GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,017 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Super Dungeon Explore» Forums » General

Subject: My experience as a first time painter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically this post is about my experience buying and painting SDE as someone who hasn’t painted in over a decade, and was never great at it. If someone is on the fence about this game because you are worried about painting, maybe this can help you make a decision. You can skip to the pics if you don’t care about the details

So I’m at Orgins for the first time ever this year after getting flyers on it since my days of M:tg in the mid 90s and I’m having a blast. My friends and I played some various demos that were enjoyable, but not amazing, so we continued working our way down the first isle. As we approach the end of the isle we come up the soda pop minis booth and we’re immediately drawn in by the sweet looking minis and the custom created board out front.

We jump into a demo and even though we are getting our collective butts handed to us, we’re loving it. All of us are around 31 years old and we just grew up on this stuff. Gauntlet, Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, this was right in our wheel house. I knew it wasn’t going to be a cheap game, so I ask how much and I’m told $100. (Even more than I expected)

So I ask about the minis, “Do they come painted?” of course the answer was no, “John painted these for us and did the custom board, the guy is amazing.” This added more strikes against me making this purchase. I hadn’t painted anything in a decade and I had just bought Mage Knight a couple months before, and I had planned on buying King of Tokyo at Origins, so my gaming budget wallet was exactly over flowing.

It was more the painting than the price that was holding me back, so we walked around some more, I bought King of Tokyo, went to lunch, and we came back. I got some painting tips from the guys in the booth, and said “alright, how hard can it be. I’ll take one.”

So I watched some youtube clips on painting minis, and I began researching games workshop’s site, and I’m over whelmed. The prices, and nearly 150 colors are daunting. So I go to the soda pop minis site and start asking questions about how to get started. I got some great advice about getting cheaper paints at Walmart, techniques, brushes, etc. So I went out, bought some of the Walmart paints (stay away from gloss, metallic, and purple!) and supplemented them with games workshop shades, glazes, a few colors, and a few dry paints. All in all, I spent about $60 on a brush, super glue, primer, paints and clear coat to get started.

Here are my results so far. I know they aren’t professional grade by any means, but I like them, and they look good on the table top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad at all!!! And you got a Candy and Cola mini grrrr!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree, they look fine. And C&C is a plus. How much time did it take you to paint those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, how long did that take you and did you seal it?
gloss coat or matte?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Id say damn good job.
I too have not painted in a decade or so.
Im practicing on my roborally bots to get back to snuff.
And yes, CnC is sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the compliments!

I was lucky enough to get Candy and Cola at Origins, I guess its the reward for paying full retail gulp

Guess I should have commented on the times. When I'm painting I'm half painting and half watching TV, so I havent really been keeping track or trying to rush through it.

I've been painting the kobolds and dragon whleps in batches (painting all gougers at once, whelps at once, etc)so its going quicker, maybe 15 minutes each. I would guess its taking me an average of an hour or so per hero and Rex as I'm spend more time on them because I like the minis more and there are more details on them.

I have not sealed them yet. I didn't want to do so until I was done and was sure i didn't want to make any changes. I plan on doing a gloss coat and then a matte coat, I've read that works best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Good work!
snowren24 wrote:
I plan on doing a gloss coat and then a matte coat, I've read that works best.

Concerning this. As I hope to start painting my figures soon, I was reading up on the Vallejo paints sites about their model paints and I noticed this on their FAQ.

Vallejo FAQ wrote:
Varnishes

10.2. I find the matte varnish dulls the color too much, and the satin varnish is too shiny. Should I apply one over the other?

No, because the varnish you apply on top will predominate. We would suggest you mix the matte and shiny varnish and apply on a test surface until you achieve the desired effect.

Obviously it would be worth testing beforehand depending what paints and varnishes you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
Good work!
snowren24 wrote:
I plan on doing a gloss coat and then a matte coat, I've read that works best.

Concerning this. As I hope to start painting my figures soon, I was reading up on the Vallejo paints sites about their model paints and I noticed this on their FAQ.

Vallejo FAQ wrote:
Varnishes

10.2. I find the matte varnish dulls the color too much, and the satin varnish is too shiny. Should I apply one over the other?

No, because the varnish you apply on top will predominate. We would suggest you mix the matte and shiny varnish and apply on a test surface until you achieve the desired effect.

Obviously it would be worth testing beforehand depending what paints and varnishes you have.

I use Vallejo's varnishes and find the matte one a bit glossy (I, too, apply two coats, matte over gloss). I really like (very) matte finish, so I use a thin coat of Vallejo's Matte Medium (which does not offer any kind of protection, so I just reapply if it gets damaged). If you plan un using metallic paints, apply after the varnish or they'll look bad (if you varnish the metallic paint, you can try drybrushing a bit more to regain the effect); I've found that they resist normal use quite well on their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say pretty damn good work. If I thought I could do that good of a job for $60. I'd pounce!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game's minis are so good looking and tempting to paint that I keep wanting it just for that.

Very good job, all the more so for a first try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to test out the different coatings I guess. I really don't want to lose any color, but I don't want them to look super glossy either.

Desferous wrote:
I'd say pretty damn good work. If I thought I could do that good of a job for $60. I'd pounce!

It can definitely be done with some planning. I started at $60, but Ive picked up some more here and there. I got the basic color spectrum in the Walmart paints that are $.50 each and that totally saved my budget. the $2 paints I got there are a little better, but not a ton. I do really like the red and blue in the $2 paints though.

The higher end actual miniature painting paints are great for the specialty paints like shades (washes) and glazes, and those off colors like flesh tones and metallics.

As far as ability goes, it just takes patience and a little research on techniques. I hadn't painted in over 10 years before doing these, and even back then my work total was limited to 10 minis or less. I only went into this project with the knowledge of washes and dry brushing. both of which are very basic.

One other thing is that I had to not let myself be a perfectionist or else I would still be doing the first mini I painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive used a layer of testors gloss coat followed by dullcote to good results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One other thing is that I had to not let myself be a perfectionist or else I would still be doing the first mini I painted.

that's my prob when I do any painting on my heroquest figures I plan to finish someday ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got me set completed. There are a few things here and there I don't love, but overall I'm very happy with it. I feel like my results are better than I would have expected from pre painted minis based on other games. I enjoyed the process as well. I cant wait for the expansions so i have more to paint and play with.

Now time for some pics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love the look of this game
just makes me want to buy and play it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.