GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,755 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Village» Forums » Variants

Subject: Spielbox's variant set up rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
spielbox wrote:
If all participants know what matters, then the player who begins has a clear advantage, and the existence of a marker that you need to acquire in order to become the new starting player is an obvious sign of this. In most cases, the last player gets one fewer resource than the fisrt player, prodvided the black cubes are distributed equally. The following idea for compensation also enables a slightly faster approach for all players, plus more options right from the start:

After players have distributed the resources on the spaces on the board as specified in the instructions, all available cubes are put into the black bag with the church representatives. The starting player draws two cubes more than number of participants (or one cube in the two-player game. He arranges then in as many piles as there are players. The last player in the normal order of play is the first to select a group of cubes, then his right neighbour, and so on, until the starting takes the remaining resources. After that, the black bag is emptied, of course.

Christwart Conrad/sbw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of these personally, as I don't feel the game is imbalanced. Though turn order is important, it is therefore in the players' interests to ensure that they are not the last player.

That said, the variant rules are available in Spielbox and other people have requested them (from me, knowing that I had access to them) so I thought I'd put it up here for people to make their own choices.

Spielbox is of course available here if you're in the UK or here as a digital download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless I am misreading, it seems like this takes black cubes completely out of play. If you're putting them in the church bag, they aren't available for selection. I can't even see playing the game this way as it removes one of the more interesting "penalties" from the game and also slows down aging. Hell, I've even played games where I took black cubes on the first pass in order to claim a spot in the chronicle. Again, unless I am misreading something, I truly do not understand the variant unless you're just looking for a completely different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
The black cubes are part of the setup.

I think he is just saying that right before the first player takes her turn, you draw cubes. It just so happens that the monk meeples are also in the bag because that is where they are at that point in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also confused. So players start with extra cubes? Do you then refill the action spaces on the board..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I'm also confused. So players start with extra cubes? Do you then refill the action spaces on the board..?

Yes, it's just giving extra cubes to start the game with, more to the later players.

You do all this *after* the board has been setup, there's no refilling to be done. You're just handing out some of the extra cubes that are still in the supply.

You use the church bag temporarily to do this, so that you don't mess up the cube bag, which already has some number and colour of cubes already in it due to setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! "All available cubes" I took to mean on the board, not in the supply. I'll have to try this!

So in a 2p game, I'm start player and so I put all cubes in the supply in the bag, then draw 3, then split them into one pile of 2 and one pile of 1..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Green
United States
Mclean
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of doing a little something to make up for the start-of-game first player advantage. Just to clarify, it seems like whatever the player count, everyone gets 2 cubes except the starting player, who gets 1? Except that wouldn't work for 4 player with 6 cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sound609 wrote:
Just to clarify, it seems like whatever the player count, everyone gets 2 cubes except the starting player, who gets 1? Except that wouldn't work for 4 player with 6 cubes.

Yes, in a 4 player game, the piles would be 1-1-2-2. 3 player is 1-2-2, 2 player 1-2.

To be technical though, they don't actually say how to split the piles. Perhaps the intention is to allow complete freedom in the piles, so the start player could split 3-1-1-1 in a 4 player game, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.