GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,184 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Fortress America» Forums » Rules

Subject: Movement clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Lawrence
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played one game so far and the most confusing part of the rules for this game are the movement rules. Below is what I think are the correct rules. Hopefully this summary is correct.

There are essentially two movement phases in each turn. The initial Maneuvers movement and the final Invasion movement. "Maneuvers" and "Invasion" are not necessarily descriptive of what happens during these phases, so I will add "Initial" and "Final" to clarify what is going on.

In the initial maneuvers movement phase, all units can move except for infantry and partisans. Mechanical Units move 1, helicopters move 2, and bombers move 4. Infantry and partisans can move if they're carried by a mobile unit. At the end of the initial maneuvers movement phase, all units must be in a friendly territory with the following two exceptions
1. Bombers can end in an enemy territory with a battle marker on it.
2. Helicopters can end in an unoccupied non-city territory. This is called "scouting", and the helicopter is not allowed to move or attack for the rest of the turn.

In the final invasion movement phase, all units can move the same number of territories as above, but the infantry and partisans can move 1 all on their own. At the end of the final invasion movement phase, all units must be in a friendly territory, or an empty enemy territory with a battle marker.

So, that means that over the course of your turn, a bomber can move 8 spaces, 4 in the initial maneuvers phase and 4 in the final invasion phase.

The scouting ability of the helicopter can be especially useful in the west, where there are a lot of empty territories. It doesn't help much this turn, but it means that next turn that territory will be friendly and a mechanical unit can move into it during the initial maneuver phase and prepare for an attack.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The movement rules have always been confusing. Sadly, I think they did a much better job of explaining them in this edition than MB did in the 1st.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Berry
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Having not seen any post refute this description, can I assume this is the correct interpretation of the movement rules?

Played the game for the 1st time the other day and the nature of the Invasion movement phase caused the most discussion, and change of mind of how it should be implemented.

So to ask my own clarification question, during the invasion phase, is it correct to say that ALL units, no matter if they were involved in a battle for a territory or not can move?

This would then allow reinforcement units from the invasion zones to quickly reach the front lines if they were allowed two movements per turn. Or conversely allow the US to reposition their defensive forces from the start game setup. It would also allow the mobile units to transport an infantry during the maneuvers phase then go back during the invasion phase ready to transfer another infantry on the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaldvelski wrote:
Played the game for the 1st time the other day and the nature of the Invasion movement phase caused the most discussion, and change of mind of how it should be implemented.

So to ask my own clarification question, during the invasion phase, is it correct to say that ALL units, no matter if they were involved in a battle for a territory or not can move?

Yes, all units may invasion move up their invasion movement allowance as allowed per the invasion movement rules, regardless of whether or not they participated in combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it also correct to say that ALL units (capable of manoeuvre movement) can only move in the manoeuvre phase if they are moving into a combat position?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
Is it also correct to say that ALL units (capable of manoeuvre movement) can only move in the manoeuvre phase if they are moving into a combat position?

No, this is not correct. Maneuver movement is restricted to friendly territories only (except for helicopters and bombers using their special abilities) but otherwise has no other restrictions. The requirement for units to be in combat position is completely separate, though the understanding is that in some cases the player will be required to use maneuver movement to make sure they have units in combat position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
Yugblad wrote:

No, this is not correct. Maneuver movement is restricted to friendly territories only (except for helicopters and bombers using their special abilities) but otherwise has no other restrictions. The requirement for units to be in combat position is completely separate, though the understanding is that in some cases the player will be required to use maneuver movement to make sure they have units in combat position.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Berry
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just looking this up now and have found 3 separate posts on this.
Just wanted to say thanks for the clarification. Wish they would have used better/more examples and better wording.
And it frightens me that someone said the 1st Ed rules were more confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dalton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up the FFG:FA and wanted to say thanks, your clarification on movement was a godsend!

On the off hand, I'm floored by how terrible the game's rulebook is. It seems unnecessarily overcomplicated, and even after reading certain sections, I still had a difficult time understanding how movement worked.

This rulebook is in desperate need of an FAQ/complete revision. Judging by how low the game is currently selling for online and basically no FAQ support from FFG in two years I don't think either of those things will be happening any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Milster
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
I read through all the responses and this clarification wasn't mentioned. Helicopters can only scout territories that have a battle marker in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
ScottPM wrote:
I read through all the responses and this clarification wasn't mentioned. Helicopters can only scout territories that have a battle marker in them.

I don't understand the scouting ability. Prep what I've read, it's useful to cut off retreats. Which is great. But not at all what "scouting" is all about. Is there some other use that I'm missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.