GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,246 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for both light and heavy games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff C
United States
Saratoga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking to expand my collection of board games. I'm in particular need of short, light card/board games and heavier games which don't take 180 minutes to finish up. Of the games that I've tried, I've listed a few of my favorites below:

Acquire: My first real board game, and still my favorite. I play the 1995 edition WITH power tiles, and it's a staple of my board game circle. I like the game mostly because piece play and money management are so crucial to this game, but also because of the competitive nature of the game, both in terms of share buying and board position.

Dominant Species: DS is a beautiful game with a solid theme. I love the concept, game flow, feel, and whatnot..BUT 6-player games usually end up taking way over 3 hours. I also wish there was less built-in complexity to the game (in terms of the all the possible actions you can place APs in), but I've grown to appreciate that.

Monopoly Deal: A light, fast game I can play with 2-7 people. It's nothing like the board game, thank goodness, and it's always fun to throw in some penalties for getting deal broken or losing the game.

Betrayal at House on the Hill: I love this game because of the many scenarios players can encounter once the haunt begins. Some haunts aren't as fun when mismatches pop up (a weak traitor in late game or a superbuff traitor in early game), but all in all, it's a fairly good light-medium game for our group. I'll admit the pre-haunt exploration isn't as exciting anymore, now that we've read the flavor text on the event cards a few times, but it's a good game to pick up now and then.

Thoughts? I was thinking something similar to Small World.

(I've yet to play any war games or dungeon games, but I figure I'll give those a shot later.)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how heavy you're thinking, but Carson City comes to mind for the heavy/quick end. There's a considerable amount of meat, a good variety of mechanics, but the game only lasts 4 rounds so it finishes relatively fast (i think it's 4, going by memory). Also, it's not as dry as other euros, I find myself much more willing to play this one over others.

On the light/quick side, For Sale definitely fits the description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For fun and fast light games, try out the Small World Family of games....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing time for small world says 90 minutes. I've played its predecessor "Vinci"; it's medium-light (2.4) but I wouldn't categorize it as fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb

Based on your like of Dom Species and your desire for shorter games, try

Lancaster

Homesteaders

Lords of Waterdeep

Urban Sprawl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.