GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Kickstarter - Project Owner and Backing Projects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i have backed about six KickStarter projects (three boardgames)and continue to peruse the site on a weekly basis. Now there have always been silly projects, obvious cash grabs, and some that on looking through the project once just do not seem right.

Recently though I have come across some project (that I will not mention - not all are boardgames) but I genuinely thought they were good projects BUT they do not seem to be asking for enough money to fulfill the project enacting red flags.

As an additional variable for me to make my decision I decided that if the project owner has backed another KickStarter project then I'll back their project.

So at a glance here is what I found about the projects that I was looking at: Of the projects that I backed only one project owner has not backed any Kickstarter projects (that one had a lot of buzz and contributions); of the projects that are obvious cash grabs etc... NO project owner has backed another Kickstarter project.

So the question is - is this a meaningful variable to determine if a project is valid or not?

(Note: obvious that this is not done using sanctioned scientific methods )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkTori wrote:
As an additional variable for me to make my decision I decided that if the project owner has backed another KickStarter project then I'll back their project.

So at a glance here is what I found about the projects that I was looking at: Of the projects that I backed only one project owner has not backed any Kickstarter projects (that one had a lot of buzz and contributions); of the projects that are obvious cash grabs etc... NO project owner has backed another Kickstarter project.

Well, I know at least a couple of people who put up their Kickstarter projects using their company account and back projects using their personal account. Just because someone hasn't backed anything doesn't mean they don't back other projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about that too - but I backed Alien Frontiers and saw that Clever Mojo Games has backed almost 100 projects. Most of the "questionable" projects do not have a company account.

Should companies go the Clever Mojo route - I think so. From a marketing perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkTori wrote:
Most of the "questionable" projects do not have a company account.

True.

Quote:
Should companies go the Clever Mojo route - I think so. From a marketing perspective.

It's an interesting idea - dedicating part of their "marketing" budget to back other projects. But I still don't have any less respect for a company that chooses not to conflate personal and business funds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkTori wrote:
I thought about that too - but I backed Alien Frontiers and saw that Clever Mojo Games has backed almost 100 projects. Most of the "questionable" projects do not have a company account.

I know opinions will vary widely (seems like an ubiquitous thing with kickstarter whistle), but I've actually felt almost the reverse.

If I see a project is asking for $40k to get published, and then I see that the project poster has put a bunch of money into other currently running projects, I question why they're asking me for money that they apparently have and are spending freely themselves. I see it as something that is excellent if they're supporting those projects when they aren't currently running ones of their own, as that, to me, indicates a supportive community ethic. But to be giving out money, personal or business funds, when you're asking for money to get your own project funded, strikes me as incomprehensible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.