GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,778 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Manhattan Project vs. Troyes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is the 'better' more interesting game? How do they compare in weight?

Just trying to make a decision of which one to get as I can't buy both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Manhattan Project carries more theme than Troyes does, and, from the game ratings you have, that seems important to you. Both use worker placement mechanics in new ways.

I think Troyes is a heavier game than Manhattan Project, is the better game, and has more replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to understand that Troyes is not a worker-placement game. You start the game with an initial WP round, but after that it's almost entirely a dice-manipulation game. So if you want a pure worker-placement game, don't get Troyes. If that's not a big deal to you, definitely get Troyes. It is an outstanding design, and in my top 10 games.

I've never played MP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Troyes many times and find it fantastic - very intense player interaction, tight game play, and about 75-90 minutes for a 4p game once you have it down. Just about a near-perfect Euro, IMO

I've played MP once. I enjoyed it and look forward to playing again. As previously stated, it's more a true WP game, with an interesting take on the mechanism, and it certainly has a ton more theme.

I'd get Troyes based on it's pure greatness, but I'd leave MP on my "really interested in checking out further" list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input.. i have a couple of different worker placement games already so wasn't sure of the real different between Manhattan Proj and Troyes.

Troyes seems to have alot of love for it, so that is why i was interested in it. I think that helps my decision.

How does Troyes stack up against Macao and Castles of Burgundy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lay
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mwdalrymple wrote:
Thanks for the input.. i have a couple of different worker placement games already so wasn't sure of the real different between Manhattan Proj and Troyes.

Troyes seems to have alot of love for it, so that is why i was interested in it. I think that helps my decision.

I own Troyes, Macao and Castles of Burgundy and would say the best out of the three is Castles of Burgundy, then I would go with Troyes and then Macao. But I really love the three of them so you can't go wrong, but I think Castles of Burgundy is the best choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
ianenriquelay wrote:
mwdalrymple wrote:

I own Troyes, Macao and Castles of Burgundy and would say the best out of the three is Castles of Burgundy, then I would go with Troyes and then Macao. But I really love the three of them so you can't go wrong, but I think Castles of Burgundy is the best choice.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mwdalrymple wrote:

I've only played Troyes out of those three. But one thing you might want to consider is how many players you will commonly have while playing it. Castle of Burgundy is widely praised as being best with two players, but not as good with more. Troyes plays equally well with 2, 3, or 4 (IMO). Just a thought.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes when you play it.

Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwdalrymple wrote:

I'll go against the grain of the feedback you've already gotten and say that, IMO, Troyes is almost a perfect Euro, Macao is a whole lotta fun, and CoB is a nice game, but only for 2-3p. I've only played CoB 2p, but I watched people playing 4p at Geekway and it tooooook fooorrrevver.

But I'd probably base your decision on how much you like player interaction. Troyes is absolutely cutthroat, Macao is very interactive, and CoB is only lightly interactive.

Troyes shines with 3p, is excellent with 4p, and is okay with 2p. Macao is going to be the most fun with 4p, though people talk about enjoying it with 2 or 3. CoB is going to be best with 2 or 3, and suffer with 4 if only because of the length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stlkt wrote:
mwdalrymple wrote:

I'll go against the grain of the feedback you've already gotten and say that, IMO, Troyes is almost a perfect Euro, Macao is a whole lotta fun, and CoB is a nice game, but only for 2-3p. I've only played CoB 2p, but I watched people playing 4p at Geekway and it tooooook fooorrrevver.

But I'd probably base your decision on how much you like player interaction. Troyes is absolutely cutthroat, Macao is very interactive, and CoB is only lightly interactive.

Troyes shines with 3p, is excellent with 4p, and is okay with 2p. Macao is going to be the most fun with 4p, though people talk about enjoying it with 2 or 3. CoB is going to be best with 2 or 3, and suffer with 4 if only because of the length.

+1. Except for the part about Troyes being just "okay with 2p". You already know my thoughts there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed FromZardoz
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Have not played troyes so cannot comment on that - but TMP is my current favorite game, hands down. I think if you went with TMP you would not be disappointed.. Great theme, fun mechanics, and a bit of cut-throat action to boot.. good times..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, both are fantastic, and among my favorite games. Troyes is more of a traditional Euro, with a really well done dice as resources mechanic.

Manhattan project injects quite a bit of interaction in the traditional worker placement genre, and add some really interesting twists on WP, with the retrieval mechanism.

Both are outstanding, and you can't go wrong with either. Go with your gut and theme preference; or, do yourself a favor and get both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the great freedback! it has helped!

I think that I need to try Troyes online.

I guess I am looking to fill 'holes' in my collection. Look at my collection and tell me what I should get! lol!

The older I get, the most afraid of heavy rule based games. Its why I like euros so much. Usually very clean rules w/o too many exceptions.

So I guess I am looking at either CoB or Troyes, but leaning towards Troyes.

I had considered Mage Knight as well, but the number of exceptions scares me considering how often I get games to the table.

I would like a good fighty/econ 6 player game, but can't get a copy of Eclipse due to the availability from the store that I am limited to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
mwdalrymple wrote:
Which is the 'better' more interesting game? How do they compare in weight?

Just trying to make a decision of which one to get as I can't buy both.

Troyes is great because it makes use of dice in an innovative way to create a compelling game environment of action combos that does not feel "lucky" at all.

TMP is great because it completely alters some of the standard conventions of worker placement and manages to creates a heavily interactive race to the finish.

I don't know why you can't get both. Ditch that copy of Axis and Allies, and get both of them. But if you really think you can't get both, given your high ratings for worker placement and ameritrash games, I think you'll like TMP a little better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My copy of Troyes hasn't reached the table yet, but we've been playing a ton of TMP lately. All of our games have been tense and close. It just seems well balanced...in a five player game we usually have two to three players that are within a turn or so of winning when the game ends.

Of course isn't it a bit of a moot point? Is it even possible to buy a copy of TMP at the moment? Maybe buy Troyes now and then save up for a reprint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TMP is an amazing game. I love it alot. haven't played troyes though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes, Troyes, a thousand times Troyes!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
Troyes, Troyes, a thousand times Troyes!!

Hey, I recognize that copy of Troyes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
AMartin56 wrote:
Of course isn't it a bit of a moot point? Is it even possible to buy a copy of TMP at the moment? Maybe buy Troyes now and then save up for a reprint?

Yes. Manhattan Project is expected in August.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Troyes very much, but Manhattan Project is a game that I took too right away. Very fun with a great theme and wonderful art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I've been exposed to many different worker-placement games. For the most part, there was no direct interaction between players. It was all indirect blocking. The Manhattan Project has alot of direct interaction. You can directly attack your opponents' production engine and you can use espionage to utilize his engine. You can even create formal cooperative alliances in the game in order to slow down another player. And the best part of all, it's all highly thematic. There's no "person with the most abstract victory points wins". The first person to build their bombs wins.
TMP also has a great take on the WP mechanism with the worker retrieval action. This makes timing your placements a very important consideration.

I played Troyes.

I bought The Manhattan Project.

btw, it's in stock at http://germangames.com/game.asp?gameID=3035 , in case you decide you want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, I am limited to meeplemart currently as I have a gift certificate there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.