GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,807 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: Destroyed/Discarded? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! blush

I do not understand the difference between destroyed and discarded in this game?

Thanks for you help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules:

Quote:
Destroy: When a card says to destroy another card, put the destroyed card in its owner’s discard pile.
Discard: When a card gets discarded, it goes to the discard pile of the player whose deck it came from, no matter who played or controlled it.

So basically the same thing, only 'destroy' is used on cards where you force another card to be discarded from play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah that simple? thanks!
I thought it had something to do with the discard pile the card went to... surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording itself might just be ways to seperate certain card actions.
They might be triggered by 'discarded' instead of 'destroyed'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cook
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I read it as a DISCARDED card leaves your HAND and goes to the discard pile, while a DESTROYED card leaves A/ANY BASE/S to go to the discard pile. Would I be correct in assuming this?

I played Unfathomable Goals and my friend had a Madness card in his hand. Our disagreement was that he read the card as, "Because he has a Madness card in his HAND, that he 'Destroys' a Minion from his HAND". Whereas, I read it as, "Because he has a Madness card in his HAND, that he 'Destroys' a Minion from a BASE".

Who is correct here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bennett
United States
Sturgeon Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I am pretty sure a minion can only be destroyed if it is on the table in play minions in your hand can not be destroyed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Only minions in play can be destroyed/targeted for destruction. Your friend doesn't get a free ride by dropping a card from his hand.

Cards are discarded when they go to your discard pile which includes things that instruct you to discard cards from your hands, discard cards from play, discard minions after a base is scored or after you destroy a minion it is discarded. The difference is there are some cards that trigger effects when destroyed whose effects would not trigger when they are discarded.

Moreso destroying a minion is considered affecting it whereas discarding a minion is not hence why cards like Terraforming will discard actions even if Steam Queen is in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Weidmaier
msg tools
mb
When a base is broken, do the minions on that base get "destroyed" or do they just go to the discard pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
ohjeremy91 wrote:
When a base is broken, do the minions on that base get "destroyed" or do they just go to the discard pile?

Okay seriously I try to be nice when I answer a question but I've got no patience for someone who clearly did not take a second to try to find the answer on his own.

Page 6 of the rulebook:
Quote:

Back to Your Corners
After scoring, players can use Special abilities that
happen “after” a base scores. Then all cards still
on that base go to their owners’ discard piles. This
does not destroy them
, but might trigger abilities
that happen when they go to the discard pile.
Put the scored base into the base discard pile.
Replace it with the top card of the base deck, if any.
Check to see if another base is ready to be scored.
Score it too, the same way.

Please at least look at the rulebook and maybe give the rules forum a search before asking your question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Please at least look at the rulebook and maybe give the rules forum a search before asking your question.

Looking at the rule book is much simpler when it is downloaded from the website and searched digitally. It's found at http://www.alderac.com/smashup, under the "About Smash Up" tab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.