GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,184 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Lords of Waterdeep» Forums » General

Subject: Agricola vs. Lords of Waterdeep rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T McC
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this on the Agricola forums and wanted to cross-post here, just to gauge the potential differences in response...

Trying to decide whether I should buy Agricola or LoD. I feel there are pros and cons to both (Agricola: deeper strategy / LoD: cooler theme, not to mention cheaper). While I personally feel like Agricola might be deeper overall, the biggest factor in deciding is less about me and more about which will be most enjoyed by my gaming group (some of whom are not as geek-tastic as myself). Can any players of both games comment on which one delivers the most exciting, interactive, competitive, I-wanna-play-that-again-immediately experience overall?

If it helps, here's a list of my group's regular jams:

-Settlers of Catan
-Risk Legacy
-Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
thinman13 wrote:
If it helps, here's a list of my group's regular jams:
-Settlers of Catan
-Risk Legacy
-Dominion

Based on the games in your list, I'd recommend Lords of Waterdeep (and this is coming from a guy who has an Agricola microbadge and a Lords of Waterdeep microbadge).

Why?

It's going to get to the table more often as it's simple to teach, quick to play, and fun. I can pretty much guarantee that the people you play the above games with will like Lords of Waterdeep.

Agricola is a fantastic game and in my top 10, but it's harder to teach, longer to play, and requires a series of games to fully appreciate how fantastic of a game it is. Lords of Waterdeep on the other hand is pretty much an immediate hit.

My real recommendation is to get them both as they are both excellent games, but I would strongly encourage you to get Lords of Waterdeep first as I think your gaming group will enjoy it more and it very well may lead to Agricola as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both games. Based on the limited information you provided, I would say your group would like LoW better. Agricola can be unforgiving, especially for new players. You have to understand the development arc of the game to make the right moves at the right time. LoW is much more forgiving for new players, in that you can always grab any available quest, get your needed resources from multiple places, and continuously score points. Obviously, the player who is the most efficient and completes more quests that his Lord requires will likely score better. I just feel the ability for all players to have a good first experience with LoW is much higher than Agricola.

I would use LoW as an introduction to worker placement games. If that style of game proves to be a hit, then consider progressing to something more involved, like Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thinman13 wrote:
I posted this on the Agricola forums and wanted to cross-post here, just to gauge the potential differences in response...

As a new user, you may be interested to learn that there is a Recommendations Forum where you can ask for such comparisons without cross-posting, and expect a balanced response.

P.S. say hey to Nora for me - love her to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T McC
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orwell - Thanks for the heads up on the Recommendations Forum, didn't know about that.

I'll tell Nora hi for you, she's out walking Asta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick,

I have both games & both are great & very different.
Worker Placement is probably my favourite game mechanic & I own several such games.

Lords of Waterdeep is a very accessible game & it doesn't outstay its welcome. In LoW there are a handful of things to do (take a quest, complete a quest, obtain adventurers & money, build a building, play an Intrigue card) & that can be a good thing for new players & also, if you're after a relaxed gaming experience at the end of a busy day.

Agricola is certainly the deeper of the two. Agricola has quite a number of things that all need to be balanced. You need to ensure that you are building all elements of you farm or you will score negative points at the end of the game. You have house building, procuration, feeding your hordes, sowing & reaping, raising animals, playing improvement cards & worker cards. Agricola is fun, but its not the game to get on the table after a heavy day at work.

As I've said, I own both & am glad to have them in my gaming stable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sugden
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I own and respect both, but my preference is LoW.

It is not as 'deep' of a game, but there is a lot of variance in it that makes different sessions feel very different. I've played 50+ games and still enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Green
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Both are great games. I probably enjoy Agricola slightly more if I have the time to play a game. But looking at the games that your group is used to playing, I'd definitely recommend Waterdeep. Agricola is quite a large leap in complexity for people used to playing Settlers and Dominion (I know because those are probably the two favorite games of people I play games with).

I haven't even considered teaching them Agricola, because I think it would be quite a stretch for my friends. Waterdeep was easy to introduce, though, and they enjoyed it.

So unless they all realize they're ready to step up the complexity level and they're committed to jump in with both feet, I'd definitely recommend Waterdeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The game you want at this time is Lords of Waterdeep. It will make it to the table a lot more often and has a much easier chance of being well-received by your gaming group (as you described them).

LoW plays in about an hour, and is relatively easy to learn. Agricola is about 2-3 hours and really slogs along with ~5 players. LoW is also about half of the price, so it's much less sting if it's a flop. It also makes excellent training for Agricola.

All that said, Agricola is a better, deeper game which will reward you with interesting plays for years to come. I recommend you try it out someday, but right now the game you want is Lords of Waterdeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that really attracted me to LoW was the phrase 'easy to learn and teach' - since I am always the one explaining the rules to my friends and family this was a big deal to me. I don't usually play with hard-core geek friends, so even LoW is kind of a stretch sometimes. Still I find I can usually communicate the basics without a lot of eye-rolling or -glazing. And as I've commented before, even the most impatient game-rule-learner quickly turns cut-throat by turn 3 of LoW, which shows that the goals and concepts are very easy to pick up. I actually like teaching this game to new players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T McC
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice. I ended up getting LoW, both because it seemed like that was the right introductory move, and also because, by a combination of a sale and a gift card, I was able to get LoW for only 15 bucks (as opposed to Agricola for $50+). Have only had about three games of it so far with three players (haven't had a chance to get the whole crew in, our Risk: Legacy slugfest is still ongoing) and while there have been some minor quibbles about certain rules/quest cards, everyone seems into it. Assuming they keep digging the mechanic, I think I'll definitely check out Agricola a littler further down the line. In the meantime, I'll catch you at the Plinth...

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.