GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,891 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Super Dungeon Explore» Forums » Rules

Subject: What the *&^% is Heal X? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Nunes
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second game, and I'm super frustrated. What does Heal X mean/used for? And, how do you get rid of Status Effects other that potions? Thanks in advance everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heal X does exactly what it says! (I'll elaborate )

Basically it means that you can heal any combination of X wounds or status effects. So with Heal 3 you could remove for example 2 wound counters and a poison counter.

Anytime one of your heroes gives a wound, for every heart that was rolled on the dice you can remove one wound or status counter (again in any combination) from any hero.

Remember each hero has different potions and they have different effects as stated on the hero card!

Edit: Added the bit about the different potions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nunes
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Just to make sure I got it...

Barbarian is suffering from fire and has 1 wound. She attacks a flinger with 3 blue dice. Rolls 2 stars and 2 hearts. Therefore, the Barbarian heals 1 wound and removes the fire status. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onibaku06 wrote:
Awesome. Just to make sure I got it...

Barbarian is suffering from fire and has 1 wound. She attacks a flinger with 3 blue dice. Rolls 2 stars and 2 hearts. Therefore, the Barbarian heals 1 wound and removes the fire status. Right?

That's it!

(Well, except for the part that the Barbarian has 2 red dice for attack, but I'm guessing you were just giving an example. Just want to make clear in case you're doing something wrong)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an alternate example to help drive the point home:

Barbarian is suffering from fire and has 1 wound.

Paladin attacks a monster, rolls 1 Heart and a number of stars to successfully hit the monster. Paladin has the Healer keyword, so any Heart he rolls is worth 2. He can use those two Hearts to heal the Barbarian's wound and remove the Fire effect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
I'm going to shamelessly plug my SDE Rundown on the files page here, in case you are looking for a quick reference for the other 40-odd keywords in this game...

SDE Rundown (Rules and Keywords)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deft Titan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember that even if you roll a potion/heart, you don't get it unless you actually score a wound on the attack roll.

So in your example, you said the barbarian rolls 2 stars and 2 hearts. If the target successfully defends and no wound is scored, you get 0 hearts. If you score a wound, you get the hearts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
And also don't forget if they have the skill of Luck (that sounded odd) they can treat a potion roll as a heart roll, or vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mangano
United States
Williamstown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I am trying to figure this one out still. I read the whole thread and nothing said here describes how Heal X works. First don't confuse Heal X with healer. They are not the same. The example given using the Paladin is correct but it has noting to do with Heal X.

First the manual already says that potions and hearts can given to other heroes no matter where they are so yeah if the Paladin rolls hearts and potions he can give those to another healer but so can all the other heroes the only difference there is the Paladin gets 2 hearts when he gets them on a roll.

The other example given with the barbarian doesn't make a whole lot sense either as far as Heal X is concerned since it is on her activation. Unless Heal X has to used before hand by hero that has it like the paladin otherwise it could be done because it is not his turn. The only thing I have seen in the book that can be out of turn is chugging a potion.

So I guess I am wondering when do you use Heal X. I fully understand the description given on the back of the Paladins card as far as what it can do but it doesn't explain how you do it.

Personally I have playing it more like Candy and Cola's move where she rolls 1 blue die at the start of her turn and how many stars she gets is how many potions she receives. In the Paladin's case the stars on blue die would be how many hearts he can heal or status effects he can remove.

An alternative I suppose closer to one example in here would be that the Paladin uses Heal X on his turn and this either affects all heroes rolls or a targeted one (Not sure which on that) and then it works as stated in the barbarian example because normally had hit and rolled 2 hearts she would only get to use one to either heal or remove a status effect while the other heart would thrown out. With Heal X in effect she can use both hearts.

This example sound reasonable but I still would like to know if when used does Heal X work for all heroes rolls or is restricted to a single target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
CJM1974 wrote:
The other example given with the barbarian doesn't make a whole lot sense either as far as Heal X is concerned since it is on her activation. Unless Heal X has to used before hand by hero that has it like the paladin otherwise it could be done because it is not his turn. The only thing I have seen in the book that can be out of turn is chugging a potion.

Right -- that's because there were two questions in the original post. This one is "How do you get rid of status effect other than potions?" So set that aside, since you're focused on Heal X.

CJM1974 wrote:
So I am trying to figure this one out still. I read the whole thread and nothing said here describes how Heal X works. First don't confuse Heal X with healer. They are not the same. The example given using the Paladin is correct but it has noting to do with Heal X.

First the manual already says that potions and hearts can given to other heroes no matter where they are so yeah if the Paladin rolls hearts and potions he can give those to another healer but so can all the other heroes the only difference there is the Paladin gets 2 hearts when he gets them on a roll.

So I guess I am wondering when do you use Heal X. [...]

You're making Heal X more complicated than it is, and you might be confusing it with Healer yourself. It is just as Tiago wrote in the first reply. When you activate an ability with Heal X, you immediately remove X wounds or status effects from the model in question.

So if the Paladin has four wound and uses a potion [Heal 3, Remedy], he immediately removes three of those wounds. It's always three, because it is "Heal 3." (He could remove status effects with the Heal, too, but the Remedy removes them all.)

So it doesn't have anything to do with rolling or other heroes or other turns (besides that, because the Paladin's using a potion, he can use it at any time). It is restricted to a single target, because that potion ability has no way to affect any other model (something like Range, or Aura or Augment).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
CJM1974 wrote:
(What I see as a confusing of Heal X with Cola)
Christopher, it bears to note that Candy's ability is simply "Cola", without any value attached (and the explanation at the back explains explicitly what one does with the Cola ability).

The Royal Paladin's ability is worded as "Heal 3", not "Heal X". The "Heal X" description is also quite clear on what the "X" is supposed to mean (a value that is the limit of wounds and bad status effects the ability can remove). In the case of the Paladin, he can remove 3 such things as the others have explained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.