GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,612 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: What should i teach next to my GF? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ladies,
my GF is quite hesitant to learn new games, so i would like to get the best chances that the next game is a hit again.
If she chooses one of the games I'll have to offer than we will o fcourse try that. If not i'd like to get your help.

Games we played, before i started to bring new games:

Carcassonne she liked it a lot, but now with expansions and a high level of skill its more of a destructive game, which we both dislike right now.

Settlers of Catan we played a few times 3way, but we are both aware that there's not much strategy behind it and she never asked for it 2ways.

I taught these games in this order to my GF and all plays are 2p so far:

Puerto Rico was a big hit from the start, but it even gets hotter with more play.

Ora et Labor totally failed with her and partly with me, because it's hard to see how you will score VP at the end

Battle Line (Schotten-Totten to be exactly) was really played a lot, but it didn't stand the test of time.

Tigris and Euphrates was a decent hit, but some 2player games lack interaction.

Tikal was played three way and i think it was quite good, but didn't make too much of an impression on her.

So right now i consider showing these games to her:
1)Agricola
Might get a problem with all this resource stuff which she disliked in Ora. But i am sure it would fit her style once she played it, because its way more straightforward

2)Command and Colors: Ancients (similar to Memoir 44)
Most will say war games and girls doesn't fit, i know...
On the other side, my GF has fun if she can flip out and get her emotions going while playing. The game being on english might offset her.

3)Brass
I feel that this might have the trickiest rules, but perhaps CC:A might seem trickier for her. Brass is probably the game which loses the most by being played by just two.

I have read all 7 pages of the Ladies top 10 and i am aware that Agricola is very well received beyond the girls, too.

Poll
Start with...
Brass
Command and Colors
Agricola
      31 answers
Poll created by recallme

And perhaps give a reason for your choice.
Thx in advance

Edit: I really like the games i have so far. So i am not interested in getting new games right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Oppermann
Germany
Kaiserslautern
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finca totally worked for me and my now ex-gf laugh

(Disclaimer: it wasn´t fincas fault we broke up)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Brass, have you reviewed the two player variant that limits the map and market tiles? We quite like it. I wonder, if like Ora, she would dislike not seeing the connections scored until the end of the canal and rail sections.

Agricola is also good with two. It has the bonus that you could start with the simpler family version.

Commands & Colors - haven't played it, but I'd like to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I also recommend Finca. My husband and I (both gamers) like to teach Finca and Ticket to Ride to our non-gaming friends. Another game that played well with some of our non-gaming friends was Dominion. We used only the base pack of cards. By the end of the third round our friends were really into it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless she has an interesting in the period, I'd probably teach the simpler Battle Cry before Commands & Color Napoleonics/Ancients. Then again, you can try watching Shogun on DVD, having some sake, then playing Samurai Battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
If she is a game of thrones fan then Battles of Westeros might work out.

I´m working on getting my wife to play it (she has started reading the books), but it is a big hit with our 8 year old. Its a step up from memoir but has a more appealing theme (at least for fans of GoT).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola. My wife enjoys it in family style.

Possibly Stone Age.

Also consider that she might enjoy playing 30 to 60 minute long games more than the long games. My wife prefers shorter games in general.

Also, regarding Carcassonne, try playing it again with only 1 or 2 expansions in at once. However, it can be a mean game. Point stealing and tile blocking (intentional or not) can make the game nasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused as to why the people responding are recommending dumbing things down for this woman. She's played games like Puerto Rico, Tigris & Euphrates, and Tikal. She can obviously handle Commands & Colors (as far as the game -- I don't know about the English language issues), since it's really easy to pick up, and definitely the cards in Agricola.

recallme wrote:
Most will say war games and girls doesn't fit, i know...

That's baloney. Listen to the girl that you're with, not what others say girls are like.

recallme wrote:
Edit: I really like the games i have so far. So i am not interested in getting new games right now.

Does she feel the same way? Maybe you should get her more directly involved in picking out games she might like.

As for the Carcassonne expansions making it less fun, take them out! I feel that the game is better without, although I could understand getting tired of playing either way.

Neo42 wrote:
Also consider that she might enjoy playing 30 to 60 minute long games more than the long games. My wife prefers shorter games in general.

Just because your wife prefers shorter games doesn't mean all women do. I personally prefer longer games, and based on the examples, I'd say time isn't as much of a concern to this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've stayed out of this thread because I just didn't want to sound bitchy.

Look, here's the thing: women who play board games are not going to have any more insight into what your girlfriend likes than any other group of boardgamers. Women are not all alike. We do not have a hive mind. Your girlfriend is an individual. She knows better than anybody else what she likes and does not like. ASK HER.

And I'm with Michelle on this: wives, sisters, girlfriends, mothers--it doesn't matter. What "your" woman may like really has very little relevance to what "another man's woman" may like. When that leads to "dumb it down for her" advice, well, let's just say that's going to sound a lot like, "she's female, that's all I need to know, dumb it down."

Whether she's female or not has nothing to do with the question any more than whether or not a male friend you want to get into gaming with you is a guy or not.

She may not be hesitant to learning new games; she may be hesitant to learning *too many* new games at once.

The question you really want to ask is: My friend/girlfriend enjoys playing:

"Carcassonne she liked it a lot, but now with expansions and a high level of skill its more of a destructive game, which we both dislike right now.

Settlers of Catan we played a few times 3way, but we are both aware that there's not much strategy behind it and she never asked for it 2ways.

I taught these games in this order to my GF and all plays are 2p so far:

Puerto Rico was a big hit from the start, but it even gets hotter with more play.

Ora et Labor totally failed with her and partly with me, because it's hard to see how you will score VP at the end

Battle Line (Schotten-Totten to be exactly) was really played a lot, but it didn't stand the test of time.

Tigris and Euphrates was a decent hit, but some 2player games lack interaction.

Tikal was played three way and i think it was quite good, but didn't make too much of an impression on her."

What are some other games like these she might like?

And please post it in the "Recommendations" forum. You'll get much better information that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a little over a year ago that I got my wife into gaming. I'll provide to you the progression of games I've introduced my wife to from start to current day to see if you might get some ideas...

Her first boardgame April 2011, "Lost Cities: The Board Game". Then came "Ticket to Ride USA". From there, we jumped to "10 Days in Asia"...
Carcassonne - Hunters and Gatherers
Jaipur
Hive
SmallWorld
Finca
Stone Age
Egizia
Carson City
Airlines Europe
Show Manager
Lords of Vegas
Wiz War
Grand Cru
Lords of Waterdeep
Caylus
Vinhos
and now....DOMINANT SPECIES

It took a year to get her there, but she's found a love for board gaming and most of all worker placement. She's proclaimed that her favorite "Euro game" as she calls them meeple Hope this sparks an idea or two.

As a side note, we were playing Caylus this past Saturday and she told me that she was glad I taught her games like Stone Age, Carson City and Lords of Waterdeep before introducing her to Caylus. She said it would have turned her off to gaming had I started with that one (Caylus is her favorite game with Lords of Waterdeep a close second).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a novel thought... how about limiting one's answer to the three games the OP listed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest teaching her the butterfly position.

Seriously though, it is possible all 3 of the games you picked may be too involved but I would predict Agricola to be most likely a hit.

However, since she liked Carcassonne, I can't help but think she would love Glen More. Its a tile laying game where the tiles actually generate resources. Watch the "Reviews Without Pants" video review of it. Its a very inexpensive game and I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She enjoyed her first two games of Agricola a lot. Now hopefully we will include the cards.

Zhx for your help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.