GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,528 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Kings of Air and Steam» Forums » General

Subject: how does this compare to sky traders? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See title

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
See title

I typed up a long response, but then my computer did something weird, navigated away from the page, and it was lost

In short, I have not played Sky Traders, but based on reading the BGG description it sounds to me like there is not as much random effect or customization within a game of KoA&S. No combat, damage, or customizable upgrades (you CAN upgrade your Airship (cargo and Engine) in KoA&S, but that's a standard upgrade, not as detailed as hiring crew appears to be).

In KoA&S each player has a character with a specific ability that is unique for the game.

Also in KoA&S players do not negotiate or control prices, rather the price changing affects player motivation (which goods to pick up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to what Seth said above, KoA&S has a mechanic where you preplan your movement and can play more players (KoA&S actually goes up to 7 now since the kickstarter campaign). It looks like Sky Traders focuses on outfitting your airship, while KoA&S has more focus on forming good trade routes, judging the markets, clever planning, and outmaneuvering your opponents.

But, that's with a grain of salt, since I have not actually played Sky Traders. If there are any specific parts of KoA&S you are wondering about, please let me know - that I have played many, many times .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.