GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,705 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Ever try to make your own arcade cabinet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
I have an old pc, an old LCD, and some speakers, so why not make a slim arcade cabinet? I'm thinking something simple like this.

Has anyone on BGG ever attempted this before? I figure this might make a fun project for the summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've thought about it before. My roommate has a small spare PC with MAME on it and all those old arcade games. Lack of space has kept us from trying it. The screen is the only thing that I can see as maybe being an issue. You'd have to get a sheet of plexiglass to go over it like in the arcade.

Also, if you do decide to to this, then I would recommend going with Japanese arcade parts for the sticks and buttons instead of American parts. The Japanese sticks tend to offer finer control and better tactile feedback in my opinion. Just a personal preference.

Edit: Oh, and if you do decide to go through with the project make sure to photo-document it. I want pics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also, if you do decide to to this, then I would recommend going with Japanese arcade parts for the sticks and buttons instead of American parts. The Japanese sticks tend to offer finer control and better tactile feedback in my opinion. Just a personal preference.

Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Oh, and if you do decide to go through with the project make sure to photo-document it. I want pics!

I can do that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
Lack of space has kept us from trying it.

Yeah, space is an issue with me too. I also want to make it as lightweight as possible. Well, I could always do a bar top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on my way to doing this a while back, I have joysticks, a slew of buttons, a miniPac, a trackball...just never got around to putting it all together. I did finally buy more wire, connectors, etc, so I can get it done this summer. According to the receipt in the box with the joysticks, I've only been procrastinating since 2002. shake

So given that...I've been thinking about picking up a pair of rotary joysticks so I can play my beloved Heavy Barrel again. Might even get them hooked up before the youngest one is old enough to drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can eat burritos, I cannot make cabinets.

You have to know your personal limits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done it. It's not that hard, hardware-wise. The software configuration can be a bit tricky, but things have probably progressed a great deal since I built mine.

I've been meaning to dig up my old parts and build a slim LCD version.

www.arcadecontrols.com is the BGG of arcade cabinet building. Go there and be enlightened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I can eat burritos, I cannot make cabinets.

You have to know your personal limits.

It doesn't have to be so high tech. Here's how you do it:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the electronics for the most part, even went so far as to get some books on putting systems together and did some research on good front end systems for running/selecting the games - what finally stopped me was the control setup... I wanted to play ALL my old favorites, and the tons of games I had on mame, and just couldn't figure out a control board layout that would let me arrange buttons, joysticks, trackballs, etc in an orderly fashion and still play all the different games accurately. (Some required double joysticks, some 8 way joysticks, etc etc)

I started working around the issue, but then ran into similar issues - space, and the lack of money to do it the way I really wanted to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's the hard part. Picking which games you'll run on your cab, and making a Control Panel (CP) that'll accommodate that. In the end, I went with two sticks with 6 buttons next to each (aka, the Street Fighter layout). That let me run most of the old classics, and really only locked me out of trackball/spinner games (though I did leave enough space in the middle of the CP to put a trackball in later). Games with two joysticks became stick & WASD (Middle button of top row and bottom row of buttons)

People have done some insane things to get more CP layouts. I've seen cabinets with a rotating three CP feature, I've seen "Frankencabs" that have every layout known to man and are the size of small desks. In the end, you've got to decide what games are must-haves for you and go from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you might be better off just buying an empty cabinet.
usually they're pretty cheap.

i have an original centipede machine, and a konami multicade.
im thinking about turning the latter into a mame multicade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmbmb
peloquin17 wrote:

I couldn't find any cheap bar top cabinets. Besides, it will be a fun project to build on my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
peloquin17 wrote:

I couldn't find any cheap bar top cabinets. Besides, it will be a fun project to build on my own.

ahh...i thought you meant a regular sized one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
peloquin17 wrote:

Please see my post on the other thread. I have two cabinets I will never use if you want them but someone would have to be willing to come get them. Once upon a time I thought I might do this too but it never panned out. They're in, ahem, garage shape and would need lots of cleaning out. One of them is a full machine that doesn't work and the other is a Space Invaders shell with a broken monitor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.