GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,865 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Matt Sanderson
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've painted a little, but I'm still learning, and I've never painted figures that didn't have their bases already attached. In Sedition Wars, I understand the figures will ship not attached to their bases. Is it best to attach them, then paint them, or paint them separately, and then attach them?

I am sure there will be A LOT of questions on this forum about painting once the game ships! So I might as well get it started now.

Oh, and here's another one: what's a good technique for creating realistic looking metal? Sedition Wars features lots of shiny guns, something I haven't done much of just yet. Is it just create layers, brighter on top of darker, and dry brush?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
dystopialand wrote:
Is it best to attach them, then paint them, or paint them separately, and then attach them?

This depends on the bases themselves. Usually attached is OK

dystopialand wrote:
Is it just create layers, brighter on top of darker, and dry brush?

Paint guns black, then drybrush in progressively lighter metallics or desired colors, then pick out any scopes or such if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Niemann
Germany
Hagen a.T.W.
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
www.spielträumer.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or paint the guns with boltgun metal, and wash them with badab black, maybe even twice, re-highlighting them with chainmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel666 wrote:
Or paint the guns with boltgun metal, and wash them with badab black, maybe even twice, re-highlighting them with chainmail.

This. If you're still learning, washes are your friends (not only for metal). Basecoat, wash, drybrush. You'll gain confidence soon and will use them less and less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost always paint my figures and bases seperate, and then pin them together after... Sometimes getting to the underside of figures is impossible with bases attached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scipio azazel
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
It also depends on how you want your guns to look. Modern (2012) weapons are generally black, tan, green, etc - so you really can do what you like with these ones. You could easily find a med-dark grey for them and simply give them a wash of black for a sleek modern look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.