GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,916 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Foundations of Stone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Puzzled by joining together rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just received my copy of foundations of stone and have been reading through the rules sheet. I'm slightly puzzled by the explanation of joining together again.

During stage 4 everybody has their own staging area and quest card and are effectively playing their own solo game. Fine so far.

Then, "After the [last] progress token is placed on X join another player at the beginning of the travel phase" where "join another player" means you merge the staging areas and go back to playing normally, so in a two player game and both players place their last progress token on the same round both 4Bs would be complete, 5A would be revealed for both of them and in the travel phase they go back to a normal two player game. Excellent, nice and straight forward. No problems.

Actually, problem. Player one places his last progress token on 4B and moves on to stage 5, player two is still several tokens behind. The card states "if you cannot join another player, all players continue on to stage 5 together".

Okay that implies to me that player two ignores the rest of his 4B card and is now helping player one one stage 5. Do they still have separate staging areas now until the end of the game? Player one quests against his staging area, and player two quests against his, both independently putting progress tokens onto the same card.

If there were three or four players you could have just two of them combined and the other(s) working on their own, and theoretically the player lagging behind on stage 4 could be the one that completes stage 5 even though they never actually joined up with the others.

is my understanding correct, or am I missing something here? I guess the trick is for all players to try and pace themselves such that everybody finishes 4B at the same time and all join together, unless the separate staging areas work better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Elias
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
"Joining" allows a player who finishes their 4B stage to joing another player who is still on their 4B stage. Everyone has to get through their 4B before you can move on to 5.
"if you cannot join another player," means everyone is done with 4B so you would go onto 5. It doesn't make sense for someone to get to skip their 4B stage for free.
That's my understanding anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Benson
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh that makes sense! I was thinking join was a two way thing where you could only join somebody if they were also in a position to join. If it's a one way thing where you can join any player it makes more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Dobranic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have question about joining. In 4 player game, if 1 player finishes his 4B, which player does he join? Does he join player by his choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.