GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,332 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Reviews

Subject: quick review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About me: I'm a Lovecraft fan and I own Arkham Horror, Mansions of Madness, and similarly themed games.

OVERVIEW: Pretty well covered by the other reviewers here. On your turn you pick an Adventure card to go to and roll a bunch of dice to try to complete the card.

PROS:
1. Many people are calling this "Arkham Horror Light" and as a PRO of this game I'd say it delivers on the theme. The flavor text on the cards is entertaining and the art is top-notch. The components are great, like all Fantasy Flight games.
2. You can play this game in about an hour, unless you have a lot of players (more than 4)
3. The rules are super-easy to learn and you can be playing this game in about 20 minutes.
4. The game is fun, but I don't know how replayable it is.
5. Very portable and takes less space to play than a lot of games.

CONS:
1. It really comes down to a lot of dice rolling and I felt like I was playing Yahtzee. In games like Arkahm Horror you have a lot more decisions to make that I feel affect the game, and yes there is still dice-rolling, but I have a greater sense that my choices affect my success more than I do in this game.
2. I kinda like having the same characters from Arkham Horror and Mansions of Madness, but after a while I wonder if they're just recycling them to save money. How about some new characters and new art???

I do have to admit there's a trade off -- you get less depth than Arkham Horror, but you can play it in 1/3 the time, with 1/3 the space and 1/10th the amount of little plastic baggies. Werd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:

1. It really comes down to a lot of dice rolling and I felt like I was playing Yahtzee. In games like Arkahm Horror you have a lot more decisions to make that I feel affect the game, and yes there is still dice-rolling, but I have a greater sense that my choices affect my success more than I do in this game.

Bingo, my thoughts exactly, that and cooperative play is very low, i.e. you can decide to try an adventure card and if you fail someone can focus a die on you if they then pick the card you are sitting on. Can't trade items between investigators, most of the items are all the same aka add/mod a die.

One reviewer descripted playing this game very well, it has the feel of playing a slot machine. I find slots as boring as it gets. Before reading that my take was it was like a multi-multi-die crap game where you can freeze a die/dices and roll again. I traded this game off for a mint Shadows over Camelot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a hard time even considering this a game. All you do is roll dice and hope for the best. It's Yahtzee--and I mean that in the worst way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.