GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,304 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » BoardGameGeek Community

Subject: Board Gamer by Type rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vengeful Tom - The Vengeful Tom is a player whose sole strategy is to enact vengeance on anyone who has wronged him, often the Vengeful Tom will go out of his way and perhaps give up the best play for one that satisfies his bloodlust. A Vengeful Tom with a black heart and good memory makes a dangerous addition to your regular group as he could strike at any time.

Analyst - The Analyst is a player who scours the board every turn for the optimal move, often making the game last much longer than the playing time listed on the box. The Analyst often has good results at the table but sometimes at the expense of everyone else’s enjoyment of the game.

Rules Master - The Rules Master knows all the rules to each game regularly played within the group and is often in charge of teaching the game to new players. The Rules Master is the go to player at the table for any rulings that may need to be made as the game progresses. He typically is the group member that scours the BGG rules forum for clarification on hazy rules questions that occur during gameplay. A group with a really proficient Rules Master will have little question about gameplay.

Engineer - The Engineer is the group member that is always ready to tweak the official rules so that the game might better meet the needs of the group. Many of the Engineers suggestions might see a trial or two, but are often discarded in subsequent plays. However, every so often the Engineer gets it right and a house rule will stick for the life of the game within that group. An Engineer is an important member of any gaming group.

Ninja - The Ninja is quiet but extremely deadly and often finds himself at top or near the top at games end. The Ninja’s success mostly comes from the fact that many players miss how well he is doing until it is too late. A true Ninja can also be on the offensive against a Vengeful Tom and be forgotten about before his turn. Unfortunately, a game that uses a visible scoring track often reduces the Ninja to an Average Joe.

Banker - The Banker is the player who is often tasked with the fiddly aspect of the tabled game. This is typically the choice of the Banker as believe it or not, he likes (or at least tolerates) the position. Every game group is in need of a good Banker.

What are you?
Feel free to add something as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunder Head: no one knows why he's invited to play, other than he owns all the best games. That, and he picks up after himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

I am definitely the Banker! I am famous for it - one gaming friend regularly mentions a game of Amun-Re I played when I first knew him - where I stretched the length of the table to give him the farmers and blocks he was buying - the stockpile was right next to him!!

I am also the Rules Master, as that job kind of goes with it. Obsessive-control-freak? Yep!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sa266 wrote:
I am definitely the Banker! I am famous for it - one gaming friend regularly mentions a game of Amun-Re I played when I first knew him - where I stretched the length of the table to give him the farmers and blocks he was buying - the stockpile was right next to him!!

I am also the Rules Master, as that job kind of goes with it. Obsessive-control-freak? Yep!!!

I don't understand what makes Banker/Rule Masters tick, but I sure love playing with them. It's the next best thing to computer-assisted gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm not a Vengeful Tom, but sometimes instead of every action I take in a game being what benefits me most, I'll choose to concentrate on taking actions that hurt everyone else at the table. Sometimes I'll win by default, but more often than not, I end up pissing people off. That's not my intent, but I like to think that my play opens up people's minds to aspects about many games they might otherwise overlook.

Now games that people play with me are often quite a bit more contentious and cutthroat. I like it. Games have become something more than just multiplayer solitaire. Sure, I've upset some people along the way, but what can I say? Some men just want to watch the world burn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to be the Rules Master and the Banker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a banker/ninja

but my group knows the ninja part by now so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan "DP" Pepin
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Check out Miniature Central!
badge
www.miniaturecentral.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple more roles for your consideration:

The Peacemaker - the guy who, when a discrepancy in rules or outcome surfaces, makes the case that both parties were actually correct in certain ways. Sometimes he even takes blame for the situation even if he had nothing to do with it. Probably too nice to game competitively.

The Secret Agent - the guy who appears docile on the outside, often laughing, sometimes asking questions, talking other players, and pretending to be a bit of a dunce as part of his strategy to seem like he isn't paying attention to the game and isn't a big threat. It's the active side of the Ninja.

Are any of these players out there? It's ok, admit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan R
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm an incurable Engineer blush
I'm always looking to bend the rules, even if it hurts my chances at winning. But I think it has to do with my Analyst streak. I'd rather see the game min-maxed than claim the victory.
Also, I've trained myself to suppress my Analyst desires since I just don't have enough patient gamer friends.. snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would consider myself the "Bad at the Game" type of player. Every group needs someone who just doesn't win. Unless they're playing Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.