GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
20 Days Left
Here are the final positions after I called a replay of the first scenaro at the end of the Fall 42 turn.
The Japanese are well behind. They had only just captured Singapore (third attempt); however the Army had been relentlessly pushing the Chinese back and two corps are poised to attack Rangoon. The Dutch East Indies has been partially overrun and, although the Navy position in the South Pacific looks strong, Port Moresby has also been a tough nut to crack. Three attempts and the last amphibious attack resulted in an EX that left the base still in UN control.
This should allow the US to sneak a corps back into Port Moresby but TF17 is very weak after its running battles with the Japanese support and amphibious task forces. The British delaying action in Malaya has allowed them to build up a sizable defence in Burma. The KMT are retreating but Mao's CCP made an opportunistic attack that regained Peking.
Enjoyable stuff and I'll probably crack it out again after a Napoleonic interlude (200th anniversary of 1812 an' all).
* Chess like nature of the arms combinations with land, air and naval force structuring needing careful attention.
* Primacy of planning. With only 4 turns each year you need to be very clear on what the goals are for that season and, in fact for the next season, as the end of turn activities involving getting your forces into position.
* The need to understand supply effects as they will drive your planning such as the importance of ports; how rough terrain blocks supply and the need to keep some naval units in a shallow sea area for sea supply.
* The way economics puts a brake on doing everything...you can sometimes be hard pushed just to replace and redeploy the casualties for the turn.
NOT SO GOOD
* Still not sure on how the combat sequencing should play out especially during the Reaction Phase (see earlier posting)
* The binary nature of the combat system which seems a bit "all OK or all dead" rather than the attritional systems I normally come across in PTO games.