grouping march order, we do, and also the supply OTO. Or I was thinking of making supply changeable (add to it) via the consolidate* order token, I haven't had the chance to try that idea yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.