GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,638 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Here I Stand» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Colorado Springs (and Pueblo) play Here I Stand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is surreal as I write this. This past Saturday a city planner, coffee shop owner, public defender, programmer and something else all got together for everyone’s first game for HIS. The irony is that the two people who encouraged us to play couldn’t make it so it was a group of 5 noobs; we know we were in for a long haul. No offense to euro efficiency games but lately complex CDGs have just been far more rewarding and with a new friend who loves them I’ve been able to branch out and play some longer CDGs I’ve always veered away from. I look forward to a summer of Successors, 1989, Andean Abyss, and Here I Stand.
Literally two of us, Mike and myself, hauled up to Colorado Springs from Pueblo to play downtown in a nice historic home (nowhere near the fire). That was when we first saw the flames on the ridge; it was close but didn’t look like it could ever make it to town. There was apprehension as our hosts family lives on the West Side, but we played on, a fire couldn’t make into urbanized area of a city of 500,000 right? Four of the five us read the rules. I tried the Papacy, Mike the Ottomans, Alex the Protestants and the English, Smilie the Hapsburgs and Eric the French.
I must say the game lives up to the hype and YES THE MOST DIFFICULT PART OF THE GAME IS ORGANIZING IT. A few miscommunications and we lost two key players, and then one was called into work, frustrating as we heard 6 is best (and I agree). Five would have to do.

The Ottomans came out swinging but I was able to hit them with St. Johns two times, and their piracy didn’t come out to the mandatory time, poor guy, Mike was constantly plagued by bad luck. He pressed on to Vienna and Smilie responded. Finally after the main standoff, Smilie played a couple battle cards and defeated the Ottomans sending them reeling. The Protestant advance was slower than normal from what I read, but I stupidly avoided religious wars and conversion after a miserable turn losing debates. I figured getting my keys might be easier and took Florence, and then allied with Genoa. The Haps allied with Venice and with more cards and alliances invaded the Balkans, the Ottoman position looked grim.

Smile opened with a strange deployment of Charles to Belgium to take Mintz (I don't have the map in front of me). He was crushed and captured by the French who then were cut off and obliterated by a great roll by Smilie. It was exciting warfare at its best and hilarious to see two powers lose their leaders on the first turn.

The French and Haps fought a brutal war in the Pyrenees, and the Haps were invaded by England in Holland and it looked pretty grim for Smilie, so he sued for peace with 2 powers to focus on the Ottomans. Meanwhile the Protestants were rolling over Germany and into England. I probably should have reacted but decided I could take Milan instead. That was a mistake, because the English had done great with exploration as well and converted much of their country to Protestantism. I had Copernicus so that helped me edge back up, but the English sailed off to a 25 VP win on turn 4! Nine hours later (after a visit to a local pizza place) we had a real result. Alex played well and nobody bothered him. Turns developed quicker than we had anticipated and we all lamented not going to war with him by the end if turn 4, and I was ashamed I didn’t respond to the religious war more effectively. Poor France was battered but should have launched an attack on England, although I assume he was preparing to invade Italy's "juicy keys" next turn.

The game was a blast. It’s something I NEED to play again ASAP, if weren’t for the fact most of us have small kids and the 8 hours; it would get more play. Even despite the families I think we’ll all be taking some hits from our wives to play this game again soon; it’s that good! I think we all don’t mind taking a hit and flipping our leader token to “damaged-in the dog house” to play HIS again.

Now that little fire was saw slowly turned into one of the worst fires in Colorado history. Pueblo sent crews to fight it and our City Councilman’s relatives lost homes. Springs City Councilmen lost homes. All our Springs gamers friends are staying with friends on the other side of town, and my sister was pre evacuated yesterday. The flames came to within a couple thousand feet of the Air Force Academy, and the President is coming tomorrow. It’s surreal and so sad as Facebook lights up with devastating photos of destroyed houses of people you know. My thoughts and prayers go out to them, and I’m relieved that most of the Springs gaming community appears to made it our unscathed. Everyone here wants to do more, and perhaps the best I can do is host another game of HIS in Pueblo, away from the smoke, and get their minds off of it all. According to the Denver Post today 300 people lost homes, not on the edge of urban sprawl but right in a major city, it’s devastating and I encourage everyone to donate if they can to help rebuilt those communities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Shaw
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could have been there. My plans got cancelled for that Saturday. Had I known you were organizing this I'd have driven down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry! This will get played again. The good news is that we were all hooked even as totally newbies who spent all day on 4 turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As the English Player/ Protestant Player, I definitely had an advantage in bringing protestantism into England. Was lucky to draw smallpox, which let me successfully do a conquest, for 2 VPs, I got Elizibeth that turn for a further 2 VPS, and I gained 3 VPS for having 6 home cities protestant, it was a net gain of 7 VPs in the one, that allowed me to shoot out of the pack and capture the win, almost covertly.

Please Pray for El Paso County and the the fire can be defeated swiftly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Shaw
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan R and Jason are coming over for a three player at my place this Saturday, June 30. If anyone else is free or even just might want to stop by, we will be starting at 3 PM and going until ?????? Just write me here or ask Wade or Dan R for my phone number and I'll give out directions. I'm VERY Glad we finally have a group of players in this area excited to play this great game. I hope eventually to have regular sessions here in the Springs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.